The Ultimate Monsterpiece Appreciation Thread!

HMCMedic

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Monsterpiece NPN Fuzz

Description:

The Monsterpiece NPN Fuzz is the Monsterpiece that started it all. It has undergone several transformations over the years, and I think that the current version is the definitive version. This is a 2 transistor silicon fuzz utilizing either BC108 or BC109 transistors. The circuit is based on the classic fuzz face circuit, but is by no means a straight up clone. This is by far one of the most musical, dynamic, and responsive silicon fuzzes you will ever hear. A world of fuzz tones lurk within.

Controls (all external) - Volume, Fuzz, Input Bias, Transistor Bias. There is also a mini-toggle "Voice" control that switches between a fuzz tone that has more or less bottom end. The controls are all very interactive - so experimentation is key.

The Monsterpiece NPN can be powered by 9 volt battery, or by 9 to 9.6 volt dc adapter that has a center negative barrel plug. There is also a battery on/off mini-toggle switch standard.

Monsterpiece PNP Fuzz

Description:

The Monsterpiece PNP Fuzz was the Monsterpiece to come along. It has undergone several transformations over the years, and I believe that the current version is the definitive version. This is a 2 transistor hybrid fuzz utilizing mixed silicon/Germanium transistor set. The circuit is based on the classic fuzz face circuit, but is by no means a straight up clone. Like the Monsterpiece NPN, the PNP is an extremely musical, dynamic, and responsive fuzz. A world of fuzz tones lurk within.

Controls (all external) - Volume, Fuzz, Input Bias, Transistor Bias. There is also a mini-toggle "Voice" control that switches between a fuzz tone that has more or less bottom end. The controls are all very interactive - so experimentation is key.

The Monsterpiece PNP can be powered by 9 volt battery, or by 9 to 9.6 volt dc adapter that has a center negative barrel plug. There is also a battery on/off mini-toggle switch standard. Because the circuit is positive ground, you cannot daisy chain power with an adapter.

Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz

Description:

The Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz is the pinnacle as far as Germanium fuzz face based pedals go. This is a 2 transistor Germanium fuzz in which I use various new old stock Germanium transistors such as GT308, AC125, and SFT352 that are hand selected for proper gain & leakage for best sound in each pedal. The circuit is based on the classic fuzz face circuit, but is by no means a straight up clone. Germanium fuzzes based on the fuzz face circuit are known for their exceptional dynamic response to both your picking & guitar volume knob. The Monsterpiece Ge is no exception

• Members

Richard, I'm still confused. Above your wrote "The Monsterpiece MKIII Fuzz is my take on the classic 3 knob sola/colorsound tonebender MKIII circuit."

But in your YouTube video you say and wrote, "Monsterpiece MKIII Fuzz based on a 3 Germanium transistor Tone Bender MKII Pro circuit with some added twists."

I would think that your MKIII would be like the Sola Sound MKIII, but was confused by your previous description.

• Members

I have updated the descriptions for those with "as of June 2012" cool.gif

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

Richard, I'm still confused. Above your wrote "The Monsterpiece MKIII Fuzz is my take on the classic 3 knob sola/colorsound tonebender MKIII circuit."

But in your YouTube video you say and wrote, "Monsterpiece MKIII Fuzz based on a 3 Germanium transistor Tone Bender MKII Pro circuit with some added twists."

I would think that your MKIII would be like the Sola Sound MKIII, but was confused by your previous description.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That is an old youtube vid of a pre-June 2012 Monsterpiece MKIII. For any Monsterpiece MK whatever, it all changed as of June 2012 to be damn good sounding clones of the original vintage pedals.

I just got an Olympus LS-20M HD Linear PCM video/audio recorder, and as soon as I have time I will be putting out a whole new batch of youtube demos that will hopefully be much better quality than that old crap I made with a cheap-o digital camera biggrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived