Game of Thrones

Ryan.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

haha it was good, no giant knight... but a couple battles. frustrating, i just want the good guys to win and it be over... i can't take this hour long drama and then the bad guys are still alive!

Dude stop watching now! The theme of the story could be good guys never win... or nothing ever ends well for the Starks.

• Members

++1! This was huge disappoint in the book. Was so out of character. I almost stopped reading series from this point. The author really should have done better job with Ned.

i'm confused. how the {censored} could the AUTHOR OF THE BOOK portray his own character incorrectly???

• Members

i'm confused. how the {censored} could the AUTHOR OF THE BOOK portray his own character incorrectly???

Seriously. I think someone misunderstands Ned as a character. He is a total badass with absolutely no concept of deceit. It just makes no sense to him. He is held up as an ideal in a secular world; looks great but completely over matched by those willing to lie, cheat, and steal. As I said in another thread, he is awesomely pathetic.

• Members

From get go Ned never trusted the Queen (Lannisters). Especially after what she did to his daughter and his son. The author makes him out to be honorable yet cautious, wise and smart (this is from the book). Countless times she deceives him. And he knows this. Yet he goes and tells her that he's knows about her past. It just seemed to me that it was out character. If Ned was a fool, naive and unwise I can understand. I'll admit I haven't watched the show yet. Maybe his character is different in TV series.

• Members

Ned doesn't have *any* political savvy - that is abundantly clear in the books and in the series, and it is something he himself knows, but circumstance (read: Robert) has put him in a situation in which he is completely out of his depth. He knows what is going on but is incapable of making tough, real, political decisions.

He's not a stupid but he is a fool, a total fool - he's supposed to be. Remember (for instance) how Littlefinger mocks him for refusing to say the word "bribery" when talking about the city guard; that's him feebly attempting to reconcile himself to realpolitik, but far too late.

He is a sympathetic character - loves his family, great warrior, decent northern overlord etc - but a ridiculously ineffective political animal unsuited to King's Landing or being the Hand or Regent. The fact that he is forced into this is part of the tragedy of the Starks.

• Members

Also, lesbian fisting was distracting

Yeah, what the {censored}? I never thought I would complain about this, but I was trying to listen to that guy's back story but couldn't hear it under all that moaning. I figure they were like "hmm how can we make this boring monologue interesting...Oh! Let's have two chicks {censored}ing! That makes everything interesting!"

• Members

Ned doesn't have *any* political savvy - that is abundantly clear in the books and in the series, and it is something he himself knows, but circumstance (read: Robert) has put him in a situation in which he is completely out of his depth. He knows what is going on but is incapable of making tough, real, political decisions.

He's not a stupid but he is a fool, a total fool - he's supposed to be. Remember (for instance) how Littlefinger mocks him for refusing to say the word "bribery" when talking about the city guard; that's him feebly attempting to reconcile himself to realpolitik, but far too late.

He is a sympathetic character - loves his family, great warrior, decent northern overlord etc - but a ridiculously ineffective political animal unsuited to King's Landing or being the Hand or Regent. The fact that he is forced into this is part of the tragedy of the Starks.

This makes sense. I think i was making him out to be too perfect. Like he know he's was getting screwed but he allowed it. After I got done reading the chapter I was like WTF... :facepalm:Why would he do that?

• Members

A+. Man, I wish you could help me teach my English 101 students about reading fiction.

• Members

From get go Ned never trusted the Queen (Lannisters). Especially after what she did to his daughter and his son. The author makes him out to be honorable yet cautious, wise and smart (this is from the book). Countless times she deceives him. And he knows this. Yet he goes and tells her that he's knows about her past. It just seemed to me that it was out character. If Ned was a fool, naive and unwise I can understand. I'll admit I haven't watched the show yet. Maybe his character is different in TV series.

The reason Ned tells her is because he knew Robert's rage and he didnt want the blood of children on his hands.

• Members

:lol: (edit - at operator's pic)

edit: @ oxyrhino - It's not all about the failure of the protagonists, though. Some do very well. Whether you like them or not, whether they "deserve" to do well, isn't really relevant.

(But, fwiw, there are some righteous characters who I love who - at the moment i.e. with book 5 about to arrive - are doing just fine)

Archived