Nels Cline is almost as overrated as Billy Corgan

butterknucket

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He runs the gamut from Steely Dan-esque Wilco pap to melodic and tasteful jazz to sonic experimentation. He has made at least 20 records of his own and countless other sideman rolls. Judging him by his recent success in Wilco is foolish... That is a tiny shade of the full color he is capable of.

He is easily one of my favorite guitarists ever.

• Members

He's probably my favorite guitarist at the moment, and, really, it's not because of anything he's done with Wilco. His work with The Singers is really where he shines, IMO. If you think he's just a ridiculous noodler who fiddles with pedals, then you're really not getting most of the picture. Take this for example:

[video=youtube;BOb3Crrlfh0]

Personally, as the above demonstrates, I like him more when he's not overloading his signal with effects boxes (particularly modulation). He has an extremely sophisticated sense of harmony, and when he lays off all that stuff I think it shines through. There he's just using a volume pedal, but if you tossed him his 16 Second Digital Delay (which he makes some amazing loops and atmospheres with) and his Fuzz Factory (for the occasional, abrasive freak out session) then I think it would be ideal.

• Members

This thread is stuuuuuuupid.

Nels isn't even close to the level of douche that corgan is. And Nels can play. Ive been a fan way before Wilco. He's just a really interesting and talented player. I don't even see the hype you're alluding to.

Stop making {censored} threads and play more.

• Members

All I've seen of Nels Cline is just totally tuneless fret wankery. It's all so unmusical to my ears, I don't get the hype at all.

I share this opinion. But all I've really paid any attention to is the Wilco stuff... which isn't my thing at all.

Archived