Classic songs that use a Big Muff Pi

• Members

Can anyone verify how accurate this list is?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/7677

311 - Bassist P-Nut uses the Big Muff in Sick Tight and Solar Flare.

Ben Folds Five - Bassist Robert Sledge uses the Big Muff in nearly every song.

The Carpenters - "Goodbye to Love" - The guitar solo in this song is played by Tony Peluso using a Big Muff

The Black Keys- "10 A.M. Automatic," "Till I Get My Way"

Bush- "Glycerine"

The Cows - "Two Little Pigs" (used on a bass guitar)

Depeche Mode - "Big Muff"

Dinosaur Jr - "Mountain Man"

Flipper - "Sacrifice" ("Sex Bomb Baby" version). The pedal is used on a bass guitar and routed through the auxiliary input instead of the regular input. This method will create a much rawer tone.

Grand Funk Railroad-Mark Farner uses the Big Muff on multiple songs,most notably in songs like "Paranoid."

KoRn "Blind" - Guitarist Head used the Big Muff to get the grinding tone. He may have used it on other songs such as "Need To".

Metallica - "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "The Call Of Ktulu" and "Orion" all feature a bass run through a Big Muff pedal.

Misfits - used on the entire "Static Age" album

Mudhoney - "Touch Me I'm Sick", "Who You Drivin' Now", "Fuzzgun '91", "Check Out Time", "A Thousand Forms of Mind", "This Gift", "Here Comes Sickness", "Suck You Dry", "Beneath the Valley of The Underdog", as well as many other Mudhoney songs. It is often used by guitarist Steve Turner.

Muse - Bassist Chris Wolstenholme uses a Russian Big Muff Pi in most songs often in conjunction with an Akai Deep Impact SB1 pedal. Most notably heard in the song "Hysteria".

Nirvana - "Lithium" (difficult to hear, but was used according to Butch Vig who produced the album), "Breed" (very easy to hear, right when the guitar starts, also near the end) and "Stay Away" (heard during the last 15 seconds of the song)

Pink Floyd - Guitar solo on "Comfortably Numb" and riff to "In The Flesh". David Gilmour uses a Sovtek Big Muff live and as part of his signature tone. David Gilmour also uses it in the intro to the song "Sorrow" on the Momentary Lapse of Reason album. The Big Muff has been David's main distortion unit from 1977-present.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Used on several songs from Stadium Arcadium for the guitar solos, notably "Strip My Mind" and "Wet Sand" by guitarist John Frusciante, also used on several other albums such as Californication and most of his guitar solos on live recordings.

Santana - "Hope You're Feeling Better"

Slint - "Nosferatu Man"

Sonic Youth - "Mieux: De Corrosion" (Russian Sovtek version, kicks in halfway through the song).

The Smashing Pumpkins - pretty much all distortion on Siamese Dream comes from the Big Muff. Many songs on Pisces Iscariot, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

U2 - "Bullet the Blue Sky", Love is Blindness

Whirlwind Heat - Bassist Steve Damstra uses the Little Big Muff in nearly every song.

The White Stripes - "Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground", "Aluminum", "Black Math", "Ball and Biscuit", "Little Acorns", "Hypnotize", "Red Rain", and countless others. Guitarist Jack White uses the NYC version of the Big Muff as part of his signature distorted sound.

Young and restless - Young and Restless guitarist Ash Pegram uses an Electro Harmonix Double Muff on the songs "Satan", "Police! Police!" and "Black" and prefers the Russian Sovtek version.

Wolfmother- "Dimension" (used during post-chorus), "Woman"

Vigilante- "Area 51" and "Living Lies"

• Members
Some of that might be wrong.

In the video for "10AM Automatic," you can see a Maestro Fuzz, and that was before Dan started using his (green Russian) Muff a lot.

Well, to be fair, he could have played a banjo plugged into a box of crayons in the video, for fun...

• Members

Well, to be fair, he could have played a banjo plugged into a box of crayons in the video, for fun...

I realize that, but I figure it's a safe assumption to make that he used the Maestro on that song. Especially when I have an old Guitar Player magazine that has an interview with Dan where he says that his main fuzz on that album was the Maestro.

• Members

The Pumpkins thing is pretty accurate. You can really hear the Muff clearly on Pisces Iscariot and Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream uses lots of muff takes stacked on top of one another, though, so that changes the sound quite a bit.

• Members

I realize that, but I figure it's a safe assumption to make that he used the Maestro on that song. Especially when I have an old Guitar Player magazine that has an interview with Dan where he says that his main fuzz on that album was the Maestro.

I figured that... I was just bustin' your chops...:p

• Members

"Young and restless - Young and Restless guitarist Ash Pegram uses an Electro Harmonix Double Muff on the songs "Satan", "Police! Police!" and "Black" and prefers the Russian Sovtek version."

this makes me doubt everything. Sovtek double muff?? :freak:

• 5 years later...
  • Members

V wrote:

The Pumpkins thing is pretty accurate. You can really hear the Muff clearly on Pisces Iscariot and Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream uses lots of muff takes stacked on top of one another, though, so that changes the sound quite a bit.

On Siamese Dream, much of the distorted guitar is a proprietary circuit they designed for the album

Archived