The Offical DIY Thread

Aaron SS

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by openwater

View Post

It's probably been covered a ton before but does anyone have any specs for cool DS-1 mods? This will be my first time trying to mod anything and have no real electronics background but the pedal was given to me so I figured I'd try to maybe do something like the JHS "Lexi Drive" mod. Thanks.

There is a great article on the Premierguitar website written from Brian Wampler, I tested all mods and all sounded great.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by the Dodo View Post
There is a great article on the Premierguitar website written from Brian Wampler, I tested all mods and all sounded great.
Thanks man. I'm guessing you're talking about this article. http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ds.aspx?Page=2

How difficult are these for beginners, basically this is like reading a foreign language to me right now.

I don't know if this would ever even end up on my board even after being modded but what ones sounded the best to you? I play stuff in the style on like Brand New and Manchester Orchestra if you are familiar with them.

• Members

My solder kit should be here tomorrow. I also bought a beginner thing that teaches you simple soldering that comes with a circuit board, LEDs, a speaker, etc and techies you how to go through the whole process. I'm off work all next week so I plan to get into all this at some point. Thanks guys.

I already have JHS Superbolt Overdrive, Walrus Jupiter Fuzz, and a guy building me a Klon Klone so I've got a decent range heavier pedals said want something different than those.

• Members

I have a MIT BOSS CE-2 with very little usuable range on the Rate knob. The pedal appears to be stock but it sounds nothing like videos on youtube. It is in tremolo pedal territory by 12:00 with the Rate knob and useless, leslie on speed wobbles beyond that. I saw changing C19 from 103 to a higher value will slow the Rate so I put a 220 in it but it didn't make enough of a difference. Should I maybe change the value of R32 instead of putting larger and larger capacitors in it?

All I want this pedal to do is operate like a stock BOSS CE-2. I wouldn't think I'd need to mod it to make it sound stock but for example if my knobs are at 12:00 like in this video at 1:10 it sounds more like his at 1:52 and gets worse from there. Any ideas?

N/M. Someone on another site made a suggestion that worked wonders: swap C19 with two 1μf electrolytic capacitors, tie the + ends together and solder the - ends to the PCB. I had 1μf non-polarized electrolytics so I tried them and that worked, too. It may not be ed zachary like a stock CE-2 but the Rate sweep is excellent, in my opinion.

• Members

Catalinbread RAH (short for Royal Albert Hall) -- based on Jimmy Page's Hiwatt amp he used in that famous set of concerts at the hall. Sounds really nice -- it's got the Hiwatt thing down pat --fairly clean for the first 2/3s of the gain throw and then a really massive, barking OD that's tighter than a Fender blackface.

IMG_5873_zps7d5f09e5.jpg

IMG_5874_zps85e01472.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34 View Post
Catalinbread RAH (short for Royal Albert Hall) -- based on Jimmy Page's Hiwatt amp he used in that famous set of concerts at the hall. Sounds really nice -- it's got the Hiwatt thing down pat --fairly clean for the first 2/3s of the gain throw and then a really massive, barking OD that's tighter than a Fender blackface.

IMG_5873_zps7d5f09e5.jpg

IMG_5874_zps85e01472.jpg
Nice, you use the tagboard effects layout? I'm considering building on. Looks really nice!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx View Post
Think I'm finally happy with my Klon board. Trace routing isn't the prettiest, but it's not too bad and shouldn't cause any noise problems. Will make sure once I prototype it. Soft touch bypass FTW.

Kentavros-1_zps7d6057e0.png
Is that a via under ic3? Can't you avoid that by routing on the blue layer to the right of the ic? (under r21)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34 View Post
1776 Effects Rub-a-dub reverb using an Accutronics brick. Sounds so good -- lush, room-like.

$9 for the board, $20 for the brick, about $20 in other parts = $50 for stellar reverb!

IMG_5894_zps50562d8a.jpg

IMG_5895_zps11985d83.jpg

IMG_5924_zps232ca038.jpg

IMG_5925_zps3c895395.jpg
damn you have been on a roll! Whats the voicing like? Springy? I'd like to try and do a Spring Chicken clone some day.

• Members

I just placed my first order at Tayda. I had heard of the place but never been there. Its hard not to order tons of stuff with it all being super cheap. $18 shipped and I got plenty of stuff to keep me busy. I went with the standard shipping. Anyone else who uses Tayda find them to be on time with their shipping?

• Members

If I wanted to rehouse my DS-1, I read that a 125b would fit just right in there. However, on mammothelectronics they have pre drilled options and I was wondering what would be the best one for doing the standard Keeley mod? I know it's a little impractical to rehouse it but this would be my first DIY mod and I'd like to rehouse it too and if they have a predrilled version of what would work for the Keeley mod, that would be awesome since I don't really have a means of drilling them myself unless I borrow tools from work. I tried calling them but they are still closed for the holidays I guess.

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4S125B-p/500-1002.htm

Also here's my design for a Klone my friend is building for me. Hoping to make a Buster themed Superbolt clone next.
GobKlon_zps508df3f3.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

I just placed my first order at Tayda. I had heard of the place but never been there. Its hard not to order tons of stuff with it all being super cheap. $18 shipped and I got plenty of stuff to keep me busy. I went with the standard shipping. Anyone else who uses Tayda find them to be on time with their shipping?

I placed an order from tayda, mouser and futurlec at the same time a few weeks ago. The tayda order arrived early last week and I'm still waiting on the others.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RolloGreb

View Post

I placed an order from tayda, mouser and futurlec at the same time a few weeks ago. The tayda order arrived early last week and I'm still waiting on the others.

Ahh. Maybe Mouser takes longer for orders to Canada. I usually get my Mouser orders really fast. However the last few Mouser orders have been small, not sure of that matters much.

Archived