so the world didnt end...

echodeluxe

• Members

I don't think I've run into any person in real life or even on the internet that took this seriously at all other than a half joking "haha what if... I'll pay my cell phone bill tomorrow instead!!

Apparently a lot of Russians took it pretty seriously though. Has anyone heard from Dr. Goldenlove?!?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snufkino

View Post

Prophesying the end of the world, or believing in it is one of the most bat-{censored} crazy things a person can have rattling round their skulls.

Speaking of which, what happened to that American guy who predicted the Rapture?

No joke, I think he had a heart attack and finally STFU. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I'm actually surprised nothing happened, in the sense that some "believers" would go (even more) crazy and go on a killing spree/suicide or something. Now I can't wait to find out what these believers are doing now, and what their thoughts are on their incredible stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

I had the sneaking suspicion that the world would go on. gotta love that hype train though. I kept seeing articles trying to disprove the end of the world theory, even nasa for {censored}s sake. don't they have anything better to do?

I guess they were doing this to avoid chaos.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

No joke, I think he had a heart attack and finally STFU. icon_lol.gif

I'll be honest I was hoping he was in jail or worse, on account of that incident where one of his followers tried to kill her own children then herself out of fear of the prediction he preached... oh well, a heart attack will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufkino

View Post

I'll be honest I was hoping he was in jail or worse, on account of that incident where one of his followers tried to kill her own children then herself out of fear of the prediction he preached... oh well, a heart attack will have to do.

People make stupid statements and predictions all the time. I don't think they should be held accountable for them just because someone was dumb or gullible enough to believe them. I particularly don't think they should be held accountable for the actions of others, unless their words actively encouraged those actual actions. IOW, predicting that the end of the world is coming on X date isn't a crime, although it is pretty dumb... but telling someone the end of the world is coming on X date, and then actively and persistently encouraging them to kill themselves and their kids - that should be illegal IMO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

People make stupid statements and predictions all the time. I don't think they should be held accountable for them just because someone was dumb or gullible enough to believe them. I particularly don't think they should be held accountable for the actions of others, unless their words actively encouraged those actual actions. IOW, predicting that the end of the world is coming on X date isn't a crime, although it is pretty dumb... but telling someone the end of the world is coming on X date, and then actively and persistently encouraging them to kill themselves and their kids - that should be illegal IMO.

The guy stole people's life savings. Don't blame the gullible; the dude's a criminal.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snowden

View Post

Right. The only people causing problems are the ones who think everything is fine and dandy.

They're not causing problems, they're fixing them and that's why everyone's getting happier and agreeing that everything is getting better.

I think the next "apocalypse thing" will be technology-related. We tried the Mayans, next we'll heed the wildly overblown warnings of The Terminator.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Leap years don't even play a factor. The solar year is 365.25 days and has been since humans have been taking record. How we add in that quarter day may have changed, but the solstices never change... and that's when the Mayan calendar ended (and began anew), on this particular winter solstice in the gregorian calendar year 2012.

But gregorian calendar has had gaps and it's not exactly 2012 right now.

It would be interesting some report on who got rich because of this end of the world thing

• Members

This "end of the world" idea is probably the most annoying thing I had to endure this year. Everyone was talking about it - either joking about it, or talking about how it could be real, or talking about how it could not be real, etc, etc.

I really don't understand what was there to talk about in the first place.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist

View Post

you do realize the Mayans are not an extinct race? facepalm.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Leap years don't even play a factor. The solar year is 365.25 days and has been since humans have been taking record. How we add in that quarter day may have changed, but the solstices never change... and that's when the Mayan calendar ended (and began anew), on this particular winter solstice in the gregorian calendar year 2012.

Oh geez glad I didn't know this the other night would have been freaked out, {censored}.

• Members

its funny, in a sad, typical european/white appropriation kind of way, how the hijacking of Mayan culture was effectively wrapped up and packaged.

The end of the world hype has been churned out by (usually) white, new age authors, and capitalized by the media and tv - like the discovery channel and the similar, which had all those doomsday shows. And the 2012 movie.

Archived