Muy Caliente VOX Pathfinder 15/15r Modification

SnorkelMonkey

• Members

Sorry to hear that. I understand the situation now. You could send it to me and I could solder a set in for you free if you would like?

Nah - I'll work it out somehow. I appreciate the offer, though - very nice of you, thanks. I'm the one who did the mod, it was my decision and so ultimately it's my responsibility, not yours. I think it's a good mod for volume and headroom, too, I just used it more for low vol. practice and it wasn't for me. So I'll figure it out somehow, thanks.

PS - come to think of it - if you could tell me what diodes to get, I guess there is no reason why I couldn't at least try to reverse it myself. It was hard getting those buggers out, so I have no idea how I would get them in which seems 10x harder, but I guess there's nothing to lose by trying. :cop:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PS - come to think of it - if you could tell me what diodes to get, I guess there is no reason why I couldn't at least try to reverse it myself. It was hard getting those buggers out, so I have no idea how I would get them in which seems 10x harder, but I guess there's nothing to lose by trying.
:cop:

These are just the standard (not ultra-bright) red LEDs. You can pick them up at Fry's or Rat Shack pretty cheap, less than a buck? I believe they used the 3mm sized but size will not matter here, there was plenty of space if I remember correctly?

You'll see that each will have two legs, one longer than the other indication polarity. Just face one where the long leg faces one direction and the other where the long leg faces the opposite direction. Solder them up by quickly hitting them with a touch of solder (not too long or you'll damage the LED) and you're done.

• Members

Replacing the LEDs is simple. One goes one way, and the other goes the other way. It doesn't matter which is which.

I know Radioshack will have the 5mm LEDs. They may have the 3mm ones you need. You could actually use the 5mm ones in a pinch as well, though you may find that they clip the signal differently.

EDIT: I type slowly, but yeah, what SnorkelMonkey said. :lol:

• Members

I think putting a ceramic Weber Signature speaker in the Pathfinder does a great deal for headroom and tone...I think I'll pass on physically messing with the circuit.

I put one of those in and pulled it. I really like the range the stock speaker gives it. I wish I could find out who makes those speakers for Korg? Cheapies I know but IMO they sound fantastic in this amp!

• Members

Thanks chris and SM - I'll definitely give it try. Maybe my cheapie RS soldering iron just sucks, I held it on there for like a minute or more, working it all around, and it still seemed hard to get them out. I was afraid if I held on there much longer I was going to damage the PCB.

• Members

Hey walrus1, if you have trouble finding replacement LEDs let me know and I'll send you the ones I pulled. I marked the legs, too; didn't know about the different lengths and opposite orientation, so I marked up everything.

For me, the tricky part in pulling them was keeping both legs (or really, both solder points) hot at the same time. I'd melt one point enough to wiggle the leg, then move to the other and by the time that one was ready the first was too cold to release the leg. It was a matter of toggling back and forth quickly between the solder points until they were both hot enough, followed by a quick pull (using needle-nose pliers - those LEDs got HOT). Similar approach should work for getting them back in.

Sorry to hear that the mod isn't to your liking, but hopefully you'll be able to reverse it without too much trouble. :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wanted to update that I put in some 5mm LEDs this weekend. They're all I could get from RS.

The results are really good, imo - it's like the best of both worlds between stock and no LEDs. Headroom is still good, probably about 80% of what it is with the original mod, and it still retains a very slight amount of the original character, but without being fizzy. There's also just enough bleed off from the 5mm to get rid of that super piercing, almost metallic sounding kind of high end that seems to happen with no LEDs. Much smoother, clearer, more open sounding and defined all around.

I'm running it in stereo now with a little DA-5, and even with that tiny amp it sounds pretty big. Two pathfinders with this mod together in stereo would be incredible. :thu:

Btw, the braid really does help. Turns out I had some that came with the iron, and it took out the solder without a hitch, leaving two clean holes. Then I just put in the LEDs and dropped some dollops of solder on the wires. I made a mistake and pushed the leds all the way in flush with the PCB (never soldered before :o), but it seems to be okay. Very cool - I'm glad I tried this, I learned a lot. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Hey SnorkelMonkey, since you're the Pathfinder mod king I thought I'd ask you, but anyone else feel free to chime in :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to install a couple of switches to turn the Reverb and Tremolo on/off instead of just turning the knob down? The foot switch can turn off the trem, so I assume it would be possible to run wires from the foot switch jack (pic 1) to a switch (I'm never going to buy/use the foot switch so I don't care if it doing this removes that function).

The foot switch doesn't turn off the reverb though so could the pot just be switched out of the circuit? and if that's possible then I suppose that would be best for the trem too.

There's room in the chassis for a couple of switches (pic 2) where I've put the red Xs that wouldn't interfere with the knobs.

zPBeX.jpg

MPWoM.jpg

And finally for your amusement here's my pathfinder after it went to the dentist to have a couple of teeth out :D

2JSKE.jpg

• Members

Hey SnorkelMonkey, since you're the Pathfinder mod king I thought I'd ask you, but anyone else feel free to chime in
:)

I was wondering if it would be possible to install a couple of switches to turn the Reverb and Tremolo on/off instead of just turning the knob down? The foot switch can turn off the trem, so I assume it would be possible to run wires from the foot switch jack (pic 1) to a switch (I'm never going to buy/use the foot switch so I don't care if it doing this removes that function).

The foot switch doesn't turn off the reverb though so could the pot just be switched out of the circuit? and if that's possible then I suppose that would be best for the trem too.

There's room in the chassis for a couple of switches (pic 2) where I've put the red Xs that wouldn't interfere with the knobs.

And finally for your amusement here's my pathfinder after it went to the dentist to have a couple of teeth out
:D

I say a huh huh yeah man.

Fat%2BElvis.jpg

Chris, I don't have the P15r schematic (only the P15 tremolo only) but it will likely be the same thing for the reverb. Take a set of alligator clip jumpers and jumper the center lug of the depth pot to ground while the tremolo is on at full depth (be careful not to touch the mains voltage you'll get a nice zap if you're not careful). When you jumper that it should turn the tremolo off. You'll then solder up your switch to make or break that connection to ground turning the tremolo on or off. The thing is is you already basically have that with the foot switch. If you don't have a foot switch I would build one of those first and see if you like it before you go through the hassle. ;)

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Hey SnorkelMonkey, since you're the Pathfinder mod king I thought I'd ask you, but anyone else feel free to chime in
:)

zPBeX.jpg

MPWoM.jpg

And finally for your amusement here's my pathfinder after it went to the dentist to have a couple of teeth out
:D

2JSKE.jpg

There is a jack in the back for a footswitch. I used my Ampeg Gemini I footswitch with it - just two latching switches to a TRS plug. One switch turns On/OFF the Trem, the other the boost... It would be way easier just to build a switch.

However, You could install a switch for the reverb but its up to you whether you think its really worth it. I don't think the reverb is all the grate - maybe time to mod it? :idea:

• 9 months later...

Archived