The Offical DIY Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Madbean Cave Dweller delay. Controls are time, dwell and echo. Can get up to 500 - 600 ms of delay using a PT2399.

Elegant circuit that looks -- and more importantly -- sounds great.

I had an Ersatz Verben (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2...reverb-by.html) on my board but the Cave Dweller sounds just as good for slapback reverb with the added bonus of lush, musical delay. Highly recommended build. PCB only costs $7!

Info from the Madbean build document (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/project...veDweller.pdf)

The Cave Dweller I is a low parts count delay comprised of a single PT2399 chip and fitted for a 1590A enclosure. This ranks as a “mediumi-fi” type circuit, meaning that filtering of the PT2399 is kept at a minimum in favor of a small footprint. While you won’t get quite the fidelity of the Echo Base, for example, it still sounds very, very good and offers a somewhat unique flavor of delay. The effect takes advantage of the two on-board amps of the PT2399 for use as input and output mixers. The feedback and filtering are combined in a unique way which produces a slightly different set of controls than the typical PT2399 delay. This leads to some really “haunting” and musical repeats at long delay times.

Time – This sets the delay time up to 500-600ms.

Echo – This control sends a single, minimally filtered repeat mixed into the output mixer.

Dwell – This control sends heavily filtered repeats to the input mixing stage.

The Echo and Dwell controls are meant to be interactive. With Dwell at zero and Echo all the way up, you get clean repeats which are ideal for slapback settings. With the Echo at zero and the Dwell up, filtered repeats are continuously sent back to the input of the circuit. With Dwell and Time set to their respective mid-points the effect yields very ambient and dark repeats. This provides a nice contrast to the input signal and it is part of the unique character of the Cave Dweller – the ambient repeats fit “underneath” the guitar signal. This keeps the overall mixing of guitar and delay very musical and responsive to dynamics and pick swells.

Note it is possible to achieve nearly infinite, non-oscillating repeats at roughly the mid-point of the Dwell control. Setting the Dwell beyond the midpoint brings in the typical runaway oscillation of other delays. Mixing the two controls together allows for a decent range of interactive tone shaping on the repeats and experimentation is highly encouraged.

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumFalcon

View Post

Been a while. Been busy with drumming and such, but I have a few new builds. Here's a Scrambler of the Ampeg variety. Weird pedal.

20121126_120151.jpg

The guts:

20121126_120512.jpg

Nice! This is on my short list -- I'm going to use the tagboardeffects layout which adds a volume control.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

Madbean Cave Dweller delay. Controls are time, dwell and echo. Can get up to 500 - 600 ms of delay using a PT2399.

Elegant circuit that looks -- and more importantly -- sounds great.

I had an Ersatz Verben (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2...reverb-by.html) on my board but the Cave Dweller sounds just as good for slapback reverb with the added bonus of lush, musical delay. Highly recommended build. PCB only costs $7!

Info from the Madbean build document (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/project...veDweller.pdf)

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

Sigh. Chat pedal was going to be the cave dweller with photo eye added for craziness. It rests somewhere in a Pennsylvania pavillion.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache_Bash

View Post

HAWT. I miss my drums even though I only owned them for a brief amount of time. What did you do exactly? Were they just dirty or warped or something?

Thanks! This is actually my backup kit. It's a lower-end Yamaha that had a very ugly metallic blue-ish purple wrap that was scratched/loose/simply awful. I stripped it off, then prepped/filled the shells as best I could (Questionable Mahogany) and did a few coats of minwax polyshades, excessively sanding the whole way. I didn't want to spend too much time/money on this kit as my #1 kit is a vintage Gretsch that gets played on the majority of my gigs, but I wanted a smaller kit to lug around to lower volume gigs and rehearsals and such.

The kit looks alright from a distance but up close you can notice some of the imperfections in the shells. The drums were actually all different shades before staining, so I had to try and match the colours up as best as I could. The drums sound surprisingly good for the amount I paid for them, and I think they'll get quite a bit of playing time. The aftermarket bass drums spurs are my favourite part, they are legit sharp and could be used as weapons.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fortytwo

View Post

As much as i dislike ribboncables, that right there is sexy..

It just made sense in that I wouldn't have to cut, strip and solder 6 individual wires while still keeping the switch and switch wiring offboard for any future troubleshooting.

With that setup I've got 5 individual offboard wires total compared to 11 before. Not to mention the clean look love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron SS

View Post

I definitely should've tried ribbon cables early on. Saves so much time on offboard wiring for production style builds.

IMGP9624.jpg

I could've told you that. poke.gif I do all of my layouts with the pads spaced for ribbon cable at the bottom. Don't always use it that way but when I have ribbon cable on hand, it's awesome. It's even better when you use moles connectors but they only seem to be in stock in the sizes I need a few times a year at Mouser.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

here is a question that sounds really dumb to me, but I have had trouble with it before so here goes:

how do you wire a power supply to two effects in the same enclosure? is it in parallel? do you need to ground things any differently than you usually would?

!Offboard+wiring+-+dual.png

• Members

Madbean Lowrider -- two octave down controls, one octave up and a clean mix control. Amazing circuit.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

Madbean Pork Barrel -- Boss CE-2 clone. Added the depth/LED mod -- makes it a little lusher and the LED blinks in sync with both the time and depth controls. love.gif

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

• Members

I was designing an octavia yesterday and today and realized.

Why has nobody made a pedal that just has a resistor, cap, transformer, two diodes and a volume knob so that you can just plug in any distortion pedal and turn it into an octavia? Best part, it's totally passive. You only need power if you want LEDs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hotmess

View Post

I was designing an octavia yesterday and today and realized.

Why has nobody made a pedal that just has a resistor, cap, transformer, two diodes and a volume knob so that you can just plug in any distortion pedal and turn it into an octavia? Best part, it's totally passive. You only need power if you want LEDs.

Because there's a pretty strong possibility that it won't sound very good when you plug it into something. One, you need a decent amount of gain up front to get a decent octave sound and two, you need a recovery stage to boost the output up to a useable level. I did this up around two years back.

CleanOctave-2.png

If I were to design it today, I'd probably have used an op amp precision rectifier and recovery stage but this works good enough.

Archived