Nels Cline is almost as overrated as Billy Corgan

butterknucket

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yeah, that's obviously pretty darn impressive... but calling people names just because they disagree is not very nice. :):cop:

To each their own, but I thought that was a solid performance all the way around. They played and performed it well individually and together. Both are important, the second one moreso IMHO. This felt like a well-rehearsed group of great musicians firing on all cylinders. Nothing "new" in terms of composition or technique, but everyone plays for the song, which IMHO is Job #1.

Actually, Job #1 is to convey something to the listener - to get them to "feel it" too...:)

• Members

Pat Methany is so {censored}ing boring on his best day. His tone is awful. New Age shredder garbage with a twist of "jazz".

I'm not sure I'd go that far... Bright Size Life is one of the more influential jazz records of the 70's imo. Some of that has to do with Jaco being on the record but I think the guitar lines also brought something new to the table. I definitely wouldn't call it "jazz" because Metheny is about as legit as it gets when it comes to jazz pedagogy. I know he's a little vanilla for most people's taste but he definitely knows what he's doing.

• Members

I'm not sure I'd go that far... Bright Size Life is one of the more influential jazz records of the 70's imo. Some of that has to do with Jaco being on the record but I think the guitar lines also brought something new to the table. I definitely wouldn't call it "jazz" because Metheny is about as legit as it gets when it comes to jazz pedagogy. I know he's a little vanilla for most people's taste but he definitely knows what he's doing.

This.

Although it amuses me the amount that some jazz critics and 'fans' like to pretend that mellow jazz is 'bad' jazz.

But then again, much of Metheny's best work isn't really mellow at all: As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls, First Circle (if not the rest of the album), Imaginary Day and The Way Up spring to mind.

• Members

Thanks for posting this, Supreme. I've seen Banyan 3 times, and its been a different lineup every time (Watt being the only constant), but always a great group of musicians that put on a kick ass show!

So apparently I need Mike Watt and a JM to play maggot brain, hmm.
:idk:

Um no. The Fog version is just infintely better and dripping with soul.

Archived