When you buy a guitar do you expect..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Like I said - good techs can sometimes be hard to find. Good techs that listen to what you are asking for, and try their best to deliver, are rarer still. The ones that actually do deliver - they're the ones you want to give your business to. Ask around. Other musicians (especially the good ones) will often be able to tell you who does good work locally - and who you should avoid. Same with local studios. They'll often know the names and numbers of the area's a-list techs.

It was a complete fluke. I was recommended this guy through a shop a couple towns over. I didn't tell him anything other than I needed my new pickups and pots installed in my V along with being set up for heavier strings and a lower tuning. Didn't tell him anything about set up. The guy did a beautiful job with that guitar. Was such a delight to play after that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've only ever had one new guitar (my JJ) that was correctly intonated - every other instrument I've bought required basic work before it was usable.

But it seems that there's a lot of guys out there who have no idea about gear: when I bought my Heritage H150 used (through HC) the setup was the worst I'd ever had, and mentioning this to the seller he told me it had a 'pro setup' a year before, but he never really got on with it. Just shocking. I have a feeling there's a lot of guys like that (youtube demos confirm it!).

• Members

I've only ever had one new guitar (my JJ) that was correctly intonated - every other instrument I've bought required basic work before it was usable.

But it seems that there's a lot of guys out there who have no idea about gear: when I bought my Heritage H150 used (through HC) the setup was the worst I'd ever had, and mentioning this to the seller he told me it had a 'pro setup' a year before, but he never really got on with it. Just shocking. I have a feeling there's a lot of guys like that (youtube demos confirm it!).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain

View Post

it to be setup? Both guitars had a deposit put down on them and 2 weeks between the down payment and pick up. And neither was setup at all. No truss rod adjustment, no height or intonation done. Is it just me or is this totally {censored}ed up?

Did you do the down payment before playing the guitars? Did you tell the shop guy what kind of setup you wanted? The type of strings, amount of relief, string height, pickup clearance?

If a guitar doesn't at least have an average setup I won't buy it. How can you know how it plays otherwise?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain

View Post

it to be setup? Both guitars had a deposit put down on them and 2 weeks between the down payment and pick up. And neither was setup at all. No truss rod adjustment, no height or intonation done. Is it just me or is this totally {censored}ed up?

Did you do the down payment before playing the guitars? Did you tell the shop guy what kind of setup you wanted? The type of strings, amount of relief, string height, pickup clearance?

If a guitar doesn't at least have an average setup I won't buy it. How can you know how it plays otherwise?

• Members

I expect a guitar to be in playable condition and able to adjust to my liking.

I recently acquired a James Trussart Steelcaster Deluxe.

The guitar was used @ $2199.00 and needed a string change in the worst way.

I did the string change; intonation; string height adjustment but it needed more to make it at it's full potential.

I had my luthier look at it and he told me a fret dressing would be in order.

Done.

My luthier charges me much less than others since I've been using him for $20+ years.

At full retail, this Trussart would be close to $5k.

Now it's at it's full potential.

• Members

I did the string change; intonation; string height adjustment but it needed more to make it at it's full potential.

Done.

My luthier charges me much less than others since I've been using him for $20+ years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bbreaker

View Post

Done.

That's a guitar I've been lustin after for a long time. How is it?

• Members

If I bought a guitar from Guitar Center I wouldn't expect anything in the way of setup; the instruments on the floor at my GC are never ever ever setup properly (or even close) and if you're not getting it from the floor it's just going to come straight out of the box anyways without anyone even taking a look at it.

At my favorite little higher-end-ish guitar shop, I know that anything I buy will come setup with 10s, good intonation/action, no mechanical or electronic problems, and the truss rod where it should be - even if it's only a $400 guitar. That's because they sell mostly used stuff and take great care of it; they don't have a back room full of NIB guitars to save you from the demo instruments. I still would NOT expect them to give me a new set-up free of charge when I inevitably switch the 10s for 11s, but that's not really a big enough change to require one.

Archived