Do some of you guys ever get tired of chasing your tail?

shred-o-holic

• Members

Oh and you guys who say that it's not costing you money to switch amps all the time are either bull{censored}ting or you own a shipping company....not to mention the depreciation of most gear...even boutique stuff seems to lose resale sometimes even if it's minute.....it's more than likely costing you cash to switch most times...unless you're downgrading maybe....not a rant again......guilty as charged....;):p

• Members

Shred O,

I have been chasing a little bit lately, but my flagship amp has been my trusty 65 Fender Twin Reverb....for over 20 years now.

I've dabbled a little bit to keep the wear and tear on this granddaddy down a bit...

Mesa Boogie Studio .22 (TU BE's), Crate, Trace Elliot, Laney...

I am not quite willing to splash a bunch of cash for a "boutique" just yet.

Now what I have done is update/experiment with pre/amp effect units.

From the DOD Heavy Metal Pedal (:eek: ) to the RP2000, Rocktron Vudoo Valve and favoring now the Vox Tonelab SE for it's earthy, yet raucous tones.

Yes....I am a tweaker. The first step is admitting it.

But seriously, it's a lot of fun, and less expensive than the revolving door of high priced amps.

• Members

I don't consider myself a chaser....although I've been buying and unloading some stuff as of late...

I've had one of my two guitars for about 8 or so years...I had my previous amp for about three years...

I just happen to be gettin' a new new amp (cuz I got one in march..lol....but hey, the wife said I could..) in a copule weeks and I'm unloading my second guitar for another one that I think will suit me better...

I'm new to the whole selling of gear stuff, but I can tell ya that I'm sick of it already

I understand people wanna save some cash..but I'm a person who takes care of their {censored}...there's generally not much difference between my stuff and something's that's brand new cause I take such good care of it...what I think a fair price is and what people wanna give are oftentimes two different things...and it gets depressing...

• Members
Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Oh and you guys who say that it's not costing you money to switch amps all the time are either bull{censored}ting or you own a shipping company....not to mention the depreciation of most gear...even boutique stuff seems to lose resale sometimes even if it's minute.....it's more than likely costing you cash to switch most times...unless you're downgrading maybe....not a rant again......guilty as charged....
;):p

I work in a shipping office and i handle all the Fedex shipments. So....I've "forgot" to pay for a few eBay shipments. But hey, i'm underpaid anyway. LOL

• Members
Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Oh and you guys who say that it's not costing you money to switch amps all the time are either bull{censored}ting or you own a shipping company....not to mention the depreciation of most gear...even boutique stuff seems to lose resale sometimes even if it's minute.....it's more than likely costing you cash to switch most times...unless you're downgrading maybe....not a rant again......guilty as charged....
;):p

You're assuming you buy an amp at $X and sell it at $X and eat the shipping cost. The key is patience and waiting till you get lucky and get an amp below normal market value so when you sell it you can recover much of the shipping costs.

That being said, I still do lose some money on shipping 'cause I got no patience. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by exilea

I work in a shipping office and i handle all the Fedex shipments. So....I've "forgot" to pay for a few eBay shipments. But hey, i'm underpaid anyway. LOL

Your friggin' lucky! I got a 7 string BC Rich Warlock w/ case that I gotta mail off to Puerto Rico. I charged $48 for shipping, but this things so huge, I'm gonna HAVe to go FedEx or UPS....something tells me I'll be eating some shipping charges...box weighs close 20lbs, and its 48" long, 18" wide, and 7" deep. Am I screwed? Will the USPS mail this?

• Members
Originally posted by metalmonster069

Your friggin' lucky! I got a 7 string BC Rich Warlock w/ case that I gotta mail off to Puerto Rico. I charged $48 for shipping, but this things so huge, I'm gonna HAVe to go FedEx or UPS....something tells me I'll be eating some shipping charges...box weighs close 20lbs, and its 48" long, 18" wide, and 7" deep. Am I screwed? Will the USPS mail this?

Is that 7 string case as big as the bass cases BC Rich has? My bass player has a BC Rich and OMG I could sleep in that case...:eek:

• Members

I don't know if I've been chasing my tail so much as my tastes have actually changed. I remember when I used to turn amps up loud and feel quiet. I remember wanting a bass control that would go to 100 instead of just 10. Now I shoot for a mellow sound.

Switching up amps has helped me learn which amps do what and what to expect from certain companies. And NO, it hasn't cost me a dime. I've made a killing off of it. I just don't buy anything unless I get a good price. For a while I was sitting on like 11 all tube "vintage" amps...although some of those were real duds.

-Zach Omega

Archived