Microphone(s) to compliment a SM57...guitar music

Johansolo

• Members

im gonna try not to open a blackhole in the wallet, but i want to pick up some mics.

i currently have a single sm57 and a Redbox DI which i use.

i have a 2x12 cab thats loaded with one vintage 30 and one greenback

im thinking of using the sm57 on one...and/or a second mic to blend...either with teh v30 or on the greenback.

ive narrowed it down to

-Audix i5

-Sennheiser E609 silver.

both pretty much the same price.

i also want to pick up a budget condensor mic, for room micing or cab micing, maybe vocals.

looking at the 

-Audio Technica AT2020

-MXL V67G

again similiar priced

im on a budget 

phil looking in your direction? 

any other suggestions/recommendations?

I have an e609 and a couple of i5's, and of the two, I definitely prefer the i5. Compared to the SM57 it's similarly versatile, but has a bigger, beefier bottom to it. It's also a bit easier to "place" and a little less placement-sensitive (more forgiving) than the Sennheiser is IMO. The Sennheiser has a lot of fans... I was just hoping it would sound more like a vintage MD409, but unfortunately, it really doesn't.

The only other thing I'd recommend looking into on guitar cabs is a good ribbon. Cascade makes a model called the Fat Head BE (Bare Essentials) that goes for $130 or so, and they sound quite good on guitar amps. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT_HEAD_BE.html

As far as inexpensive condensers go, there's quite a few options out there. I like some of the MXL stuff, but the ones I like the most tend to be a bit more expensive. The Genesis FET and the Revelation series... but on a tight budget, the V67G is not bad at all. I wish they still made the V67i with the dual voiced capsule... I think they still make the tube version, but the FET used to sell for under $200, and it was very versatile. The A/T2020 isn't a bad mic either. I recently got the new version of the Rode NT1 in for review, and it's rather impressive as well, but again, not quite as inexpensive as the sub-$100 V67G is.

Ideally, you should try to audition a few different mics with your own voice and see what sounds best to you. Be careful though - many stores won't let you return mics, so always inquire before purchase as to what their policy is, if they say you can return them later, get it in writing, or just do the auditioning at the store.

• Members

Instead of an inexpensive dynamic mic and an inexpesive condenser, I'd invest in a single high end dynamic mic like an RE20 or 421. They blend really well with 57s, and are also terrific vocal mics- for pop/rock stuff I always go with good dynamic mics over condensers, even when I have access to expensive ones. If you're doing softer, breathy, ballad-y type stuff, you'll probably want a condenser. 

And I'll second Phil's suggention about ribbon mics. I haven't tried any of the inexpensive stuff, but a good ribbon mic on a guitar cabinet is a thing of beauty. They're much more application dependednt on vocals, though. 

• Members

Beyer160 wrote:

Instead of an inexpensive dynamic mic and an inexpesive condenser, I'd invest in a single high end dynamic mic like an RE20 or 421. They blend really well with 57s, and are also terrific vocal mics- for pop/rock stuff I always go with good dynamic mics over condensers, even when I have access to expensive ones. If you're doing softer, breathy, ballad-y type stuff, you'll probably want a condenser. 

And I'll second Phil's suggention about ribbon mics. I haven't tried any of the inexpensive stuff, but a good ribbon mic on a guitar cabinet is a thing of beauty. They're much more application dependednt on vocals, though. 

I'm really disappointed that Beyer160 did not recommend a Beyer 160 which in my opinion, is a great compliment (also excellent on its own) for an SM57.

• Members

yup cost is an issue.

im in australia so your prices + a few more $$$

atm locally i can grab a sennheiser e609 for $115 AUD (usually $150AUD)

and audix i5s are $120AUD posted on ebay aus.

ill most likely grab one of those first and decide on a "better" ribbon/condensor later on.

• Members

ill most likely grab one of those first and decide on a "better" ribbon/condensor later on.

Huh.  Nothing 'wrong' with an i5, but I'd go for the Cascade FatHead BE.  You're likely to find more contrast (and meet your goal of palette expansion) that way rather than "more microphones."  Five versions of chocolate chip still means no strawberry.

Archived