Jump to content

FMIC destroys another classic brand - no more Hamer


BG76

Recommended Posts

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I had a Heritage rep tell me just this week that the main reason why Heritage isn't more popular is because his guitars don't say 'Gibson' on the headstock. I told him he should probably stop making Gibson copies then if it was holding back the throng of potential buyers.

 

I thought it was because they have the worst headstock ever.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I had a Heritage rep tell me just this week that the main reason why Heritage isn't more popular is because his guitars don't say 'Gibson' on the headstock. I told him he should probably stop making Gibson copies then if it was holding back the throng of potential buyers.

 

I thought it was because they have the worst headstock ever.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

This tread was started with little to no information. I like that. Knee jerk posting is the foundation of this forum.

 

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!?


Also are you Jamaican?


"Dis tread be serious! Iandi gonna axe you sum questions, blodclot."


 

Quote Originally Posted by dparr

View Post

You need to get out more.

 

You own one, don't you.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

This tread was started with little to no information. I like that. Knee jerk posting is the foundation of this forum.

 

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!?


Also are you Jamaican?


"Dis tread be serious! Iandi gonna axe you sum questions, blodclot."


 

Quote Originally Posted by dparr

View Post

You need to get out more.

 

You own one, don't you.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I have to disagree with you. I'll take my 1957 6120 with the Brazilian rosewood board and those great old Dynasonics and all the American made hardware, high grade wood and craftsmanship. The Baldwin stuff was bad, I agree with you there but owning/having owned a lot of the reissue stuff (Tenn Rose, Country Gent, Elliot Easton, Falcon, Sparkle & Pearl Jet) to say that it's anywhere close to what they were doing in the mid-50s is insanity.

 

Someone else mentioned Gretsch's near-legendary inconsistency, and suggested that the MIJ stuff is on a par with the 50s era USA models - I didn't. smile.gif What I said was that the USA built models being made today are on par with, or exceed anything Gretsch has ever made in terms of materials and build quality.


Have you ever played any of the current Gretsch custom shop models? If you're a Gretsch fan, you really should give one a try if you get the opportunity. They're incredible guitars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

I have to disagree with you. I'll take my 1957 6120 with the Brazilian rosewood board and those great old Dynasonics and all the American made hardware, high grade wood and craftsmanship. The Baldwin stuff was bad, I agree with you there but owning/having owned a lot of the reissue stuff (Tenn Rose, Country Gent, Elliot Easton, Falcon, Sparkle & Pearl Jet) to say that it's anywhere close to what they were doing in the mid-50s is insanity.

 

Someone else mentioned Gretsch's near-legendary inconsistency, and suggested that the MIJ stuff is on a par with the 50s era USA models - I didn't. smile.gif What I said was that the USA built models being made today are on par with, or exceed anything Gretsch has ever made in terms of materials and build quality.


Have you ever played any of the current Gretsch custom shop models? If you're a Gretsch fan, you really should give one a try if you get the opportunity. They're incredible guitars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim

View Post

Just about every old Gretsch I ever saw had problems. Rotting binding mostly, but a lot of bad neck joints, crappy pots, and other niggles the Gibsons of the same age don't usually display. In the Baldwin era they got worse. Fred farming out distribution and production to FMIC was the best thing that could have happened to the brand. Saved it from the dustbin of history, and they are good instruments nowadays up and down the line, tho still quirky. If they wern't a little quirky then the wouldn't be a Gretsch, lol.

 

I'll assume that you haven't seen many old Gretsch guitars. I have seen my share of basket case mid 60s -> Baldwin era models but as for the 50s/early 60s stuff they were top notch.


Here is my 1957 6120 - none of the issues you speak of. If someone abuses their guitar or stores it wrong you'll have problems. This one never had a reset, pots replaces, etc.... While I agree with you on the Baldwin stuff (and some of the 60s stuff before that) the old guitars were fantastic and the new ones (I have some of both) are not the same with regard to neck shape, sound or quality.


This one has never been repaired or changed. No binding rot, neck issues, etc....


Compared to the plastic covered {censored}ty sounding pieces of garbage reissues I have owned the reissues shouldn't even carry the brand (ditto the Fender branded low end junk).


Perfect intonation, low action and no buzzing:


DSCN0034.jpg


Where are the "binding issues" that all old Gretsch guitars have?


2012-10-21132146.jpg


Pickups that actually sound like a Gretsch guitar:


DSCN0022.jpg


DSCN0031.jpg


DSCN0037.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Have you ever played any of the current Gretsch custom shop models? If you're a Gretsch fan, you really should give one a try if you get the opportunity. They're incredible guitars.

 

Yes I have. I have a Steven Stills White Falcon that was made by Heritage (great guitar). It's a shame Heritage didn't build all of them. However, it doesn't sound much like the old White Falcon a friend of mine has but it's still a great guitar.


As for the Fender CS models, I can find old ones for about the same money in a lot of cases so they just don't do it for me. I know Fender Custom Shop quality is not what it used to be either. Back in the late 80s/early 90s they had an article that said if you want a guitar with zebra tuners and a custom shaped body with a fuzz finish they would do it (not that I want that) but they would actually hand build you anything you wanted and it was about 12 people who did so. Today I walk into GC and the wall is full of CS guitars so they're either having those guys work 24/7/365 or they're cranking them out in the factory and putting a decal on them. Sure, "Masterbuilt" are good guitars (I ordered two last year) and they'll make you what you want but that's what "Custom Shop" money used to get you.


I'm not really a Gretsch fan. I like their guitars and own a couple old ones (the one above and another Nashville, which does have some issues as I bought it as a parts guitar). I have a bunch of the reissues (Elliot Easton, Pearl Jet, Sparkle Jet, Country Club, Country Gent) most of them I bought really cheap and thought they looked cool but the pickups just sound nothing like the old Gretsch guitars, they're way too much like high gain pickups and the neck shapes, plastic finishes and shoddy construction/low grade woods make them little more then wall hangers for me.


I guess if I'm a big fan of anything it would be Les Pauls. For all the grief Henry J gets at least the Historic guitars I own are in the same ballpark as my old Gibson stuff.


When a brand starts making junk - be it Fender, Gretsch, BMW, etc... it's always sad. In the case of Hamer I always thought of the cool guitars Rick Neilson, Martin Barre, Scott Henderson, etc... used to play, or at the very least those kick ass LP Jr copies they made in the mid 90s. The junk FMIC made with that name on it is just pathetic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. smile.gif The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

 

Totally agree with this. I have played quite a few vintage Gretsch's, and of them all there was only one that wasn't a total POS. And it was just okay.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. smile.gif The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

 

Totally agree with this. I have played quite a few vintage Gretsch's, and of them all there was only one that wasn't a total POS. And it was just okay.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.




×
×
  • Create New...