Is the Fulltone Distortion Pro that bad?

Humbucker

• Members

Is the Fulltone Distortion Pro that bad?

I've heard that they're pretty crappy and basically just a tweaked-out RAT pedal. I find it kind of hard to believe that Fuller would release something that's just no good.

I'm asking because there's a guy in my area that's got one for sale, $150 (Canadian).

• Members

I bought one used about a week ago.... It really shines with single coils, but can be tweaked for humbuckers. This is my first fulltone pedal,and it won't be my last. At $150C if you end up not liking it,you can get most of your money back selling it.

• Members

I remember it didn't sound that bad, I liked it actually, but for the lower gain sounds the Fulldrive 2 does an even better job imo.

The higher gain sounds were nice when I played solo lines, but pedals like a keeley modded ds-1 or keeley modded Rat do an overall better job when playing high gain sounds. So, it's not bad, but I've heard better pedals at a lower price.

• Members

Ok So I am a Fulltone fan and I bought the Distortion Pro and Hated it for at least 6 months. But I kept it and kept tweeking it (it has so many damn knobs) and finally found the sound I was after on it......Yesterday I got my OCD in the mail and tried it last night at the gig. I put it in line right after my DP....I A/B'd them and the settings I liked on the OCD sounded EXACTLY like where I had my DP.....I truly think they are the same except the OCD has more fixed resistor values so that people cant make it sound bad. I would almost bet that Fuller realized that the DP got a bad rap but knew that I sounds good so he set it up to be idiot proof and relabled it.

Any of you builder guys know how the curcuits are dif? am I way off?

I'm really debating on which I should keep now?

So, to answer the question...NO it ain't that bad if it can get the same sound as the much HYPED OCD!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Bumping becuase I want to :)

The Distortion Pro and OCD are the only two distortion (not fuzz or OD, but distortion) pedals that I have ever liked. My buddy had a Fulldrive 2 before it got stolen, and that was a pretty sweet pedal and the only other Fulltone I ever tried.

I plugged into the DP and the OCD with an Epiphone LP (one of the best I've ever played, suprisingly) into a small Fender Hot Rod 1x12 tube amp, and man they both rocked. They didn't sound like distortion pedals at all, but like actual cranked amp distortion. They responded like an amp, cleaning up with the volume knob on the guitar (with the OCD cleaning up better than the DP). They also had great harmonics, making pinches much easier to play than other pedals I tried. Seems that the ones I played just hit the nail on the head.

I plan on getting one of the two; I just haven't decided. I have a feeling that the OCD is more of an overdrive flavor whereas the DP is more of a distortion flavor, although they cross over into each other. I think the OCD is much more of a "dialed-in" pedal, but I'm leaning towards the DP because I remember it being more of that distortion style. I plan on running a Fulldrive 2 for that Tubescreamer style overdrive/clean boost, and the DP/OCD for a heavier distortion sound.

• Members

i didnt mind the DP. Very amp like in its tone, tweakable and definately one that needs some time and attention to find what you are after.

I didnt keep it b/c it lost out to the zvex super hard on and frantone peachfuzz.

I pondered getting one again a few months ago, but then i tried a tube zone.....so that ended that. But it is quite a nice pedal.

• Members

If you have the chance Humbucker, give it a try. You may like it even if many (most?)people don't.

I tried the 2002 version and did not like it. I sent it to Mike Fuller and got the updated version (for a fee), and I also did not like it. In addition, I did not like Mike Fuller's customer service. By the way, I've dealt with AnalogMan, Keeley, Barber, Gagan, Teese, Siegmund, Olaf, Lorren, Fox, Marcus, et. al., and never had a negative experience.

I tried both versions of the pedal with different guitars and amps, and it just did not sound good to me. And I love tweaking pedals. I don't mind spending time fiddling with knobs, switches, internal trimmers, etc. The DP just did not do it for me. If I ever see a new one for $50 I might buy it.

Again, if you have the chance to try it give it a shot. You may like it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The DP is a very amp dependent pedal, as are many out there. I'm sure that I could plug it into my Twin Reverb and it might not like it but the Matchless loves it...and no, the matchless doesn't love EVERY pedal ....It does love most of them.

OCD rocks too, I'm looking for a newer OCD, I have one of the older ones now.

• Members

Ran the older DP into a Dr. Z with my PRS Custom... did not like it, but supposedly it's a "strat player's wet dream" so who knows? I didn't think it was "amp like" and it didn't clean up well. I found I had to tweak a lot of knobs to find a couple of usable sounds, and those sounds were very specific and over-the-top, e.g. I could get a really great simulation of Slash's lead tone going, but I'm not in a hair metal band and I don't take "epic guitar solos" so it was kind of a goof more than anything... my bandmates tended to laugh when I played through it.

But again, your mileage will vary with your amp/guitar and your style of music.

I have since bought a Barber Direct Drive and find it almost foolproof-- great sounds all over the knob range. Have a FoxRox ZIM and feel the same way about it. Lots of tweaking if you want, but usable sounds throughout. I really think the DP is less flexible than most pedals...

P.S. I know people love Fuller's work, but I think some of his pedals sound sort of 80s and "sterile." The Choralflange is a great example-- compared to my Analogman Clone Chorus, it sounds downright digital. I sold it... I also like my Sweetsound Mojovibe better than Fuller's Deja vibe... all of which is to say, you should play through the pedals yourself and ignore the hype. When Fuller first arrived on the scene, there wasn't nearly the range of boutique products available, and he was something special. These days I think there's a better alternative to almost everything he makes. And I'm not a Fulltone hater or anything-- that's just been my experience.

• Members

I've been experimenting with it driving other pedals with it. I keep the distortion kind of medium to low and boost the volume. For the mini pots, I keep the low end (resonance) and mids (voicing) down and the highs are maxed out (sort of a wierd top boost) and saturation as well (I like the sponginess, and the ratty decay is better with the circuit upgrade, but still there a bit when the signal decays).

Brett

• Members

I liked it over my Vibro King, that I don't own anymore...since then it has been in the closet.

Did hear it on an old Plexi....:eek: that was amazing!! That was the first time I completely understood that pedal. No bad sounds. Whatever setting we used. With everything else I heard, it was really difficult.

Hope it hepls.

• Members

i, for one, love the pedal. it has lots of knobs, and trim pots on the inside. it takes some time to get where you want to be, but it gets there.

i think the DP is for a player who wants to search for that sound with a wide variety of options available. spend the time and learn how to adjust the pedal and it is great. definitely not plug and play.

i think alot of people don't like it because it requires the time to learn and adjust. same reason some amps get called bad, when they aren't for someone not willing to spend the time to learn them.

your tone is in there, but you have to have the patience and know how to find it.;)

• Members

I don't agree with the take that some people just "want to plug and play" and it's our fault for not tweaking countless knobs.

Some sounds deserve mass-tweaking... I love my MOOG MuRF, My Fuzz Factory, my Memory Lane, my Lovetone Doppelganger, etc. But this is a distortion pedal-- I just want it to sound like the best possible version of my cranked amp and guitar-- I think the amount of adjustment required resulted in a "fake" sounding tone in the end, whereas a good OD or Distortion shouldn't really be that difficult to dial in. Am I crazy?

And also, for the record, I tweaked mine plenty before moving on to greener pastures. And I certainly haven't looked back!

• Members

I have been playing about with mine for a few days now, for some reason, when I use the no1 trim pot to lower the gain, it doesn't seem to do much. Is that right, or is it just me? The manuel says to turn these pots a tiny wee bit at a time, I find it difficult to hear any difference, maybe its because i am only at bedroom volume.

I shall tweak away :)

Any suggestions for a good overdriven blues rythm sound?

Jon

• 7 years later...

Archived