Jamman Solo vs. Ditto

Shadoof

• Members

It appears that I will have the opportunity to buy either a Ditto or a Jamman Solo (I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's the original Jamman and not the XT) for basically the same amount of money.

I'll mostly be using this as a practice tool, recording chord progressions and whatnot to play over. I currently use a Hardwire Delay but want a dedicated looper either to free up the Hardwire so I can actually use it as a delay or add it to my bass board. I've never put much thought into using a looper as a tool in a band setting, but I know many people do so effectively.

I'm leaning towards the JamMan because of the extra flexibility, but I'm honestly not sure how much of that I'll end up using (multiple saved loops, exporting loops or importing rhythm tracks via SD and such). Many a time I have been drawn into the "infinite possibilities" of a piece of gear only to end up leaving it on a single, simple setting.

So realizing that I'm probably only going to be applying a simple record and repeat function, the simplicity of the Ditto is appealing, as is its small footprint. My biggest concern about the Ditto is operating it - especially the double click to end the loop. I'm really used to the hold-to-record and release-to-end. Granted, I haven't tried a double-click style pedal. Most of the reviews seem to suggest it's a bit tricky at first but doesn't take long to learn. I've also heard rumors that TC Electronics Pedals Are NOT REPAIRABLE. Instead of fixing my switch they wanted to charge me $72 plus shipping on a $99 pedal to replace all electronics, when only the switch was defective. This is their blanket repair policy on ALL repairs. They have no replacement switches. The switch is on the board so substituting a different switch can't work. Do not buy pedals from companies that cannot repair their own switches.

Either would doubtless serve my purposes as a simple record and playback machine but the JamMan has a lot of extra capabilities that I may or may not ever use (probably not). Ditto is way smaller and Spartan in its design but might be harder to use for that very reason. What say you, interwebs? Any important differentiators I've not considered?

• Members

Do you need stereo?

Do you need to be able to store more then one loop at a time?

JamMan is a better fit.

The JamMan has tempo, drum/click tracks, tempo settings and quantize functionality that overcomplicate the idea behind the looper.

If you want to keep it real simple and basic the ditto is the way to go unless you get the new digitech express xt.

• Members

I have both. One for quick on the fly loops(ditto)... And one for storing backing tracks or using an external stomp to change bank up/down for song progressions.(jamman solo)

if had to pick one of the 2 in the OP... i d suggest jamman solo.unless u are picky about having everything true bypass. im keen to try out the new jamman thou

• Members

I have a Jamman stereo and a ditto. I agree that the double stomp to stop is weird.  I don't use the ditto for anything that has to stop elegantly, like at the end of a song.  I really like the Jamman, though.  I saw the new XT and I will probably get one because I would like to leverage the stereo in/outs.  I think the Ditto is a cool piece of equipment and I like the TC stuff.  I like the real high bean switches rather than the Boss-ish soft switches.  I don't see a huge advantage of the old jamman solo over the ditto because I wouldn't be saving backing tracks to it.  It's also larger.  The best thing about the ditto was I was able to find a few square inches of pedal board to stick it on.  The jamman would have required moving everyhting around. 

• Members

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm leaning towards the jamman for the rhythm tracks and the multi loop storage/playback (though I need the separate controller pedal to take advantage of that). Size is definitely the advantage of the ditto but I'm not really hurting for space on my board so that's moot. Don't need stereo either way. The express xt does look good but I'm looking at either of these for even cheaper than it will be.

• Members

Ive used both... I love how simple the Ditto is to use... The jamman is a bit more difficult, not much though, and if you really need all those extra features, especially the ability to store loops, then thats the way to go as others have suggested.. From what I recall, I thought the jamman's playback sounded better then the ditto..A guy I work with agreed that the ditto's playback does sound a touch more lofi then the original signal..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Got the Jamman. As expected, I'm not using it to it's fullest potential but the built in metronome has been useful. I'm finding overdubs a little awkward and it's annoying that I can't erase a loop without starting playback for two seconds, but it's not a big deal. I'll have to pick up the footswitch at some point to start making use of multiple loops on the fly.

Archived