SRS: Post me your songs (yes yours) or if you don't have any someone else's:

Ryan.

• Members

almost every song in the eurovision song contest does this by a step (ie A to B, or D to E) at the end of the song.

I'm ashamed to remember that slipknot does this on "duality"

({censored}ing embarrassed to know that). They stay with it for longer on the non-youtube version.

Lots of songs do it, however not a lot of songs do it well.

I believe the Star Wars imperial theme "Imperial March" does this as well somewhere near the end.

• Members

Thanks Poly
:wave:

Sure thing dude! What I tend to do is write songs in my "comfortable key" and then randomly pick another key and teach myself to play the song in that one instead of the original key. That helps with diversifying your writings if you don't wanna use key changes in songs since it can be jarring sometimes.

• Members

Our song Mercy does this near the end. I like how it worked out.

http://yellowjournalism.bandcamp.com/track/mercy

Texas I really liked/hated that. I can't really describe how I feel about your song here. There are times when it comes together and I'm like YEAH RAD {censored} DUDE, and then sometimes I'm like whoa... uneasy... things got a little amelodic... I guess I dig it. Nicely done. :thu:

• Members

Texas I really liked/hated that. I can't really describe how I feel about your song here. There are times when it comes together and I'm like YEAH RAD {censored} DUDE, and then sometimes I'm like whoa... uneasy... things got a little amelodic... I guess I dig it. Nicely done.
:thu:

Thanks man, I appreciate the critique. Made me laugh, though! I've probably heard the song enough that I can't really tell where & what irritates you since I'm so used to it now... I never really thought about it as sounding amelodic, per se. I did have a hard time getting the other members in the group to think about the song rather than their own performances, so that might shine through. Dunno. Could be the lyrics making you uneasy too. The singer was in the throes of divorce at the time.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's not hard for a singer to nail as long as the singer knows it's coming.

One of the world's favorites is Janis going into the second verse of "Me and Bobby McGee."

My favorite is the Dead's "Sugar Magnolia," where Bob bumps it up a step in the MIDDLE of a verse: "Sometimes when the cuckoo's calling, when the moon is half-way down" - ba-BUMP - "Sometimes when the night is calling . . . . "

And the most challenging I can think of is Johnny Cash's "I'd Walk the Line." How many times does he change key? I always lose count!

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever put a key change into a song. Might as well, huh?

Archived