puretube - can you mod a flanger hoax?

stereotypy

• Members

I own a Flanger Hoax. I know of no volume drop, but I will admit that it can be a tiny bit hissy. For me, the hissiness is negligible; however, if I were to seriously record with it, I may run in to some problems. After all, although it is True Bypass, with Feedback all the way up, and pedal bypassed, there is, just a little bit, of swoosh left. Not good for absolute silence during recording, but adequate for normal applications.

Either way, don't expect me to sell my Hoax ever, as it does things (beyong normal flanging and phasing) that other pedals will never be able to do. For me, personally, the Flanger Hoax is hardly a flanger. It phases better than it flanges, and yet it puts the FoxRox TZF to shame.

For the super-nth time, an ADA flanger with TZF would be the ideal flanger!

But wait! We're talking about modding the Flanger Hoax! I'm kind of afraid of cracking the damn thing open. Even if someone did, I doubt it would get closer to an ADA flange, or an MXR Phase 90 or 100.

The Flanger Hoax is a beast! Love it for its beastiness (as I have) or get something else!

• Members

when i owned the hoax the problem was i got lost in the mix when i engaged it. really .. maybe not as extreme as with some big muffs.. but still i got setback too much for my taste. the ibanez dcf-10 i use at the moment for example doesn't do that.

the hiss was just a little add on. with no volume loss.. maybe i would have kept it. who knows. and no.. i don't want to mod a hoax to sound differently.. just some improvements would be cool!

btw/ how about putting tubes in it?! :freak::D

• 6 years later...
  • Members

There are many internal pots. I have been advised here not to touch them, but IF someone in the know knows which are NO YOU'LL REGRET IT pots and WELL IT MIGHT BEHAVE STRANGELY BUT YOU WON'T KILL IT pots that would be awesome if you'd share. Pretty please?

• Members

Hey Didn't Bjorn or somebody Mod an XO version DMM Put a graphic on it and sell it ?   they should do that to the hoax,  ???   i cant remember the name of that modded DMM bjorn or somebody did     bueller?   

• 6 years later...
  • Members

i hope i am not the first one, since i'm fairly new at modding electronics but if you open it you see 4 empty spaces marked L (and a number, aint going to open it up again now hehe :p) for waht i know L stands for inductor coil and i managed to find 4 identical ones on some scrap pcb;s i have here lying around specifically for the components ^^ i couldn't find the exact mH stated on the flanger board and i guess it's a few mH's less (could be a few more) but it totally worked, the flanger hoax sounds way more fuller and warmer not to mention the bass which reaches that sweet spot in new deeper layers while still somehow staying subtle, i would recommend this to every owner , fill those 4 blanks with some kind of coil, it sort of amazes me i couldn;t find anyone on the internet who have tried this when even our friends at EHX rather stated this clearly on the board :p something is missing ( 4 phasers was it, right ?) guess it keeps mass production a little cheaper since the sound is already amazing without :)
it;s kinda like the Behringer Ultrafex which has the transformators (OT-1) missing, fill in those gaps en delve in that newly secret realm of supersweet sound quality, the difference is unreal and i really have to keep to mself not to get to obsessed by this and fully analyze every electronic in my vicinity --- this reminds me of Super mario 3 where you discover the flute in some hidden treasure room awarding you with raccoon and frog suits making the game truly epic ..
hehe oh {censored}, i got a bit carried away, again i fully recommend !!!!!! much sweetness to unlock with just that :) :) :) :) :)   

edit: oh, the inductors i used were drum coil inductors, was also curious if these could be replaced by vacuum tubes or light-sensitive resistors since there are leds connected inside and i guess if they flash in the casing with all the reflective walls around (it's like a mirror palace right ?) wouldn't it be some sort of auto-CV input for the 4 blank phaser ???? inputs ??? )

cheerz, brian !!

Archived