O/T iTunes rant

The Villano Dude

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Can you tell me a way to get "save as" back in my menu options Travis?

I often like to save alternative versions of mixes by date as I'm working on them. Sometimes Pro Tools will corrupt a mix or session file, and having other recent versions as separate files has saved my backside more than once. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has apparently decided they don't want me working that way anymore without making me jump through additional hoops. IMHO, that was a really dumb decision on their part.

File - Save As should be back in by default in Mountain Lion.

Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure. What OS are you running, Phil?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

I dislike the new itunes quite a bit. it is just a {censored}ing music player and does not need to be updated constantly to {censored} with us. just play music.

You're right. It should look like this again..

itunes1.jpg

This is first major iTunes update in quite sometime SAL. It was completely rewritten, it needed it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

You're right. It should look like this again..

itunes1.jpg

This is first major iTunes update in quite sometime SAL. It was completely rewritten, it needed it.

Simple is always better. How can you expect anyone to take your thoughts on any apple product seriously as you are without a doubt the biggest fan boy / kool aid drinker regarding Apple.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

Simple is always better. How can you expect anyone to take your thoughts on any apple product seriously as you are without a doubt the biggest fan boy / kool aid drinker regarding Apple.

Well I generally back up what I'm saying with reasons. I'm an Apple fanboy because I like what they do. And I do my best to help out anyone having Apple trouble here, so I'm fairly knowledgeable with what I'm talking about.

Whats not simple with the new iTunes to you? Coming from 10, yes it is a change, but not a huge one. Theres even a guided tour if you're having trouble navigating the program. The biggest thing about it is that it's now a full 64 bit cocoa app.

Another minor annoyance... their labeling the OS releases with cat names. It's too clever and cutesy by half IMO. It's also annoying and confusing. Why not just say ten point whatever? All the cat names do is confuse those who haven't memorized the sequence. Which is earlier - panther, tiger or snow leopard? Sure YOU know Travis - you're a power user... but for joe schmoe who just uses the thing, they probably have no idea, and even Apple isn't consistent with what they call things; referring to something as Lion or whatever in one sentence and in another doc, referring to the release by numerical value (10.X)

I ran into this just the other day when trying to determine what, if anything, I could install into my wife's old Mac Mini to make it software compatible with her new iPhone 4S so we could load some of her things from iTunes into the phone, etc. She was running 10.4.11 (I have no idea which cat that is... ) and I wanted to make sure whatever OS upgrade I ordered would not only work with the computer (old Core Duo 1.66 GHz with 2GB RAM - slow by today's standards, but sufficient for her limited needs), but allow it to work with the phone. It was needlessly complex having to try to go back and forth between two different "names" for the same thing.

I ordered her a OS 10.6 install disk, which I am pretty sure will do what she needs it to do for the phone and iTunes, while also still being compatible with her old machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Okay, so you're running Lion.

Simplest way would be to upgrade to Mountain Lion, where they brought back save as by default (smart move IMO)

Not until I know for certain that it is compatable with Pro Tools 10. smile.gif

I'll try to have a go at that - thanks! cool.gif

• Members

I have been back on macs since the Titanium g4 powerbook came out, and this version of iTunes stands as the most buggy. I don't want the damned album coverscas default, I do not like that I cannot double click the menu bar and collapse the window ( as I can in EVERY other mac program), and I don't like the settings options being more lmited. Plus, while havingit integrated into the OS for YEARS, you still can't color code files ( like mp3 s green and aac blue, etc). This release sucks.

• Members

View Post

Another minor annoyance... their labeling the OS releases with cat names. It's too clever and cutesy by half IMO. It's also annoying and confusing. Why not just say ten point whatever? All the cat names do is confuse those who haven't memorized the sequence. Which is earlier - panther, tiger or snow leopard? Sure YOU know Travis - you're a power user... but for joe schmoe who just uses the thing, they probably have no idea, and even Apple isn't consistent with what they call things; referring to something as Lion or whatever in one sentence and in another doc, referring to the release by numerical value (10.X)

I ran into this just the other day when trying to determine what, if anything, I could install into my wife's old Mac Mini to make it software compatible with her new iPhone 4S so we could load some of her things from iTunes into the phone, etc. She was running 10.4.11 (I have no idea which cat that is... ) and I wanted to make sure whatever OS upgrade I ordered would not only work with the computer (old Core Duo 1.66 GHz with 2GB RAM - slow by today's standards, but sufficient for her limited needs), but allow it to work with the phone. It was needlessly complex having to try to go back and forth between two different "names" for the same thing.

I ordered her a OS 10.6 install disk, which I am pretty sure will do what she needs it to do for the phone and iTunes, while also still being compatible with her old machine.

I can see where you're coming from there. Being a fanboi it's always been pretty easy for me to keep up with it, but if you're not following it, I bet it can get a little confusing.

View Post

Not until I know for certain that it is compatable with Pro Tools 10. smile.gif

I'll try to have a go at that - thanks! cool.gif

It's been fully compatible since November smile.gif

Starting with Pro Tools 10.3

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass

View Post

I have been back on macs since the Titanium g4 powerbook came out, and this version of iTunes stands as the most buggy. I don't want the damned album coverscas default, I do not like that I cannot double click the menu bar and collapse the window ( as I can in EVERY other mac program), and I don't like the settings options being more lmited. Plus, while havingit integrated into the OS for YEARS, you still can't color code files ( like mp3 s green and aac blue, etc). This release sucks.

I've had zero bugs whatsoever idn_smilie.gif

And the things you listed have never been 'needed' for me, so I would've never noticed them. It's good to hear it though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

This new iTunes takes a good 3 minutes to open for me now, and only opens about half the time. Absolutely horrible.

Wat?

Are you on Windows or a Mac? Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft

View Post

Whoa, really? Mine's way faster now.

Same

• Members

Indeed , I miss the "save as" thing, super useful to let YOU organize your documents, not to let Apple the control about it.

Didn't update to the latest version yet, mountain side white lion or whatelse, didn't find any of the "new" characteristics appealing to download it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrisos

View Post

This thread has a one word answer.

Spotify.

Ditch the CDs and bypass the downloading, welcome to the 21st century.

Maybe it's a sign that I am stuck in the 20th century but I occasionally like to be able to burn CDs so that I can listen to them in my non-iPod ready 2006 car.

I know, I know -- first world problems. facepalm.gif

• Members

The iTunes update has been a major pain in my a$s. Not sure how, but it blew out the album artwork on about 20% of my albums. I'm not crazy about the new layout either.

I haven't tried Spotify yet... I use Pandora all the time. But the one thing I love about iTunes is the customization of Playlists, genres, comments, EQ, release year, etc. If Spotify doesn't do this, then it isn't a replacement for me.

• Members

I think apple's exclusivity and inflexibility with their software will eventually lead to their decline in popularity.

I like apple products, but my God is apple greasy in how they limit you in only using their stuff. For example, I email myself a song that I recorded. I can listen to it on my email but my iphone will not let me download it and save it onto my device. This is because I'm not using itunes to download the mp3. Apple is so concerned that you buy everything through them that they prevent you from performing basic functions.

I know jailbreaking my phone can change this, but why should I have to "jailbreak" something, why is it in jail to begin with?

Same thing with introducing apple maps. Forcing you into inferior and less flexible software simply because they own it and can profit off of it.

I have also noticed that forced software upgrades slow down older devices to the point where you are almost forced to buy a new model to keep your sanity.

Apple is getting very annoying and yet they are still able to charge almost double the price for the same spec'd pc. I don't get it.

Archived