Current Pedalboard - Post Yours (#2)

TheCardiacKid

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IRG

View Post

One secret with a fuzz face, and you might already know this, and if so disregard, but turn the fuzz up all the way. It should be loud and thundering, the way God intended it to be. But roll back your guitar's volume control, if you're using single coils, it doesn't take much, and you'll quickly find it can be dialed in for a little fuzz, almost like an overdrive, to basically a clean tone altogether. And then when it's right, turn up that volume control all the way, and get ready for blitzkrieg. A muff can't do that, but they're cool too for different reasons.

I usually don't mess with my guitar volume, but this sounds interesting so I'll give it a shot.

The thing I found with muffs is that it seems like no matter what I played it came out sounding the same. I don't know, maybe it's just the way I play.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherArcher

View Post

I usually don't mess with my guitar volume, but this sounds interesting so I'll give it a shot.

The thing I found with muffs is that it seems like no matter what I played it came out sounding the same. I don't know, maybe it's just the way I play.

No... It's not you or your playing.

That's just one of the many reasons why I hate muffs. The ONLY muff I've played that actually had more than one sound in it was a Pharaoh... And even then, it still sounded like mud to me. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay

View Post

That's just one of the many reasons why I hate muffs. The ONLY muff I've played that actually had more than one sound in it was a Pharaoh... And even then, it still sounded like mud to me. idn_smilie.gif

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like muffs get all the love.

• Members

View Post

I have heard good things about the Pharaoh though. Might have to try one out someday.

• Members

View Post

I have heard good things about the Pharaoh though. Might have to try one out someday.

Yeah.. I just stick to fuzz face variants... Maybe a tonebender... Think my Lunar Module is a hybrid ff/tonebender of sorts... Definitely not a muff. But it's literally the only fuzz pedal that's stuck with me, and I'm kinda like you in that I've never really got along with fuzz too well.

I am considering checking out a Paul Trombetta mini bone... Sounds pretty sweet.

• Members

View Post

The Pharaoh is great, love mine. I think why it's good, because it's somewhat of a lower gain pedal overall. It really doesn't approach full blown muff territory until you crank the gain most of the way. Otherwise, there's a wide variety of tones with it. And what it does best, is stack with overdrives and other fuzzes. So you can set the Pharoah's gain fairly low, which on its own sounds not much like a muff at all, but then goose it with an overdrive, or even a fuzz face, and the two sound awesome together.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Naregnemyes

View Post

Any good reason why no one uses these simple male/male couplers to connect similar pedals?

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemI...Large/p285.jpg

Just to get rid of some wire clutter on a board, as between various MXRs and such.

you could, but the problem with those is there is potential to break the jacks on our pedals. when you stomp on one pedal, the pedal next to it will have to move with the one youre stepping on, but its being moved by the jack. if the pedal has board mounted jacks, it could be bad news bears.

• Members

View Post

Any good reason why no one uses these simple male/male couplers to connect similar pedals?

Just to get rid of some wire clutter on a board, as between various MXRs and such.

I have several and was using them but be aware that they will only work with identical housings. If the height of the jack is even a slightly off that can kill the signal and/or create stress on the connection and eventually kill the coupler. I would have recommended them 6 months ago but now I'm not sure.

• Members

View Post

They can create a strain on your sockets which can lead to failure from mechanical stress over time. Better to get the ones that have the jacks off-centre to each other.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones

View Post

They can create a strain on your sockets which can lead to failure from mechanical stress over time. Better to get the ones that have the jacks off-centre to each other.

You mean like this: http://store.stellartone.com/catalog..._crank_250.jpg

Okay, that's fine. Why doesn't anyone seem to be using this one either?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones

View Post

I'd add that it is better to use a short ass cable. Pedaltones once again speaks the truth though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL

View Post

I have several and was using them but be aware that they will only work with identical housings. If the height of the jack is even a slightly off that can kill the signal and/or create stress on the connection and eventually kill the coupler. I would have recommended them 6 months ago but now I'm not sure.

The jack sockets might not be 100% at right angles to the enclosure either. I just use flat 'pancake' style jack cables. Saves exactly the same amount of space.

• Members

View Post

Yeah.. I just stick to fuzz face variants... Maybe a tonebender... Think my Lunar Module is a hybrid ff/tonebender of sorts... Definitely not a muff. But it's literally the only fuzz pedal that's stuck with me, and I'm kinda like you in that I've never really got along with fuzz too well.

I am considering checking out a Paul Trombetta mini bone... Sounds pretty sweet.

You should, PT makes quality stuff. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tattoedsailor

View Post

I like this a lot! I just switched back to a DD20 after trying out a {censored} ton of different delays. There extremely easy use and sound great.

Thanks! Ya it was originally my second delay pedal, and I remember loving Modulate and Tape. Ya I tried a bunch too including the Timeline and I only used 3 out of the 200 presets so I couldn't justify keeping it. So back to a tried and true workhorse thumb.gif

Archived