Can you run a tube amp and a solid state amp together in stereo?

Megadeth7684

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Might be a dumb question, but I'm just curious. I just bought a Marshall Valvestate 8100, and was wondering if I would be able to run it in stereo with either my 5150 or Engl. Of course I'd have to buy a Radial Tonebone, but assuming I have one, is it possible?

Yes you can NO Problem. :)

• Members

originally posted by Tonemeister69

why not Blackmore + 5150 Mega?

I'm sure you've tried that right?

I actually haven't tried that yet, since I don't have a Radial Tonebone, I can't. I would love to run those amps in stereo, that would more than likely sound incredible. I was just wondering if there were any issues using a tube and SS amp in stereo.

• Members

You could buy a Morely AB box for about $45. Then you could run either the right amp, or the left amp, or both amps together.

Some people talk about ground hum issues. I haven't experienced any. (That doesn't mean that they're wrong. I just haven't experienced any).

Good luck!

• Members

i remember doing all sorts of weird things regarding running amps in stereo when i first learned how to do it.

like running my 5150 rather low, on the lead channel, in stereo with an old deluxe reverb.

hehe... that didn't sound that great, but the both those amps sounded amazing together when the 5150 with on the clean channel.

• Members

Is that one as good as the Radial Tonebone? I've been told the Tonebone is the only way to go.

I'm sorry. . .I've never played the Tonebone. I've had two Moreley's and still have one. I think they work great for as cheap as they are.

• Members

If you have a stereo cab, you can just set the cab to stereo with an amp plugged in to each input.

Use a Whirlwind or similar A/B/Y box to select amps.

You can not use Headbone with Solid State and Tube amps. THere is one specifically for each type. Plus, as I understand it, that unit just switches the heads and you can not run both at the same time.

Using the method I describe above, you would basically be using 2 speakers for each amp.

• Members

Might be a dumb question, but I'm just curious. I just bought a Marshall Valvestate 8100, and was wondering if I would be able to run it in stereo with either my 5150 or Engl. Of course I'd have to buy a Radial Tonebone, but assuming I have one, is it possible?

Show us how your mind works. Give us any possible thoughts or reasons why one wouldn't be able to run the two together.

• Members

originally posted by tlbonehead

Show us how your mind works. Give us any possible thoughts or reasons why one wouldn't be able to run the two together.

Wow, everytime someone has a question, you respond like a jackass know it all. I see it all the {censored}ing time. Not everyone knows everything about everything man. That's what the forum is for, asking questions and getting answers. That's how my mind works.

• Members

As soon as you have the two amps in stereo they will hum like mother{censored}ers...I HATE ground lift problems!!!! Happened to me today while recordign with a 5150 and powerball at the same time. Every time I have tried it with numerous amps and configs they hum.

• Members

No that wouldnt be hot idea, i tried running an avt50 combo with a DSL401 combo together with nearly the same settings, and it sounds like {censored}. the soild state would be way too compressed and the tube amp would competley overpower the soild state, making ur tone super compressed and {censored}ty and and wont add too much more volume to what the tube amp aready provides. just get a stack for more volume or aleast 2 of the same amps. However im planing on using a soild state and tuber in my rig, my tube for hi gain and soild state for cleans but never at the same time

Archived