I want EHX to build me this pedal....

• Members

Bass board.JPG

My band is a duo now, so I split the signal from my tuner and make the bass notes myself. Sometimes it feels like a drag to always have to go hit the E and A strings and not be free to roam the top strings up above the 12th fret, but then again, my band is now pretty darn punkish, so I'm playing the role, and I rather like being the only one on stage playing notes.

When my drummer/singer and I started doing this last year, I was using the Boss OC-3, whose "polyphonic" mode lets you set a cutoff point and only send notes below it through the octaver. But the POG's tracking is sooooo much better, so I wanted to use it for polyphonic mode. This setup sounds better, but still far far from perfect. I send the signal  through an EQ and crossover to isolate the frequencies below 220 hz. Then run it through the MicroPOG, which is cool cuz i can use the dry and octave-up to mix in some synthetic harmonics (seein as how I cut out those bass notes' harmonics above 220). Then I have to run it through a bass eq cuz this cheapo crossover's curve makes my E string notes WAYYYYY louder than my A string notes. Then send it to a compressor to help even out that crossover's curve even more.

In the end, it works. It puts out loud fundamental bass frequencies that sound more like a low thump extension to the guitar than a separate instrument. However, if the venue's sound guy doesn't know what he's doing, or if the power supplies in the venue are poor, my bass sound will be noisy as hell.

So Electro Harmonix, please build me a pedal that will do all this well, using your octaving technology! The kids will be all over it!

How do you like the Rolls crossover? Coincidentally, I was just looking at those online today. The main concern to me is the input and output impedance, although a buffer in front of it would probably be enough to deal with the input impedance issue.

So... any comments or concerns?

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

How do you like the Rolls crossover? Coincidentally, I was just looking at those online today. The main concern to me is the input and output impedance, although a buffer in front of it would probably be enough to deal with the input impedance issue.

So... any comments or concerns?

Hey Phil, i can't really comment on it for anything other than how I've been applying it. I go through the input and then only from the low output...

It was the cheapest easiest form of low pass filter I could readily find, so i got it to experiment. So for my application (running out of the bypass out of my Korg DT-10) the Rolls curve is really steep. I mean, it acts like a very low Q setting. I set the crossover point around 120-150, and notes pass through all the way up through my D string, BUT, the first guitar octave is WAY WAY louder than the second. So i put that cheapo DOD eq i had been using in front of it and pull way down on 100 hz. This helps a little bit. Then after passing the crossover and going through the POG, i have the bass eq and pull all the way down on 55 hz (the first octave of a bass guitar). This finally gets the first octave down under control. But i still have to run it through a compressor to get it sound like i'm running through a quality low pass filter with the Q set to a really steep cut off.

So, some day when i've got the cash, I will get a serious studio quality low pass filter and compressor to make this work. But for now, the Rolls plus these two cheap EQs gets the job done relatively well. The audiences don't complain....

Hmm, one thing to note though is that if i don't pull down on all the higher frequencies of my post-crossover EQ, i get tons of noise up top. I don't know if that noise is coming from the Rolls or if it's because of my application. And running one guitar out to three different amps often results in ground noise (even though i have the Ebtech Hum-X on one amp--it seriously reduces noise), so again, I don't know if the Rolls is putting out this noise or if it's my application.

So, for $70, it's good to experiment with and gets the job done. But if I needed a pro quality crossover for a studio setup, I would look elsewhere.

• Members

the oc3 works pretty swell when you dial it in right, and though it may not track as well I find it to sound warmer and punchier than the micro pog. Best to suppliment it with something too and split the signal to a bass amp. mine sounds great

Archived