mesa/boogie f-series, 50/100 6l6, or 30 el34

mr.sosa

• Members

hi... I'm about to buy an amp and I can't really decide whether to buy a mesa f-30 or an f-50... I like the cleans on the f-50 better.. but i like dirty sounds better on the f-30... what do you guys think? which one do you like better.. and why? thanks :D

• Members

Hi mr.sosa,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your taste in amps! :p

At the end of the day, the decision is really going to boil down to your own taste. Both amps have their fair share of fans, and with good reason. The 6L6 F-series has a beautifully "American" voicing on both its clean and dirty channels, whereas the F-30 can sound much more "British". :cool:

My tastes favour the 6L6 F-series, although I can totally see and respect why some of my F-series brothers prefer the F-30. There's a great spirit amongst the entire F-series brotherhood - something that I don't take for granted considering the bizarre but often fierce rivalry between Mesa owners.

I'd highly recommend checking out the F-series Lounge (link in sig) for discussion about the merits of the different amps.

Some additional points to consider - if you're a big fan of the EL84 tone, then it's worth bearing in mind that there a number of Tube Socket converters around (e.g. THD YellowJackets) that allow you to run EL84s in a 6L6 amp (or EL34 amp). Such "YellowJacketed" EL84s will be run in Class A, so it won't make a F-50 sound like a Class AB F-30 - nevertheless, it might be an interesting option.

One final consideration to throw in the mix. You may also want to look at the Lonestar Special - another El84 Mesa with sweet clean and dirty tones. I personally loved the 6L6 Lonestar Classic, but as you know, I'm a 6L6 kind of guy. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Originally posted by mr.sosa

thanks dann, I'll check the f-series lounge, and will go try the f-30 and f-50 side to side... see with one I like better.

ps. helpful clips yey
:D

That's what I did, you'll hear the difference right away. I bought the f-50 but they're both great, just depends what your preference is.

Mark

Archived