O/T iTunes rant

The Villano Dude

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

I think apple's exclusivity and inflexibility with their software will eventually lead to their decline in popularity.

I like apple products, but my God is apple greasy in how they limit you in only using their stuff. For example, I email myself a song that I recorded. I can listen to it on my email but my iphone will not let me download it and save it onto my device. This is because I'm not using itunes to download the mp3. Apple is so concerned that you buy everything through them that they prevent you from performing basic functions.

I know jailbreaking my phone can change this, but why should I have to "jailbreak" something, why is it in jail to begin with?

Same thing with introducing apple maps. Forcing you into inferior and less flexible software simply because they own it and can profit off of it.

I have also noticed that forced software upgrades slow down older devices to the point where you are almost forced to buy a new model to keep your sanity.

Apple is getting very annoying and yet they are still able to charge almost double the price for the same spec'd pc. I don't get it.

Hahaha, no, sorry man. Apple has been l about closed ecosystems and the collaboration between their own hardware and software since the beggining.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but it always makes me laugh when people think that apple will die off because of their restrictions.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Hahaha, no, sorry man. Apple has been l about closed ecosystems and the collaboration between their own hardware and software since the beggining.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but it always makes me laugh when people think that apple will die off because of their restrictions.

I'm not saying it will die off at all, but when the competitive products are capable of more with less restrictions for less cost then they will eventually have to rethink their current business model.

Also saying that Apple has been all about closed ecosystems and the collaboration between their own hardware and software since the beggining is true, or at least was true. but when you consider they are now running intel processors and Nvidia graphics cards, it kind of makes that argument less convincing. IMO

It's all about money

• Members

I'm with Travvy. This version has VASTLY improved the time required to scroll and search through my library. Plus, before, if I was playing a song, and tried to do something else, I'd better make sure that I was actively playing the song, or else it would lose my place. Now, I can pause the song, do something unrelated to that song (or playing music in general), and come back to the song exactly where I left it.

Anyway, I like it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

yeah... I don't get that at all.... it was perfect before, now it actually gives more useless information....

OK, I found that just pressing enter you got the normal list of findings, just have to ignore that "info box" that appears as you write.

• Members

Closed systems favor whomever control the system - in this case, Apple over the end user. And Travvy, w/all due respect, Apple may well "die off" (or more accurately, lose a great deal of market share and profitability) at some point ... it inevitably happens to most companies. They are lifestyle-product marketeers, which makes them vulnerable to the vicissitudes of fashion, and as hardware/formfactor competitors, they were geniuses of execution, with mediocre engineering.

In other words, the world's best design shop. So - when their design starts to piss people off, that's significant. However, I do think they still enjoy an enormous advantage.

As a person with more Lindows than IOS platforms in my house, I haven't bothered with iTunes or WMP in eons. I use MediaMonkey for playback (with some decent plug-ins helping sonically), and Exact Audio Copy to rip. I've used various things to burn CDs, currently with an older version of Roxio, but there's plenty of decent freeware out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

Closed systems favor whomever control the system - in this case, Apple over the end user. And Travvy, w/all due respect, Apple may well "die off" (or more accurately, lose a great deal of market share and profitability) at some point ... it inevitably happens to most companies. They are lifestyle-product marketeers, which makes them vulnerable to the vicissitudes of fashion, and as hardware/formfactor competitors, they were geniuses of execution, with mediocre engineering.

In other words, the world's best design shop. So - when their design starts to piss people off, that's significant. However, I do think they still enjoy an enormous advantage.

As a person with more Lindows than IOS platforms in my house, I haven't bothered with iTunes or WMP in eons. I use MediaMonkey for playback (with some decent plug-ins helping sonically), and Exact Audio Copy to rip. I've used various things to burn CDs, currently with an older version of Roxio, but there's plenty of decent freeware out there.

I'm not saying they'll never die out. But I firmly believe that if they do die out, it won't be because they use a closed/integrated system.

Archived