SRS: Post me your songs (yes yours) or if you don't have any someone else's:

Ryan.

• Members

That make GOOD use of at least one key change.

I, being not very good at music, have never successfully put a key change into one of my songs. Have you done it? Do Whores do key changes? What about Lermpy Grervy? Saturn Unleashed?

C'mon... show me dem key changes. Or show me how the pros do it...

• Members

if you're jsut taking it up a step to build the song you can jump right to the next key, or to make it more interesting go to the 3rd in the original key then the 5th in the new key to transition. ie. playing in the key of D modulating to E, you would transition by going to F#m, then B, then the one chord, E. there are many ways to do it.

• Members

That is some cool stuff PK. Future classical.

thanks! and yeah, there are subtle ways to go about it with pivot chords like ihonk said. find a smooth way to get to the five of whatever key you want to change it to (and then resolve it, obviously)

• Members

if you do it the same way more than once it will sound right to your ears. some of the most interesting parts of music dont' sound "correct" at first listen. those end up being the part of the song people are waiting for, as long the whole song isn't a complete mess.

• Members

There's always the popular V/V progression that vocalists always use. Basically it's a whole step up from whatever key you were previously playing in. In other words, A major turns into B major. Lots of pop songs do it but here are two not pop songs that immediately popped into my head.

[video=youtube;InwVaMYLBpU]

1:50

[video=youtube;xqNPGXYfZl8]

1:25

Also, I recommend big changes in rhythmic motif rather than key changes to get a sort of different sound. Check out this song and try and count all the different rhythmic motifs it uses. Also there's a key change somewhere in there to my ears but maybe it's just a different mode, I honestly can't tell because it's so seamless.

[video=youtube;ozGdtWFq0AI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGdtWFq0AI

0-:20, then changes

:20-:30, then changes

:30-:40, then changes

:40-1, then changes

1-1:20, then changes

1:20-1:30, then changes

1:30-1:40, then changes,

1:40-1:50, then changes,

1:50-2:00, then changes,

2-2:10, then changes

2:10-2:20, then changes

2:20-2:35, then changes

2:35-3:02, then changes

3:02-3:12, then changes

3:12-3:25, then changes

3:25-3:3:35, then changes,

3:35-end.

17 fairly different rhythmic motifs, each changing every 16-32 bars or so. Having an ADD drummer has it's upsides.

Edit: Final thought, I have no idea wtf is happening with the keys in this song:

[video=youtube;Ses6cy3EEuo]

Archived