Boss GT-8 vs. Digitech GNX4

rcervera

• Members

Im trying to decide between this two pedalboards, I think I will use every feature available, so feel free to debate the positive and negative aspects of each, important differences, etc, Distortion very important for me, and distortion versatility too.

Sound quality of course is always on top.

Note: Money is no problem and therefore not a factor in the fight

thx for info + opinions

• Members

I do have to agree with folks supporting the XT Live.

The cool thing it has over the other units is you can switch off the amp models thereby shutting down the preamp end of the board. from what I have seen of the gt-8 and genx you are locked into using the preamp section...

• Members

You are not locked into using the preamp models of the gt-8. They are very easy to turn on/off.

Based upon my comparisons between my Gt-6 and a bandmate's gnx 3, the gt-6, programmed badly outsounds the gnx. If the gt-8 is even the same modelling as the gt-6, its better than the gnx.

• Members

I like the GT-8 over the Pod XT live and any Digitech GNX.

I love my old Digitech GSP 21 but those GNX's sound very fake to my ears. The recording function is kind of cool but what's the point if you're recording {censored}ty tones.

You are not locked into any pre-amp section with the GT-8 plus you can place effects in any order you want...plus it can switch amp channels!

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

hmmm thx but so far I haven't heard a good reason to say the GNX4 is bad, just seems like `people hate digitech...

anyboy else?

I dont beleive you can turn off the preamp on the Digitech, and you can the others. That makes it good for just using it for FX, with a separete amp/preamp. WHich sucks, because the main part that Digitech beats the others is with its pitch Shift/Whammy abilities.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

I dont beleive you can turn off the preamp on the Digitech, and you can the others. That makes it good for just using it for FX, with a separete amp/preamp. WHich sucks, because the main part that Digitech beats the others is with its pitch Shift/Whammy abilities.

Under the modeling section on almost every Digitech high end floor processor from the RP2000 on up, there is a DIRECT model setting.(which is pretty self explanatory)

While Digitech's aren't loved much here I can share most's views that thier amp modeling IMHO... sucks.(save maybe the decent JCM 800 impersination on my RP2000) Besides, I didn't buy the thing to run it for distortion sounds when I have a well setup tube rig for that. As for the effects, they aren't exactly spectacular, but they get the job done and it's worth it to me for the parametric EQ and whammy options on my RP2000.

What works for me, may or may not work for you. Effects processors are a love/hate thing for many, you either love them or hate them, plain and simple. This does not equate they are worthless or that someone cannot tweak them to get great sounds out of them however. These units definately require alot of deep editing to get the most out of them and this is something you cannot find out plunking around with it for 5 minutes in a store.(this pretty much goes for any multi unit)

I have to say the GT8 is probably the most advanced for live applications, the PODxt Live is the best studio unit and the Digitech is a jack of all trades, but a master of none...

• Members

I have the GNX4 and love it. I've noticed that most of the people who don't like it never really took their time to learn how to use it. Just read the negative reviews in the HC Effects review section and you'll know what I mean. There's a learning curve with this unit, but it's really not that difficult. Most of the people who complained about bad sound simply forgot to turn off the speaker comp.

You can turn the modeling off and just use effects.

There's a user at the Digitech site called Guitar3456 who posts awesome patches, all free. He's a sound guy who gets access to some really nice amps. Updates are free too. I bought this unit mainly to clean up the amount of floor effects but I learned that you could do so much more.

If you decide to play bass to compose your own stuff, the GNX4 can handle it. It also handles vocals and has phantom power. The drum machine is programmable through your computer and sounds great.

The bundle comes with ProTracks Plus software which is a scaled down version of Sonar.

One of the keys to getting good tone on this machine is using the X-Edit software. Some of the guys on the Digitech site are dialing in some incredible tones.

I've tried all of the units out, but I can't say that I know how to work them all well enough to get the best sounds out of them. I ended up liking the GNX4 the best. JMHO. If another unit comes along that I think is better, I'll buy it regardless of who makes it. It just hasn't happened yet. That's not to discredit the Pod or the Boss, they're both excellent, it's just that they don't have all of the features that I need or they charge extra for them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Members

Im not even sure where this things go, between guitar and input? Effects Loop? Is the effects loop necesary then?

What Im really looking for in a unit is my Mesa Rectifier's powerful distortion, (+effects) but in a portable package - pluging into cheap combos, is that possible?

Sound quality is the most important thing then, in case i have to use it instead of my head and 412...

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

Im not even sure where this things go, between guitar and input? Effects Loop? Is the effects loop necesary then?

What Im really looking for in a unit is my Mesa Rectifier's powerful distortion, (+effects) but in a portable package - pluging into cheap combos, is that possible?

Sound quality is the most important thing then, in case i have to use it instead of my head and 412...

You should really call Mesa and ask them about which rack and floor processors work with that amp. There are things that don;t sound so good through that loop. Like my old Digitech sounds like complete {censored} through my Dual Rectifier as does my Korg DT1000 tuner!!!

They will undoubtedly talk to you about Rocktron stuff (a fine product) but ask them specifically about processors you're thinking about buying.

• Members

My vote goes for the gt8 for sure especially in conjuction with an amp. My Gt6 has usable preamp sims and the best effects in that price range imho. The digitech stuff is fine for what it is but I have always thought the stuff didn't sound as good as the boss products. I haven't used the podxt live or the tonelab so I can't comment on those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dont be fooled by people saying there are good patches on the digi site, they all sound the same like a tin can. even through flat response headphones they lack.. granted this guitar3456 at the site makes better then average patches. he uses thousands of dollars of gear to test an amp tone he is going for and match the frequencys through some kinda spectrometer or something, I know I dont have that gear at my house...

Line 6 is 100% better tone wise, looks, price i'm embarrased I blew all that money on the gnx4 only to get a 8 track recorder and a drum machine, I'm running a line 6 uber metal in front of the gnx4 now and only use some of the effects on the gnx4 Glad to say line 6 saved me from throwing this expensive chunk of aluminium out the window......

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Can't help but cast another vote for the GNX4.

I've been playing for over 20 years and got the Digitech without even hearing it just as a practice tool. Recording song ideas would be a bonus, and I was praying to God that the digital modeling wouldn't disgust me too much. After all my setup is 2 preamps (Triaxis and JMP-1) running in parallel, each with its own FX unit (Intellifex and Lexicon MPX-1), into a Laney VC100 equipped with EV-type speakers. One can figure my tone standards are fairly high.

So I got the GNX4, plugged in my Strat and a good quality set of headphones (which is very important), and wasn't too impressed at first. "Digital crap", I thought, but then again I wasn't expecting much.

And then it happened; a few days later and after some tweaking I was able to come up with a patch that was almost identical to my main lead tone (Triaxis)!!! And I've just begun to scratch the surface, using like 10% of the tone modeling features (no hypermodeling yet). Awesome little machine. BTW the drums sound GOOD, and the patterns are not the crappy cheap organ style - they're actually usable and inspiring to me.

I don't know the other modelers (Boss, Line6, etc), but I wouldn't trade my GNX4 for any of those. It seems to me that the people who trash the GNX4 don't know how to use it, but that's not my problem - I'm a very satisfied customer.

• Members

Admittedly, there are other units which sound 'good' but this unit has a stiff learning curve. We live in a 'plug and play' society where we expect great tones out of the box.

Make no mistake, this unit has a learning curve. There is also a companion manual written by Craig Anderton which goes into this unit in much more detail than the manufacturer. I'm still playing with mine and have yet to be bored by the amount of tones that can be produced from this unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Heh I gotta throw in my 2 cents here. I dont have any digitech stuff but I did go buy the line 6 pod live xt.

Honestly I hated the pod. It has a midrange his no matter what you do. I tried every concievable gear set up ( my buddy ownes a reharsal studio) and I even went and bought an atomic reactor and still no dice.

Never could put my finger on it the pod just sounds....synthy...to me.....

So after 3 months of fighting that damn pod I went as soon as the GT 8 came out and traded in......(american music supply is the best place to buy from....btw)

Now the GT8, what a brain {censored}.......Imho killer in line set ups, killer effects, very very tweakable........{censored} ass puke {censored} tonage......pure garbage....If you looking for an effects board this thing will do the job....I think most of the effects are better then the boss blue box ( not sure of the name off hand, my ex roomate has one so I compared) but if you are looking for modeling and recording this thing blows. Definatly made for live apps, not as studio friendly I suppose as the line 6 pod pos.

So Now Ive got like 650 bucks credit with AMS. No i have not purchased a floor unit yet......but guess what.....the gnx 4 is next on the list to try......but Ive stayed away from digi because ive read these forums a long time and most people say that digi stuff is lame ass stuff.

Ok no prob, ive never givin them a second glance. Untill last week. I hunted and searched and I found a friend of friend that has one. He was so kind as to let me borrow it for a few days. Ive ended up having it all this week.

I must say it is the swiss army knife of floor units.

I must also say it looks cheap/cheesy as hell. What is this 1989 still? I laugh everytime I look at the beast on my floor.

Oh its big. Man its almost to big. Not sure how I would feel giging with it. Seems pretty tough but damn If I get a little to boozed up I would trip over this damn thing every night, guaranteed.

Who cares bout that right? rock n roll.

The sound.....Hmm I think its pretty good. The basic patches suck, but all the units basic patches suck so thats no biggy.

But heres what impressed me. I plug it into a Fender FM212 and by god it {censored}in rocked, no I have not spent days/weeks looking for gear or pa's or powered monitors to plug this into.....damn strait to the fender.

It sounds to my ears........real. more real then the other 2. As real as the real thing. hmm no but in the mix?? not one tone snob on this board could pull it out.

Ive not even messed with the funky 8 track. The drum machine is pretty kick ass I must admit. All in all I think I thought this big ass thing would be a big pos but honestly IM pretty surprised at what Im pullin out of it........now damn I know as soon as I get a bunch of llittle things dialed in he will want it back...........................................

Archived