Is the Pro Co RAT good at cutting through live mix?

Elessar [Sly]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
The rat I had before was similar the this MIJ DS-2, but again I never used it in a band situation with two guitarists. I just need to find one cheap online.

I'm assuming the RAT will work well with a fuzz buffered Wah?

yarp...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
The rat I had before was similar the this MIJ DS-2, but again I never used it in a band situation with two guitarists. I just need to find one cheap online.

I'm assuming the RAT will work well with a fuzz buffered Wah?

yarp...

• Members

Nice, IMO there's really so little real life difference between the sound of the new production ones and the older reissues that I'd rather have the convenience (and 5 year "anything and everything" warranty) than dealing with an older unit.

• Members

Nice, IMO there's really so little real life difference between the sound of the new production ones and the older reissues that I'd rather have the convenience (and 5 year "anything and everything" warranty) than dealing with an older unit.

• Members

Cuts through as good as any other distortion in the same price range, if not better. I keep telling everyone though, the key to making a rat sound great instead of good, imo: Ruetz mod, gain cranked, mild dist/od/fuzz in front of it or slightly crunchy amp.

Congratz on the ebay score. Not that it matters anymore, but to anyone else who gives a sh*t and doesn't know already: +1 on the Black Secret suggestion. Compared it to my mia LM308 Rat, and amazingly enough the cheap tiny Mooer came REALLY close. Pretty much identical actually, only with the little extra versatility the toggle switch gives you. Which is actually more like a set and forget kind of switch imo. I think most people will like one setting and hate the other, maybe depending on your amp or whatever.

• Members

Cuts through as good as any other distortion in the same price range, if not better. I keep telling everyone though, the key to making a rat sound great instead of good, imo: Ruetz mod, gain cranked, mild dist/od/fuzz in front of it or slightly crunchy amp.

Congratz on the ebay score. Not that it matters anymore, but to anyone else who gives a sh*t and doesn't know already: +1 on the Black Secret suggestion. Compared it to my mia LM308 Rat, and amazingly enough the cheap tiny Mooer came REALLY close. Pretty much identical actually, only with the little extra versatility the toggle switch gives you. Which is actually more like a set and forget kind of switch imo. I think most people will like one setting and hate the other, maybe depending on your amp or whatever.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf

View Post

They're build like tanks, the lack of warranty would be the least of my concern. But I totally agree: An old one would probably cost more as a brand new one, and the difference in tone is neglectable imo.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf

View Post

They're build like tanks, the lack of warranty would be the least of my concern. But I totally agree: An old one would probably cost more as a brand new one, and the difference in tone is neglectable imo.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stevemcb View Post
If you're after a cheap Rat, check out the Mooer Black Secret... $44 thanks Ren.
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post

I have enough Mooer pedals on my board lol. In fact, I am selling the pure octave today. They're great pedals; and the pitch box and pure octave are brilliant. But if I am using a pedal for main dirt at rehearsal/for live gigs, I wan't something a little bigger and sturdy than the little mooer pedal. The enclosures are solid, but the knob and little switches could easily be stamped off of the pedal if you weren't careful with it. For a main dirt pedal; it needs to be relatively solid, I know the RAT 2 is small, but I recall it being more prone to abuse.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stevemcb View Post
If you're after a cheap Rat, check out the Mooer Black Secret... $44 thanks Ren.
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post

I have enough Mooer pedals on my board lol. In fact, I am selling the pure octave today. They're great pedals; and the pitch box and pure octave are brilliant. But if I am using a pedal for main dirt at rehearsal/for live gigs, I wan't something a little bigger and sturdy than the little mooer pedal. The enclosures are solid, but the knob and little switches could easily be stamped off of the pedal if you weren't careful with it. For a main dirt pedal; it needs to be relatively solid, I know the RAT 2 is small, but I recall it being more prone to abuse.

Archived