Digitech jamman stereo for triggering live samples?

symeboy

• Members

True which is why you can only really get away with it for a measure or two if you're lucky. You might be able to setup the stereo version to pan the click track (it has one) out only on one output so that the drummer could capture it in their monitors or headset? Ask Subs, he has one.

Yeah you could do that no problem, but then your samples or whatever would be in mono I suppose...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trust me, you'll never see a need for stereo live. Even if you did amass a stereo rig you'd {censored} can it after a short run.

Fair play, sounds like a good back up plan. I was talking to a guitarist from quite a big 80's metal band recently and he seemed to think that the quality and impact of alot of their orchestral synth stuff is comprimised when played in mono.... and although I am in no real position to judge, I can totally imagine that stereo echoes and the depth could be lost a bit in mono?

But then again he was trying to persuade me to buy a very expensive yamaha keyboard to do what we described which sounds way more complicated that a simple little footswitch, so he might be a bit of a nutter! :-)

I might ask the soundman at our next gig if such things are usually outputted as mono usuallly anyway, as I have a sneaking suscpition that that could be the case in alot of venues....

• Members

Off the bat a lot of house PA systems are mono so get used to bringing your own rig. Setting up your rig for stereo invites havoc onstage aka timing with the band. A lot of the time the monitoring is already bad and there's a catch up, slow down thing going on already then you introduce that into the mix to throw everyone off even more? Aside from all that you have to bring extra gear with you to make it happen in the first place. About the only thing imo that really works well is a keyboardist running Leslie effects. You get a sense like it's filling the room. But effects like delay where it ducks between a stereo pan, stereo tremolos, and hard phasing/chorus effects where they also duck, all those will fuck your band over hard one day when you do that gig where the monitors suck or the sound guy doesn't know what he's doing or you're outdoors and the wind is blowing and you're having a hard time hearing the band and they you. Like I say the best way to learn is to find out for yourself. :lol:

• Members

Wouldn't that mean that the metronome is heard through the PA?

No it has stereo outs, so you would have the sample on the left for example and a click on the right. The click would go through the desk to the monitors only as a separate signal, the sample would be played through the PA. the benefit of that would be that you can choose whatever noise you want as your click track. The con would be that the click might not be suitable/audible.

OR

Use the in built metronome which has its own out to the drummer only, then the sample in stereo out front. The benefit is that the sample is in stereo (but as the guy above explains, this isnt really an advantage and could even be a disadvantage if you have mad stereo effects going on), the disadvantage is that you are relying on the click track presets to be good enough for the drummer to use as a cue, and I dont know if they are yet because I havent heard them.

• Members

Off the bat a lot of house PA systems are mono so get used to bringing your own rig. Setting up your rig for stereo invites havoc onstage aka timing with the band. A lot of the time the monitoring is already bad and there's a catch up, slow down thing going on already then you introduce that into the mix to throw everyone off even more? Aside from all that you have to bring extra gear with you to make it happen in the first place. About the only thing imo that really works well is a keyboardist running Leslie effects. You get a sense like it's filling the room. But effects like delay where it ducks between a stereo pan, stereo tremolos, and hard phasing/chorus effects where they also duck, all those will fuck your band over hard one day when you do that gig where the monitors suck or the sound guy doesn't know what he's doing or you're outdoors and the wind is blowing and you're having a hard time hearing the band and they you. Like I say the best way to learn is to find out for yourself.
:lol:

I cant see us ever using our own rig round here, all the decent venues have great in house PAs. As far as the timing is concerned, in theory, as long as the click track is good enough for the drummer to hear and he plays tight with it, then I would imagine that no matter how crazy (in terms of stereo effects) the sample is, it wouldnt throw you off as long as you play in time with the drummer?.... FWIW I would imagine that I wouldnt want any of the sample in my monitor anyway?

But yeah, I guess you would have to practice alot with it to make sure it works and experiment with the settings and stuff. But in theory it seems like a great solution to what is probably a popular problem.

thanks again

• Members

I've been very tempted to replace my headrush E2 with this. The main thing I use loopers for is mainly to build up some ambient/noisy intros to a couple songs. The only time I would need it for a time/measure-based loop is for one song. I'm being a bit intimidated about going the stereo route, but ideally what I would like is to have an ABY box after all my pedals and before the JM, with the JM going direct into the house PA, so I could switch the ABY to route my effects to the looper, record my loops, and have them playing through out through the PA without also playing out through my amp. I feel like unless the cab is mic'ed, which it isn't at most smaller venues around the area, the effect and impact of the ambient loops gets lost when it's just coming out of my amp.

• Members

I can't find any info on the "Clicktrack Out" feature, nor do I see any such output jack on the JamMan when I Google it. What am I missing? No mention in the online manual either. Link anyone?

JamMan Stereo

http://www.digitech.com/system/documents/245/original/JamMan%20Stereo%20Manual%2018-0707V-B.pdf

Page 49 - Rhythm Output

The Rhythm Output isolates the rhythm guide track from the left and right outputs and provides a mono mix of the JamMan

• Members

JamMan Stereo

Thanks juri, I was looking at the wrong manual. I still think it would be interesting to hear from someone who actually tried the Rhythm Output on the JM Stereo with a drummer. It all comes down to "is it loud enough to hear?".

• Members

Thanks juri, I was looking at the wrong manual. I still think it would be interesting to hear from someone who actually tried the Rhythm Output on the JM Stereo with a drummer. It all comes down to "is it loud enough to hear?".

Or more specifically, is your drummer good enough to follow the looped audio and click. A good pair of isolation headphones will make it easy to hear. Thats what my drummer uses at times.

• Members

Or more specifically, is your drummer good enough to follow the looped audio and click. A good pair of isolation headphones will make it easy to hear. Thats what my drummer uses at times.

If a drummer can't play to a click, he needs to get off that throne and take up something else.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey guys,

I recently bought a jamman stereo in hopes of doing exactly what OP was asking about. The thing is, even after I supposedly got the 3 wave file samples onto the first 3 channels (after some issues with the software), the bastards won't play. I'm going mono left out straight into an input of my band's practice PA. I'll press the bottom left play button with all of the level knobs at about half, and it seems to either attempt to record a loop, or play no sound at all. Doesn't play the samples with headphones into the jamman, either.

Think someone could help me out? I have gig in 2 weeks!

• Members

Forgot all about this thread :)

Anyway, I bought a JamMan Stereo a couple of months ago and tried it at rehearsal with the band. I was particularly curious about the Rhythm Out-feature I asked about earlier in the thread. Is it loud enough for the drummer to hear? The answer is; you bet! We used a standard guitar chord into a cheap active wedge style monitor and the drummer had no problem at all hearing the metronome while the loops were playing through the PA. Just thought I'd share. The JamMan Stereo is a great piece of equipment. The only bummer is the piece-of-shit-software. 

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I would also like to use the Jamman Stereo to trigger samples. I would however use the Single Phrase mode for the samples so they are not looped. Could somebody please confirm that the following is possible?

Start playing the sample in memory 1 at the start of the verse by pressing the Play footswitch.

Start playing the sample in memory 2 at the start of the bridge by first pressing the Loop Up footswitch and then the Play footswitch.

Interrupt the playing of current sample and immediately start playing sample in memory 3 by pressing the Loop Up footswitch and then the Play footswitch. (Remember all samples are set to Single Phrase mode)

I went to the guitar shop, but it was not in stock. The guy was not sure whether the last point would be possible or not so I would like confirmation from someone who owns the unit.

Another thing I am worried about is lag when loading the next sample. Is it sufficiently fast to use in a live setting?

Archived