Vox AC30 CC2 vs. Peavey Classic 30

shinobimilton

• Members

hey guys, i'm just about ready to get me a new amp... and i was just havin a little dilemma about it....

should i get the VOX AC30 re-issue or the PEAVEY CLASSIC 30?

both are great sounding tube amps that have enough wattage for gigging.... but, i just can't decide which one i should get!

can you guys help me out and throw me some of your highly valued opinions? thanks!

oh btw, how many pre-amp and power tube amps does the peavey and vox have? and which one would go better with pedals?

• Members

Originally posted by shinobimilton

i'm looking for an amp that has nice cleans, but not too clean... too clean a clean just dont work for me... and i also want the amp to go well with a sweet OD pedal, maybe like a liquid sunshine? and i would also crank the amp up for the sweet distortion...

Classic 30's are a good buy, well built and cheaper.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Resurrecting an old thread...

I've had two Peavey Classic 50's, neither one failed in the time I've owned them.

Got a Vox AC30 CC1, it was DOA. Tubes were glowing fine, fuses were fine, power light was glowing red, but standby light did not turn on when I flipped the standby switch. Did some research - turns out Vox amps are as reliable as the weather channel.

• Members

The classic 30 is a decent enough amp, but there's no way it's in the same tonal class as the AC30CC (not to mention versatility). If there was a choice regardless of cost (is there ever) then the vox would have it.

Both of them would go in my top 5 favorite amps, but they're just too different. I could have gotten either, but I got a Classic 30 head, because it was a better fit to I needed to use it for. I think they're equal.

If you're going to compare stock combos, the Classic 30 is always going to lose, because its speaker is a useless piece of crap that belongs in a cheap SS amp. You'd be an idiot to base it on that, though, because it's actually just as good of an amp as any other good amp you will find in the average big store.

• Members

Resurrecting an old thread...

I've had two Peavey Classic 50's, neither one failed in the time I've owned them.

Got a Vox AC30 CC1, it was DOA. Tubes were glowing fine, fuses were fine, power light was glowing red, but standby light did not turn on when I flipped the standby switch. Did some research - turns out Vox amps are as reliable as the weather channel.

Reading a bunch of bellyaching intarwebs posts does not count as research.

You have a blown rectifier tube. Replace your rectifier tube with a half-decent one, check to make sure it didn't take out any fuses when it blew, and you're good to go.

Sorted.

• Members

You have a blown rectifier tube. Replace your rectifier tube with a half-decent one, check to make sure it didn't take out any fuses when it blew, and you're good to go.

I did replace the rectifier tube (learned that from researching the bellyaching posts on the net) - it didn't help.

Checked the fuses, too.

Amp is going back. And I wanted it to work, too... :(

• Members

I did replace the rectifier tube (learned that from researching the bellyaching posts on the net) - it didn't help.

Checked the fuses, too.

Amp is going back. And I wanted it to work, too...
:(

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that the AC30 has an internal B+ fuse, which could be blown.

Tubes glowing simply means that the heater is working, not the B+.

• Members

Don't listen to those who gripe on the build quality of the AC30CCs. They had problems in the first year, but if you are buying new I wouldn't worry. I've had mine for 18 months and zero problems.

I haven't had much experience with the classic 30, but the tone you described: nice clean but not too clean, great with an OD pedal, describes the AC30 to the T.

My only complaint about my AC30 is the weight, which is unreasonable, and the fact that the tubes are a huge bitch to change.

• Members

My only complaint about my AC30 is the weight, which is
unreasonable
, and the fact that the tubes are a huge bitch to change.

How is the weight unreasonable? The trannies and choke in the AC30 are by no means small, and you've got a pair of 8-10 lb speakers strapped into the cab. Not a recipe for a lightweight amp by any stretch.

The tubes are a total bear to get to though, I agree with that.

• Members

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that the AC30 has an internal B+ fuse, which could be blown.

Tubes glowing simply means that the heater is working, not the B+.

Yes, there is a fuse on the board. The SECOND board. And yes, it is a bitch to get to :cry:

Archived