Do Pod XT Live's suck at live?

joeca0304

• Members

ya, im afraid of that. I'm trying to decide between a xt live or a mark 3. I know it sounds a little crazy in a way.

The xtl would be great because i record our demo stuff/whatever at home and have excellent quality. I could also jam at home volume with great quality. The only problem is the live playing, whether it can hold up it's recording quality in a live situation.

The mark3 is hands down an awesome amp, the problem with it is, i have no home recording ability, nor home jamming, i might as well just jam through amplitube or guitar suite in sonar. So I really would only get use out of it at band practice.

tough call....

• Members

given your situation, i would buy the PODxt Live. it's true that the recorded tone is way better than the live tone. but you can also make a PODxt sound very good live with a little bit of work. since you show a lot of interest in the recording thing, i'm sure you would be EXTREMELY satisfied with a PODxt.

• Members

It's just a hard call, we're only practicing once a week right now, so I'd never be using it. The mark 3 that is.

I'm leaning toward the pod, I mean i don't need 99% tube feel, I just need something that's going to sound better than the peavey ultra plus I'm using right now for live.

• Members

Originally posted by joeca0304

I'm talking about the amp models more so than effects here. Do they sound the same as the recording tone's you can get from them?

I'm interested in the opinions of the high gain amp model stuff.

Let me know, thanks.

I haven't had my XTL very long but I have had it in a live band situation and it works great. The tones we do are either super clean or super heavy. I ran mine through my amps power section.

I ran the Big Bottom model for 3 hours the other Saturday and had no complaints.

-SOMMS

• Members

I am looking for a tone obviously similar to the mark series, think oldschool anthrax, megadeth, metallica puppets/AJFA types. Just hope it can hold up in a live situation.

Well, buy the real thing then!

Reliability: 9.5/10

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Mesa_Boogie/Mark_III_Simul_Class_Head-1.html

My review:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1046398

• Members
Originally posted by pretaanluxis

hal, do you use the amp or line output setting?

I use the XTL in the Line setting with the output all the way up. In this config, I can run the Carvin DCM 150 almost all the way to the max setting without getting a clip indication.

• Members

hmm hows that carvin work for ya? I've herd alot about the Flat Response of a PA or Keyboard Amp.

Just curious how much of a difference it really makes.

Explain more about the 'feel' of the tone if you could please.

Thanks.

The Carvin DCM 150 ($200) works great and is way louder though my Avatar 2x12 (V30s) that I could ever realistically need. I can practice with my band running only mono 8 Ohms unbridged (50 W) and I have plenty of headroom left. As far as features that I like, it is only 9 lbs, no fan, single rack space, 1/4

• Members

I play a little electric guitar in a church worship band. Our drummer just bought an XT Live, and I used it once. We had about 5 minutes to set it up, and I just needed a decent clean and dirty sound. We went with one of the fender amps for the clean, and just put one of the stops in the XT in front of it for the dirty sound.

I thought it sounded pretty good. During the set, I was hearing ways to improve the sound, so I think with a good ammount of tweaking, it could sound really, really nice. It didn't sound as good as my Peavey Classic 30, but I'd be willing to bet it could get very close with a lot of tweaking. I'm a techie kind of guy, so I like the fine-tuning part. I'm guessing if you're used to a really nice amp and just plugging your guitar in and having great tone, the POD XT would be very frustrating.

I would think it would be better to tweak your live sounds through a live rig, rather than through headphones or something. Maybe have a bank of patches for recording, then a bank of patches for live use - rather than one bank used for both, if that makes sense.

I'm saving up for one now.

Archived