Nels Cline is almost as overrated as Billy Corgan

butterknucket

• Members

I love Nels, but I'm starting to feel over saturation -the guy is prolific.

My favorite Nels is still from Mike Watts "Contemplating the Engine Room." He just kills it in so many different ways there.

Breaking the chokehold, Topsiders!

They opened for mud honey on that album's supporting tour at the metro in Chicago, afterwards I got to hangout with mark, Steve, watt, and nels at the hot dog stand across the street for a little while :thu:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cline is overrated, but it just so happens that people around here put him on a pedestal. Corgan much the same. What HCFX thinks about music shouldn't be taken as an accurate reflection of what the wider world thinks about music. And shouldn't be a gauge for what it, or you, should think about music either. :lol:

Technique-wise, I haven't seen him do a single thing that impressed me. Nothing to write home about at all. As a composer he hasn't written anything incredibly revolutionary or otherwise created a musical signature that is completely his own (like for example Pat Metheny has). As a jazz musician (which a lot of people consider him to be) he doesn't really compare all that favourably to the jazz guitar greats.

But then again, he is enormously creative in a lot of respects, has multiple - very different - gigs, and plays very interesting music. Other players respect him, too - Aforementioned Pat Metheny is a fan.

However, Nels Cline hasn't directly caused any major butthurt around here, which has to count for something. :lol:

• Members

personal preferences aside the fact is billy corgan made a timeless album that for many was one of the best of the time period. hardly anyone has or will ever hear of nels cline.

a record that launched a thousand fuzz pedals...

• Members
Cline
is
overrated, but it just so happens that people around here put him on a pedestal. Corgan much the same. What HCFX thinks about music shouldn't be taken as an accurate reflection of what the wider world thinks about music. And shouldn't be a gauge for what it, or you,
should
think about music either.
:lol:

Technique-wise, I haven't seen him do a single thing that impressed me. Nothing to write home about at all. As a composer he hasn't written anything incredibly revolutionary or otherwise created a musical signature that is completely his own (like for example Pat Metheny has). As a jazz musician (which a lot of people consider him to be) he doesn't really compare all that favourably to the jazz guitar greats.

But then again, he is enormously creative in a lot of respects, has multiple - very different - gigs, and plays very interesting music. Other players respect him, too - Aforementioned Pat Metheny is a fan.

However, Nels Cline hasn't directly caused any major butthurt around here, which has to count for something.
:lol:

Can I get a pound everytime you mention Pat Metheny in a post?

• Members

Can I get a pound everytime you mention Pat Metheny in a post?

If you calculate the number of times I have overall, and the length of time it's been since I last did. But it wouldn't be very lucrative, though; even I have enough pounds for that. :lol:

• Members
Breaking the chokehold, Topsiders!

They opened for mud honey on that album's supporting tour at the metro in Chicago, afterwards I got to hangout with mark, Steve, watt, and nels at the hot dog stand across the street for a little while
:thu:

Oh, {censored} YOU! :thu:

And "The Blue Jackets Manual" for the mfw!!

Archived