Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tobiahtayo

I just purchased a 4 input Marshall JCM 800 :-) 1987. Also patching inputs?

Recommended Posts

Anyone know much about these. I scored it a resonable ish price and thought why not give it a try. I'll be using a pedal with it most likely oh and a HOTPLATE!!! as its non master volume!

 

Which inputs would you patch? What does it exactly do...

 

Does anyone know if these are collectable?

 

I'll do some sound clips when its received and when i get my mbox sometime this/next week :-)

 

16_1_b.JPG

42_1_b.JPG

14_1_b.JPG

26_1_b.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they are similar to a plexi but with poorer quality parts, sorry Tob. Some people might find them collectable since there aren;t too many about, but certainly not for tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jump one of the low/ normal inputs into the high / bright inputs. That combines the channels which gives it more gain. Yes most likely some attenuation will be required as it will be loud. Not sure how collectable they are, but I think they only made those in the early 80's.

 

Depending on what sound you want, many people end up modding them at least for a simple PPIV master volume. Plenty of schematics available on the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Tobiahtayo

Anyone know much about these. I scored it a resonable ish price and thought why not give it a try. I'll be using a pedal with it most likely oh and a HOTPLATE!!! as its non master volume!


Which inputs would you patch? What does it exactly do...


Does anyone know if these are collectable?


I'll do some sound clips when its received and when i get my mbox sometime this/next week :-)


16_1_b.JPG
42_1_b.JPG
14_1_b.JPG
26_1_b.JPG

 

Take out the bottom input on the right side, and put in a dual 500K pot, then, look up the "rich mod" or ask around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The traditional way of "jumping channels" is to take a short patch cable and run it from the bottom left input to the top right input as you're facing the amp from the front.

 

I've never tried these and you don't see them around much, so I'm not sure what it will sound like. I can only assume that it will sound like the 1959 or 1987 models.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, usual is you plug in top left, and then run a patch lead from bottom left to top right.

 

(then run a cable from bottom right to another amp!!! WOOOO!!!!)

What does it exactly do...

 

Oh - it means you're plugged into both channels simulataneously - normal and high treble or whatever it's called on that model - then you blend both volumes to suit your taste - I never really like it that much - but then, I don't like really thick guitar sounds. They're great when playing on your own but recording or with a band I think they either get lost or take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a Superbass that is pretty similar - 4 inputs, the other week.

 

Running it with a Weber MASS and a SD-1 and a GE-7 (which I got from you!) - pretty sweet.

 

Had band practice last night, and I like it a lot - sits nicer in the mix for our style stuff than the Mesa F-50 I had before. It goes really well with our other guitar player's Engl Thunder.

 

Gonna try running a big muff in front tonight at practice for when I need a thicker sound.

 

I run a patch lead between the bottom left and top right channels.

 

I picked mine up for 250 quid too. (hell of a lot cheaper than the Mesa!)

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by MRscratch

plug into the top right and jump from bottom right to top left.

its a beauty, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

 

That's the opposite of the "typical" way to jump channels. Does that sound better than the "typical" way in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive noticed every one else said the opposite. i just foud that i like the tone of the treble chanel with bass added as oposed to bass chanel with trble added.

im shure whatever will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by MRscratch

ive noticed every one else said the opposite. i just foud that i like the tone of the treble chanel with bass added as oposed to bass chanel with trble added.

im shure whatever will work.

the thing is , mine was modded to take out the bright cap ,and put in a fender bassman cap. it lowers that high end. mine also has a master put in the lower left input. so i have to plug in that way. but i found that when i try my buddies, i still like it that way better., ' anty typical"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Big Hair

they are similar to a plexi but with poorer quality parts, sorry Tob. Some people might find them collectable since there aren;t too many about, but certainly not for tone.

 

Hey btw sorry for not getting back to u on your amps. i couldnt find the prices on here...

 

I'll have to see what its like, you know me it'll probably be for sale next week :D

 

oh well we shall see :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Tobiahtayo

^anyone got any clips of one and why are the parts so bad?

 

I'm not sure they are that bad, sorry to mislead you - just read Trace commenting that they werent as good as older model for parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Big Hair



I'm not sure they are that bad, sorry to mislead you - just read Trace commenting that they werent as good as older model for parts.

 

Haha i thought crap i've just bough a gorrila :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Tobiahtayo

^anyone got any clips of one and why are the parts so bad?

 

From what I've read, there isn't that much difference, but they did make a few changes over the years. From the Plexi, up through your amp, they changed the transformers a few times, and even minute things in the circuit. One of the things that that they changed, was the types of Resistors etc on the board. I don't know if that had a huge effect on the tone or not, but some people have done enough testing, to know for sure.

 

One thing, is that in 79, they went to the caps that look like this yellow one and lots of guys have said that changing those out, makes a huge difference in tone.

 

SLGuts011.jpg

 

Here's a 75 Super Lead, you can see the progression of changes. I don't know how much are good or bad in particular, I'm just showing that there were a few gradual changes made over time.

 

SLGuts003.jpg

 

71 Super Lead

 

71Superlead014.jpg

 

69 Super Bass

SuperBass002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow it came today- sounds amazing!

 

the thing i noticed though is how loud it is.. it just goes from 1-10 on volume! nothing in between... the vols just add gain..!

 

?!?!? im gonna make a clip...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Tobiahtayo

wow it came today- sounds amazing!


the thing i noticed though is how loud it is.. it just goes from 1-10 on volume! nothing in between... the vols just add gain..!


?!?!? im gonna make a clip...

 

yes please - I'd like to hear one! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BEFORE ANYONE ASKS ITS UNLIKELY ITS A KEEP I'LL BE HONEST I BOUGHT IT TO SELL... I NEED MONEY AT THE MOMENT

 

BUT IN THE FUTURE ID LOVE ONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...