Anyone have a Lotus guitar?

• Members

A friend of mine has one and loves it to death. He's changed out the pickups though. He plays this for thousands of folks every year and makes good money. I've asked him why he doesn't get something nicer and he said that he really loves the guitar so there is no need. We both agreed that the body is a ply. He gets awesome tone FWIW.

• Members

I bought one from a pawn shop for $40 when I was 18. It was a silverburst Les Paul Custom copy. The binding was 5 ply and the finish was checking and turning green so I'm not sure how old it was. It played perfectly with a straight neck and low action. The frets were really nice. It weighed about as much as a real Les Paul. The pickups really sucked though. They sounded ok but if you had any gain at all on your amp they would constantly feedback. i didn't know anything about changing pickups (never even knew it was a possibility) so I ended up getting rid of it. I would love to have it back now though.

• Members

I have a strat my then girlfriend, now wife bought me for $90 new in 1996

It is an orange ish red, possible factory mess-up color.

I modes it a lot over the years... Neck needed some steel wool treatment as it was a bit too thick feeling.

Still has the stock neck pickup- surfy!

• Members

Lotus seems to be another brand that was around long enough that they were made in several different factories to quite differing levels of quality. Seems to be pretty much a case of needing to try before you buy, since you can't be sure what you're going to get.

• Members

are the pickups, alnico, or ceramic? Anyone know?

I'm not sure but at stage volumes they feedback like a bitch. At least the one I had did. Bedroom jamming though they were fine unless you were sitting really close to the amp. Find one that plays well and if the pickups suck change them out. If I hadn't been so clueless about aftermarket parts I would have kept mine way back then.

• Members

My first guitar was a Lotus strat copy that looks exactly like this one:
3n83me3pc5Q25W15X6b61a4cf3828d28a1670.jp

I had a good time playing it. Eventually the neck socket became totally stripped, so the neck won't stay on anymore.
:(

similar to mine... I could only find this REALLY old pic...

21o52dg.jpg

new tort pickguard, volume/ 3 way pickup selector/ volume controls, bridge pickup is a loose wound feedbacking pickup... only use it to howl... the neck pickup is 99.9% of use with this guitar.

• Members

similar to mine... I could only find this REALLY old pic...

21o52dg.jpg

new tort pickguard, volume/ 3 way pickup selector/ volume controls, bridge pickup is a loose wound feedbacking pickup... only use it to howl... the neck pickup is 99.9% of use with this guitar.

I am a neck position guy for sure. I dig the look of that! I am not normally a Strat kinda guy, but I am so broke these days, that I have to find something decent for under a hundred bucks to mess around with at home/recording...my band broke up last month.

• Members

My first electric was a Lotus Les Paul that had a single humbucker in the bridge position. I didn't really get along with it soundwise and traded it after a few months. I'm a neck pickup guy though. Anyway, since then I've played a few others in various pawn shops that were definitely on par with Epiphone stuff.