Game of Thrones

Ryan.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm watching it, but I have to say that I find it lot less fascinating than everyone else. I mean, it's okay, and they have some attractive women getting naked, but it's just somewhat dull. It's alot of characters sitting around and talking and talking and talking about either what happened years ago or what they're planning to do. Maybe I was thrown off because the opening scene was so cool, but everything after that has been rather lackluster in my opinion. Right now, it kind of feels like Rosemary's Baby if the last scene had been first. Like we're stuck watching a pregnant chick in a hotel room getting all stressed out, when we really just want to see more of those wacky satan-worshipping geriatrics down the hall.

This. And more of this.

It doesn't need a lot, but just SOMETHING to wet the appetite a little

• Members

I'm watching it, but I have to say that I find it lot less fascinating than everyone else. I mean, it's okay, and they have some attractive women getting naked, but it's just somewhat dull. It's alot of characters sitting around and talking and talking and talking about either what happened years ago or what they're planning to do. Maybe I was thrown off because the opening scene was so cool, but everything after that has been rather lackluster in my opinion.

I like the fact that they're not having sword fights every five minutes. it would be very easy to fall into fantasy clich

• Members

Ah, the straw man argument. I didn't ask for sword fights or explosions or anything like that. Just someone to do something, to take an action that has immediate consequences.

I know what you mean. I wasn't really arguing with you; just saying that, as an adaptation, it could have very easily turned out terrible.

I've personally found it pretty gripping so far, it's definitely building to something - and since it's the first season the writers are having to introduce a whole new world as well as tell the story. I haven't read the books though so i can't tell if it could've been done differently.

You're a TV editor aren't you? how would you be doing it differently if you were running the show? (serious question, not being sarcastic)

• Members

I know what you mean. I wasn't really arguing with you; just saying that, as an adaptation, it could have very easily turned out terrible.

I've personally found it pretty gripping so far, it's definitely building to something - and since it's the first season the writers are having to introduce a whole new world as well as tell the story. I haven't read the books though so i can't tell if it could've been done differently.

You're a TV editor aren't you? how would you be doing it differently if you were running the show? (serious question, not being sarcastic)

Ah, someone remembers my profession. I'm touched. This sort of thing falls rather far out of my area of expertise, because most of my professional life has been spent working in the reality genre, where you're basically trying to make a story out of a bunch of random footage. In terms of editing, this is the total opposite, because it's all scripted and (most likely) heavily storyboarded ahead of time, so the editing is all about controlling the pacing and getting the best performances on screen. So I don't really have a more informed opinion than anyone else when it comes to this show.

Plus, having not read any of the books (I'm not big into fantasy lit), I don't know what I would have done differently in this case. But, I just know that I enjoy stories better when there are key story beats (i.e. turning points, twists, characters making decisions and taking actions that change the dynamic of those around them) that occur more frequently and with greater impact. It just seems like the show is so bogged down with backstory at this point that no one is really doing anything in the present. Maybe they're being too faithful to the books? Maybe they should shuffle some stuff around or condense something to make it progress quicker? Then again, maybe these slow first episodes will pay off later in the season, as bass econo suggests? I don't know. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm not really sold on it yet, either.

• Members

Like I said if it sticks closely to the book it will be epic. Also I predict everyone who likes the show will be really pissed at the last episode. REALLY PISSED.

Yeah, probably.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Renly character may have been rumored to be gay in the book. Like briefly. As of last night's episode Renly and Loras are super flaming gay in the HBO series.

Archived