Dale B's top picks for HIGH GAIN preamp/power tubes

Daneswede1

• Members

Well After speaking with Dale B. the other day about which preamp and power tubes to use with my BOgnerUberschall and Marshall JCM 800 reissue with a brand new Mercury Magnetic Transformer and choke. I called and emailed aver 10 noted and very popular amp techs and sound guys in the industry to pick their brains as well and test Dales knowledge out and see who would back up/ concur with Dale and his TOP PICKS!

Needless to say many if not every one of them agreed and were wuite impresses with Dales knowledge. I always do my homework!:p

Ok, FOr you guys out there with little or no knowledge of which tubes are best for your HIGH GAIN amp or are frustrated about the whole thing or just want some input on the subject here is a few top pix straight from Dale.

DALES TOP PICKS for High Gain amps:

I. #1 Choice for MOST AMPS- was the 9TH GEN. CHINESE 12ax7a's:

- these tubes are widely known for adding brightness to your sound. He was adament that this would be his FIRST CHOICE and I listened !

II. #2 NOS (New Old Stock) MULLARD -or- TELEFUNKEN ECC83's:

For the MARSHALL LINE: At first Dale was quick to point out that this was a good choice but later wrote this may be a bit OVERKILL due to their HIGH PRICE but still a great choice if you want to spend the money$.

III. #3. GE 12ax7's: for the BOGNER LINE:

-These tubes are also known for their brightness and fast attack I would call it (Inspirational for your speed picking from hell :) if thats your bag. cmon admit it! YOu love to shred!

IV. #4. EH 12ax7's: for the MARSHALL LINE:

-Another good choice for the Marshall amps. Im not sure exactly why this was a choice but I would guess once again these tubes are known.

V. NOS (New Old Stock):

-RFT ECC83's, Expensive New Old stock tubes that Dale raved about and was another TOP PICK for the Marshall Line of amps. Again, A well voiced and nice Harmonic content tube.

VI. MAZDA CHROME PLATE 12ax7: MOST AMPS:

-This was one that I brought to Sales attention and he immediately chimed up and responded with this (MAKE SURE this NOS tube has been THOROUGHLY tested to ensure its first quality rating i.e. TESTED FOR NOISE AND ESPECIALLY MICROPHONICS. All your NOC style tubes that you will be spending a LOT of money for should be 100% gaurenteed and tested.

NOTE: NOTICE how I said ONE tube here and not (s) plural. This is because they advertise and again was backed up with the following statment for its primary use and I qoute "Chrome plates, superb harmonics and performance in the FIRST GAIN STAGE of just about ANY amplifier in your arsenal" I liked that commentary! They know how to sell a tube to us gear heads.

ONE MORE NOTE: Daleas well as every single tech I spoke with were quick to point out that the preamp tube which is used in the FIRST GAIN STAGE of your amp produces 80% to 85% of your tone !!! Hows that for a decision to make. THat MAZDA is looking good to me more and more. HOpe the damn thing works for a 40 year old NOS tube!

Well, Thats it guys, I hope I helped and this should get a sticky but I wont push. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and thanks to DALE B. for his honesty and knowledge in this field. By the Dale. BOGNERS KICK ARS!

Jimi Henderson aka Daneswede

MY CURRENT RIG (MODIFIED) and a little SPAM $ are.

MARSHALL 1960a Cabinet for sale $475 (4 x 12'' G12H75's)

FULLTONE FULLDRIVE 2 with an ARAMAT mod switch $75.00=ship.

I paid $750 for the cab so thats a hell of a deal and $150 for the FUlldrive which is also serial #d by Mike FUlltone and dated 12-01.

MARSHALL 2203x 100 watt head: just had toneman.com install a MERCURY MAGNETIC TRANSFORMER AND CHOKE. As well I am ordering an extra set of tubes for the preamp section i.e the MAZDA NOS and the Mullard and Telefunken ( After the tube lesson Im psyched and had some xtra float$ to blow on tubes which is a good choice because lets face it . Its my precious sound were talkin.Oh yeah-I went with JJ Tesla EL34s and 9th Gen Chinese 12ax7s for now and will put the MAZDA in myself for the taste test (more to follow later on this subject)

BOGNERUBERSCHALL Version2: I LOVE THIS AMP. Funny story I bought it this year about 6 months back for $1,200 dollars from an attorney friend who got it as a partial fee from the client. He was happy to pass on the deal to me for he also got a BOgner Ecstacy CLassiv-numerous ZVEX and Klon and Fulltone, etc pedals from this guy! What a life to lead, eh' should a gone to Law School! (IM KEEPING IT- Love it for my High Gain Rhythms and the Clean Channel is incredible as well) I also put JJ Tesla and CHinese 9th gen in here as well. Ordered a couple differant sets of other types of 12ax7s (SEE ABOVE-Dales Picks)

BOGNER UBERCAB (Need I explain !) Great cab and buying another for my Marshall!2xV30 and 2xGT75s

Im not gonna list all my other stuff to an nopy everyone but i essentially it is a KLON and TS9 by Analogman and TC G FOrce that i primarily use for fx and a handful of other fx, Furman conditioing etc.

Good lUck with your next tube purchse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One long FRIGGIN Thread and thats it for me for posts tonight!

YIKES!!!!! Sorry my typing sucks coc$@#$*#@

• Members

Originally posted by auronius123

did you even mention power tubes?

OOPS! {censored}, Oh well. I originally wanted and went for JJ Tesla EL34s which Dale and I agreed that were good tubes.(BOgner almost MANDATES that you use them in their heads).

There are others. Please feel free to mention any you have used that sound good to you! Thanks for the mention. I got so into the whole PReamp thing!

I already Had it in my mind about JJ Tesla EL34s for both my Marshall and BOgner.

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

Well, I wouldn't say that list is entirely correct as far as the order is concerned, but all of those are great tubes. Like psychodave mentioned, there are some other NOS preamp tubes that sound great.

Well I wasnt really going by #1 pick, #2 pick and so on as far as one being a better choice than others. Just randomly listed each type of tube. The 9th Gem. CHinese was a TOP PICK I guess but not the only choice of course as you stated. I was just happy for the enlightenment! THx!

Yes, We could of gone on and listed more tubes that were very usable in the HIgh Gain Game as well but I didnt want to pick your brain all night, figured youd get burnt out.

If there is a couple of other untapped choices you know of please do tell! :) Master JEdi! LO!L

By the way, I have played extensively on a BOgner Ecstacy Classic but never the 101B? In your Opinion, Is there a huge differance or have you ever tried the Classic even?

Wanted to add that being a staunch Marshall JCM 800 guy since 1988 I felt the Ecstacy CLassic had a similiar voicing to it as the Marshall. HOwever I also felt that it was almost more consistent , darker and very chewy around the notes, friggin excellent amp. As well I enjoyed the Soundclips of the Plexi channel on the BOgner website by that guy I cant remember his name but he is on top and has an album out which is being courted by TONEQUEST (ZZ TOps guitar players magazine) umm. {censored} forgot his name to, that is shameful! Oh yeah Derek Trucks of ZZ TOp! HEHEHE!

GREG V. is the guy (update!) on the Bogner website. A great player who uses a lot of vintage type amps and guitars on his record- spoken with him a few times. Nice guy to.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

I tried to PM you...oh well.

Sorry Dave, My PM Has been out of commission for a while now. I got to write to the board and complain about that one. When someone does try n PM me, an automatic Email comes and says "PM Box FUll but There is nothing in it? Wierd one! Ill have to rectal- fy that

• Members

Originally posted by Daneswede1

By the way, I have played extensively on a BOgner Ecstacy Classic but never the 101B? In your Opinion, Is there a huge differance or have you ever tried the Classic even?

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Classic. I'm happy with my 101B for what it's able to do. Well, I take that back. After this evening's jam with some friends, I think one could say that I'm ecstatic...:D

I have a Telefunken Ecc83 smooth plate in V1 and the rest of the preamp is 9th Gen. Chinese 12ax7a's. The power amp is loaded up with SED Winged =C= EL34's.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Classic. I'm happy with my 101B for what it's able to do. Well, I take that back. After this evening's jam with some friends, I think one could say that I'm ecstatic...
:D

I have a Telefunken Ecc83 smooth plate in V1 and the rest of the preamp is 9th Gen. Chinese 12ax7a's. The power amp is loaded up with SED Winged =C= EL34's.

Dale

SED Winged=C=EL34's. WHo tha, WHat tha, WHere tha, whats that? Red BUll Tubes ? :) GIves you wings .

• Members

The 12AX7WC came stock in my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, When I got my amp home I automaticly changed them to JJ ECC83S s I never gave those a shot!

The amp was sounding a little to dark with the JJ's in so for the hell of it I put the GT branded 12AX7WC back in..... Well what do you know these sound great in that amp!

I cranked the amp and they still sounded very nice, I think I will be stocking up on some of those!

Archived