Calling Ralph, Danyeo, Kage, other Mark series users...Fuzz pedals???

mightyjoeyoungxnj

• Members

Hails fellow Mesa Mark series junkies. After my Fireball sells, I plan on picking up a Jimmie Vaughn strat for my Hendrix-esque tone needs. I'll be using it with my Mark III. I can't wait to see how it sounds on the clean channel when it breaks up. What I was wondering, have any of you guys used a fuzz pedal with your Mark IIIs or IVs?? If so how do they work out and which was your favorite?? I was intrigued by the Fulltone '69 and '70, but was wondering what you dudes thought. Thanks.

-Joe

• Members

The Maxon OD9 is a nice pedal. It's like an Ibanez Tube Screamer but it's true bypass, and more expensive. To me it sounds better than the Boss SD-1. The Crispy Cream treble booster is great for leads but i didn't like it for rhythm playing. Some pedals might work well on the clean on your mark III. STeve VHT has a cool pedal from MI Audio, Blues Boy i think it's called. That pedal smokes on the clean channel on most tube amps. Why are you selling the Fireball?

• Members

Cool, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm looking for a Fuzz pedal, not so much a boost or OD pedal, I don't think this amp needs it at all.

As for the Fireball. I wanted it badly a few weeks ago, so I splurged and bought it. I realized I can't afford 2 heads right now. I need a computer and plan to put some money towards that and some towards the Vaughn strat. I can always buy another Fireball, I love it to death, but keep digging my Mark III the more I play so that ain't going anywhere.

-Joe

• Members

Originally posted by SymenTimmermans

I tried the BOSS SD-1 with it and it got me too many highs, and it didn't really kick the amp like it does a marshall.

It's an overdrive however, I can't tell you about fuzzes.

Perhaps you won't even be needing a pedal. The Mark III is ungodly versatile.

I hear you. I own an SD-1 that I used to use with the Mark III. But I'm only really looking for a classic fuzz sound here, not partial breakup or OD, which the Mark III can do by itself without a problem. Thanks though.

-Joe

Archived