The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient

View Post

NGD!!!!!! Totally_jammin_out.gif

8355837366_93475fe753_c.jpg

Decided to take the Orange up to the local mega used gear shop and see what I could score for it. Found this bad boy on the shelf and picked it up with a hardcase as part of the deal. I know Dan (AGF) was working on a trade deal for one of these, DO IT!!!! This thing is freaking sweet; I absolutely love the neck, the WRHB is pretty sweet and the balance / fit n finish are wonderful. The only issue so far is the pickups are mismatched, the WRHB is way hotter then the bridge pickup, and it could use compensated saddles for intonation but so far its setup pretty good. I also got a modded out MIM p-bass as part of the deal (SD 1/4lb's, badass 2 bridge, hipshot d-tuner), all in all a damn good weekend. smile.gif

Cool score. I'm always kinda weary about the bridge on those. The few I've played just felt weird when I'd try to palm mute. I guess I could get used to it though. I love the Tele Deluxe reissues with two humbuckers though. I've really been gassing for another one lately but with these bills I have about to come in, I know it will be a long time before I can score one. Especially since the next gear related purchase will be getting the speaker in my cab either reconed or replaced.

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Decided to take the Orange up to the local mega used gear shop and see what I could score for it. Found this bad boy on the shelf and picked it up with a hardcase as part of the deal. I know Dan (AGF) was working on a trade deal for one of these, DO IT!!!! This thing is freaking sweet; I absolutely love the neck, the WRHB is pretty sweet and the balance / fit n finish are wonderful. The only issue so far is the pickups are mismatched, the WRHB is way hotter then the bridge pickup, and it could use compensated saddles for intonation but so far its setup pretty good. I also got a modded out MIM p-bass as part of the deal (SD 1/4lb's, badass 2 bridge, hipshot d-tuner), all in all a damn good weekend. smile.gif

What a weekend icon_lol.gif Congrats! Custom Telecasters are badass thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

Cool score. I'm always kinda weary about the bridge on those. The few I've played just felt weird when I'd try to palm mute. I guess I could get used to it though. I love the Tele Deluxe reissues with two humbuckers though. I've really been gassing for another one lately but with these bills I have about to come in, I know it will be a long time before I can score one. Especially since the next gear related purchase will be getting the speaker in my cab either reconed or replaced.

That's another reason I am going to pickup brass compensated saddles for it. My telemaster had the same stock saddles when i got it and they are all wonky and the height screws dig in to your hand, but with the correct saddles its not an issue at all they even include shorter height screws. The deluxes are nice I might have scooped one of those up if they had it but i kinda like the twangy cleans and the chord clarity under gain with the single coil, its just such a noticeable volume drop when switching between neck and bridge. They also had a couple esquires, including a Whores Sig Model icon_lol.gif Which cab did you blow a speaker in?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomB

View Post

What a weekend icon_lol.gif Congrats! Custom Telecasters are badass thumb.gif

Yes yes it was, even had a wicked show the night before i picked these up. Thanks!! Yes they are as I'm finding out.

• Members

View Post

Killer guitar. Black with maple board is damn sexy.

• Members

View Post

That's another reason I am going to pickup brass compensated saddles for it. My telemaster had the same stock saddles when i got it and they are all wonky and the height screws dig in to your hand, but with the correct saddles its not an issue at all they even include shorter height screws. The deluxes are nice I might have scooped one of those up if they had it but i kinda like the twangy cleans and the chord clarity under gain with the single coil, its just such a noticeable volume drop when switching between neck and bridge. They also had a couple esquires, including a Whores Sig Model icon_lol.gif Which cab did you blow a speaker in?

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I run across one of these. I blew a speaker in my newest Emperor cab. The one with 75 watt Weber Silver Bells in it.

• Members

View Post

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I run across one of these. I blew a speaker in my newest Emperor cab. The one with 75 watt Weber Silver Bells in it.

Yup, 15$ and it fixes all your bridge woes. Damn, that sucks dude and those webers aren't cheap either. If WGS made a version I'd say go that way but I don't believe they do.

• Members

View Post

I blew a speaker in my newest Emperor cab. The one with 75 watt Weber Silver Bells in it.

is it dead? did you test it with a battery? I saying this because last month I thought I've blown a speaker and the son of a bitch was just kidding with me icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Yup, 15$ and it fixes all your bridge woes. Damn, that sucks dude and those webers aren't cheap either. If WGS made a version I'd say go that way but I don't believe they do.

$112 for a new one and $65 or so for a recone from the Weber site. cry.gif

Quote Originally Posted by BoomB

View Post

is it dead? did you test it with a battery? I saying this because last month I thought I've blown a speaker and the son of a bitch was just kidding with me icon_lol.gif

How do you test for blown speakers with a battery? I've got a cheap P.A. that one cab with a 10 in it doesnt work. I'm not sure if it is the speaker or something else. The speaker in the 4x12 works still but there is a faint noise in the background where it is kind of distorted. I took the handle off of my cab and reached inside and touched the part that is on the other side of the magnet where the cone attaches to and it stopped. I'm not sure what it is but it is annoying and sounds like crap. It is just the one speaker that does it. I noticed this after playing bass through both cabs and my 120 watt Redbear. I guess all the low end maybe did it or something but I figured if that were the case my other cab with 65 watt speakers would have been affected first. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

How do you test for blown speakers with a battery? I've got a cheap P.A. that one cab with a 10 in it doesnt work. I'm not sure if it is the speaker or something else. The speaker in the 4x12 works still but there is a faint noise in the background where it is kind of distorted. I took the handle off of my cab and reached inside and touched the part that is on the other side of the magnet where the cone attaches to and it stopped. I'm not sure what it is but it is annoying and sounds like crap. It is just the one speaker that does it. I noticed this after playing bass through both cabs and my 120 watt Redbear. I guess all the low end maybe did it or something but I figured if that were the case my other cab with 65 watt speakers would have been affected first. idn_smilie.gif

Connect the terminals to a 9v battery and the speaker should pop if it is alive...but you're saying that there is some noise, so the problem might be something else :S

• Members

View Post

$112 for a new one and $65 or so for a recone from the Weber site. cry.gif

Yikes eek.gif if you can live without the cab for a bit then I'd say go for the recone, if you can't your stuck buying a new one. That's a bummer dude.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey

View Post

I regret not paying attention to these guys earlier. Right up my alley.

Yeah, they're really good. I'm more of a Sludge fan than Doom, and Post-Metal than Stoner, so Black Sheep are right up my alley, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

View Post

I started a t-shirt preorder.

64990_10151625970374552_1449674451_n.jpg

If you want to buy a shirt please email me at dunwichamps@gmail.com with the email title, "T-shirt Preorder". Include in the email which shirt you want (goat, skull, and/or wizard), your shipping address, paypal address, size, and quantity.

I will have some girl cut shirts for the wizard so if you want a girls cut let me know.

Shirts will be $15 shipped in continental US. I will do international, shipping with be determined on a case by case basis.

Would it be all right to order one in a few months and have it sent in with my amp?

View Post

love.gif

I do feel like a jackass though because after getting both of these Redbear heads I've ran them for a total of around less than 10 minutes. The rest of the time they have sat on my shelf. The JCM800 / Revelation combo just sounds so good I don't wanna play anything else.

I know how that feels. I had a Hiwatt on lend from a friend and I just ended up playing my Fryette, because, IMO, it's a better amp and sounds more in line with what I play. I sometimes worry that's going to be the case with the Dunwich. And that's why I'm aiming for the most amount of versatility and practicalities possible, so that the chances of not playing it enough goes down greatly. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by dazedbyday

View Post

I don't know if any of you guys dig Mouth of the Architect but they made a facebook post today that they are finishing up an album that should be released this summer. That makes me super happy as it has been a bit since they have released new material. In honor of that here is a video from their contribution to the newest Falling Down compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjwRYls9Fs

In other news Cult of Luna's new album is also coming out soon and some of their new songs have been popping up on youtube and other download sites. Everything I have heard so far has been killer.

Sweet. I had it in my head that MotA had broken up.

I still haven't picked up Eternal Kingdom. It's been on my Amazon wishlist for two years.

View Post

The 60 watter went up in the spam thread right after I got the Mk120. Figured there was no sense in having two of them plus two other heads. I've really been contemplating selling the MK120 to pay off an incoming ER bill. Sucks when the hospital you work at and have insurance through doesn't help you out in any kind of way with your bill.

You'll regret it. You've been saying you regretting selling your previous ones in the past for over a year now. Then you got two in one go. icon_lol.gif

View Post

You bastard!

Mine should be arriving this week. It wasn't a trade, though, I bought it outright for £500 including shipping. I'll be selling my Edwards hopefully soon for around the same price, so I'll only lose $100 or so.

The seller explained to me after I expressed concern regarding the old bridge saddles that intonation wasn't a problem and that it should be fine. The guitar is in standard tuning, though, and I want it in C standard, so I suspect I'll have to replace the saddles in order to intonate it correctly. At E standard it'll be fine, but maybe not C standard. The Ibanez Artist will then finally be put in Drop C.

View Post

I'm weary about my incoming Tele as well, but I can always replace the entire 'ash tray' style bridge and put a modern Gotoh style flat bed bridge with six individual saddles. That's the great thing about Telecasters, as Skip and I were talking about last week: they're almost entirely customizable, and all at home as well with basic tools.

View Post

I do hope I don't have replace anything on mine, but as I said above, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish

View Post

You bastard!

Mine should be arriving this week. It wasn't a trade, though, I bought it outright for £500 including shipping. I'll be selling my Edwards hopefully soon for around the same price, so I'll only lose $100 or so.

The seller explained to me after I expressed concern regarding the old bridge saddles that intonation wasn't a problem and that it should be fine. The guitar is in standard tuning, though, and I want it in C standard, so I suspect I'll have to replace the saddles in order to intonate it correctly. At E standard it'll be fine, but maybe not C standard. The Ibanez Artist will then finally be put in Drop C.

I'm weary about my incoming Tele as well, but I can always replace the entire 'ash tray' style bridge and put a modern Gotoh style flat bed bridge with six individual saddles. That's the great thing about Telecasters, as Skip and I were talking about last week: they're almost entirely customizable, and all at home as well with basic tools.

I do hope I don't have replace anything on mine, but as I said above, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

biggrin.gif I know, aren't I? icon_lol.gif

I gotcha, I knew you were getting rid of the Edwards and picking up the Tele so I thought it was a trade deal.

Actually as long as your keeping it in a standard style tuning the saddles should work fine, it's if you try and go to a drop tuning where the saddles will really through you off. Also the ashtray part of the bridge is no problem with palm muting for me, its more the saddle height adjustment screws which are way to long for what they need to be. I got a set of 15$ compensated brass saddles with shorter screws for the bridge on my telemaster and it solved everything easily, my G string was still slightly slightly sharp but its inevitable to have atleast 1 slightly off with a three saddle design.

Unless you run into some major intonation issues the stock bridge should be fine. And yes one of the big perks about just about any fender gutiar is the level of customization you can do. Anything you can think of is pretty much possible including changing scale lengths and necks with ease, unlike a gibson or other set neck guitar you kinda stuck with what you got and only making improvements on stock parts unless you spend mad money for custom mods.

You should be fine, and if you do it should be less than 20$ unless you want to swap pickups. All I'm planning on doing is the saddles that i ramble endlessly about and maybe one of the vintage hot neovin GFS tele bridge pickups. Their hum-free and a bit hotter then stock yet they retain the single pickup tele vibe, so it should match up to the WRHB nicely for a hum-free guitar and a total cost of less then 50$.

• Members

View Post

Very nice thumb.gif I've been really eyeing the Squier version of these (and the custom with 2 hbs).

View Post

That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982

View Post

Oof, just got added onto the £5 cheap list for The Sword tomorrow. Wasn't gonna go, but at that price it's tough to say no. The guy who bought the DCCE full stack from us is playing in the support band, so it'll be nice to see our handiwork on stage too smile.gif

Even though the last album was spotty, I still really like The Sword and I am bummed that I've never seen them.

• Members

View Post

biggrin.gif I know, aren't I? icon_lol.gif

I gotcha, I knew you were getting rid of the Edwards and picking up the Tele so I thought it was a trade deal.

Actually as long as your keeping it in a standard style tuning the saddles should work fine, it's if you try and go to a drop tuning where the saddles will really through you off. Also the ashtray part of the bridge is no problem with palm muting for me, its more the saddle height adjustment screws which are way to long for what they need to be. I got a set of 15$ compensated brass saddles with shorter screws for the bridge on my telemaster and it solved everything easily, my G string was still slightly slightly sharp but its inevitable to have atleast 1 slightly off with a three saddle design.

Unless you run into some major intonation issues the stock bridge should be fine. And yes one of the big perks about just about any fender gutiar is the level of customization you can do. Anything you can think of is pretty much possible including changing scale lengths and necks with ease, unlike a gibson or other set neck guitar you kinda stuck with what you got and only making improvements on stock parts unless you spend mad money for custom mods.

You should be fine, and if you do it should be less than 20$ unless you want to swap pickups. All I'm planning on doing is the saddles that i ramble endlessly about and maybe one of the vintage hot neovin GFS tele bridge pickups. Their hum-free and a bit hotter then stock yet they retain the single pickup tele vibe, so it should match up to the WRHB nicely for a hum-free guitar and a total cost of less then 50$.

This is good news. I can always file down the screws if necessary, or there might be a place that sells the same screws but smaller in height. Mine could be OK, anyway. I found bridges varied from guitar to guitar in the Fender world.

I have no idea whether I'll want to swap out the pickups. I have plenty of places in mind either way. I found a new pickup company that was priced pretty well and that seem in line with what I like: hot single coils.

http://manliusguitar.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

View Post

All amp purchases come with 1 free t shirt so pick one and I will have it ready for ur amp

Sweet!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey

View Post

Very nice thumb.gif I've been really eyeing the Squier version of these (and the custom with 2 hbs).

Thanks! If you watch eBay you can find a MIM one like mine for not much more scratch then a new Squier model and the quality is actually much better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish

View Post

This is good news. I can always file down the screws if necessary, or there might be a place that sells the same screws but smaller in height. Mine could be OK, anyway. I found bridges varied from guitar to guitar in the Fender world.

I have no idea whether I'll want to swap out the pickups. I have plenty of places in mind either way. I found a new pickup company that was priced pretty well and that seem in line with what I like: hot single coils.

http://manliusguitar.com/

You can probably find shorter screws pretty easily, or you could file them down from the bottom. The heads are for really small flathead screwdrivers, not hex like everything else i've encountered. And yes the bridges vary alot in fender world.

Wait till you get yours to decide if you want to swap pickups out or not. The bridge one sounds good don't get me wrong is just the volume variation that kinda bugs me. I'm going to play around with pickup height tonight to see if i can dial it out. I'm gonna check that website you posted here in just a minute.

• Members

View Post

love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist

View Post

love.gif

I know! I think its time to get my red fang on. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Oh and here's the P-Bass I also got:

8357739239_87b4902410_c.jpg

?99? MIM P

SD Quarter Pounders

Badass II bridge

Hipshot D tuner

.65-.150 strings in BEAD (or AEAD) tuning.

• Members

View Post

I know! I think its time to get my red fang on. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Oh and here's the P-Bass I also got:

8357739239_87b4902410_c.jpg

?99? MIM P

SD Quarter Pounders

Badass II bridge

Hipshot D tuner

.61-.150 strings in BEAD (or AEAD) tuning.

love P-basses. what brand of strings sells something like that? SIT?

Archived