OT: anyone want to talk about Australia's gun laws?

The Interceptor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ambient Exposure View Post
I live in Australia (have my whole life) and have absolutely no idea what our gun laws are. Probably because I have no need/want to own a gun.
Plus we don't seem to have many fruitcakes running around with guns so I just think about it.
How do you protect yourself from kangaroos,dingos, snakes and aubergines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambient Exposure View Post
I live in Australia (have my whole life) and have absolutely no idea what our gun laws are. Probably because I have no need/want to own a gun.
Plus we don't seem to have many fruitcakes running around with guns so I just think about it.
Gun ownership and self defense are apparently not considered "rights" in Australia. You have to have a "good reason" to own a firearm, and the types you can have are fairly restricted - no handgun of over .38 caliber, and minimum barrel lengths in the 4+ inch range to make concealment harder. No autoloading or pump action shotguns, no semi-automatic rifles either IIRC.

Oz has had its share of nutcases with guns unfortunately. Wiki has a pretty good list of the various mass murders in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_mass_murders

While the 1996 Port Arthur massacre resulted in much stricter gun laws in Australia, it hasn't stopped gun violence. Criminals will still find ways to get guns - or will utilize other methods of mass murder, such as fire, bombs, driving a Mack truck into a hotel lobby, etc.

In fact, the worst mass murder at a school in the USA wasn't Columbine or Virginia Tech - it was the Bath School disaster, and it didn't involve firearms at all - it was all explosives, and over 44 were killed. And that happened way back in the 1920s.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Gun ownership and self defense are apparently not considered "rights" in Australia. You have to have a "good reason" to own a firearm, and the types you can have are fairly restricted - no handgun of over .38 caliber, and minimum barrel lengths in the 4+ inch range to make concealment harder. No autoloading or pump action shotguns, no semi-automatic rifles either IIRC.

Oz has had its share of nutcases with guns unfortunately. Wiki has a pretty good list of the various mass murders in Australia.

While the 1996 Port Arthur massacre resulted in much stricter gun laws in Australia, it hasn't stopped gun violence. Criminals will still find ways to get guns - or will utilize other methods of mass murder, such as fire, bombs, driving a Mack truck into a hotel lobby, etc.

In fact, the worst mass murder at a school in the USA wasn't Columbine or Virginia Tech - it was the Bath School disaster, and it didn't involve firearms at all - it was all explosives, and over 44 were killed. And that happened way back in the 1920s.
And some say you are judged by the company you keep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

The saddest thing is that a topic that should unite a country, looks like it will just drive it further apart

• Members

It also used to be pretty easy to buy explosives, but that was changed wasn't it?

• Members

I think the difference about guns vs other weapons is that guns can give anyone the opportunity to take a life at the pull of a trigger. Not so easy with a knife; bombs require planning and so-on (although I acknowledge that maybe a Mack truck is closer to a gun in terms of spontaneous violent outcomes - perhaps they cost too much?).

Criminals will indeed find guns, but events such as Port Arthur in Australia are generally not the actions of a criminal.

In any case, the gun-related murder rates of Australia vs USA tell a story - but is it about gun control, or something else in the two cultures? Occam's Razor would suggest the former.

Archived