Zakk Wylde No Rest for the Wicked Tone

murky69nz

• Members

I'm trying to nail Zakk Wylde's tone on No rest for the Wicked.

In particular, his tone on Mirricle Man.

To my ear it doesn't sound like a JCM800. Sounds more like a wickedly souped up plexi or something.

I also quite like Chris Impellitteri's tone on Perfect Crime (System X), and power of Love (Grin and bear it).

Anyone any idea what gear Zakk used to record No rest? Was it a JCM800, or a Metaltronix M1000 head (or Gp1000 preamp)?

Thanks

• Members
Originally posted by murky69nz

I'm trying to nail Zakk Wylde's tone on No rest for the Wicked.

In particular, his tone on Mirricle Man.

To my ear it doesn't sound like a JCM800. Sounds more like a wickedly souped up plexi or something.

I also quite like Chris Impellitteri's tone on Perfect Crime (System X), and power of Love (Grin and bear it).

Anyone any idea what gear Zakk used to record No rest? Was it a JCM800, or a Metaltronix M1000 head (or Gp1000 preamp)?

you'll find its a 800

Gibbo w/ EMGs offcourse

Thanks

;)

• Members

Originally posted by wor lez

Lee jackson amp of some variety I think. Great tone. Its also chorused by the sounds of it which will thicken up the sound.

According to a Zakk interview I read, the Metaltronix rig was used sparingly on NRFTW. Most of the album was recorded with a JCM 800.

• Members

I've got an M-1000 head. (signed of course, insiode and out).

EMG's + the Metaltronix is spot on. No special settings.

The album has AWESOME production though, so while I say "spot on", I mean how a Mark IIC+ does a spot on Metallica... it's "there", but you won't enjoy the studio grease/multitracking enhancement that makes the albums destroy you.

Archived