My friend wants to build me an amp, any advice?

Megadeth7684

• Members

I was talking to a friend of mine who's an electrical engineering major today and I jokingly told him he should build me an amp...to my surprise he was all for it. He's never built an amp before, but we found some schematics (Soldano SLO-100, some Gibson tube amp, a few others) and he said he could do it, but it will take him a while. He plays guitar, but doesn't know very much about amps and such, but he said one of his professors is always talking about tube amps, so we can get his help as well. I told him I would just want a brutal high gain amp with just 1 channel, no bells and whistles or anything like that, maybe just an effect loop, to keep it simple for him. If anyone could provide any tips or links to places that would be helpful to us I would appreciate it. Also, is it unrealistic for him to start off with something like a high gain metal amp, even though it would only be 1 channel? Again, any comments are welcome. He started doing some research and started getting real excited about this and obviously so am I! :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not doubting your friend's experience but I'm guessing he's never built any amps before. Because of that he should get his feet wet before diving into the deep end. There's a lot to learn specifically about amps even if you have a lot of experience in other areas of electronics (I know this firsthand), so it could be a real headache for him to make a properly working high gain amp right out of the gate. He might succeed, but the odds are generally not in his favor unless he has direct experience (or a lot of time and patience...and I do mean a lot). :)

AX84 is a cool place to go for this kind of thing. Good luck!

• Members

Definitely check out AX84, also The Tube Amp Book by Aspen Pittman. I think Amazon has it. I'm pretty sure myles here on HC has written some of the info in that book. Also, do a search for DIY on the amp forum.
High gain is difficult, and you may want to have him start with a smaller amp to practice. Once that amp is working well, he can learn to tweak the preamp for higher gain, and then learn to expand the power amp. That's my plan, anyways. I'm not quite sure how it will work, but it seems logical to me. I'm actually starting by getting an old amp working well, then modifying the preamp to learn how it works. Once I've got that down, I'll probably buy a kit, and then tweak that, and then start thinking about my own design.
J.

• Members

a word of advise, make sure you KNOW where to get certain key parts from...

take me for an example, i'm building the november amp off of ax84, and am having some major delay because i cant find the transformers and the relay that i need.

i can probably substitute any 5V relay for the meisei that it asks for, but its tough trying to find the trannies.

if you want a brutal high gain amp, schematicheaven has a 5150 schematic.

or you could look into some of the matchless schems, i hear a matchless get close to the badcat sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Thou it would be cool to dup a Powerball doesn't that thing look like a computer inside???? I do not think these guys will have the resourses for the PCB and no way could you do that amp PTP imo.

its no problem ifn you leave out all the stuff the topicstarter talked about, like channel switching, fx loops etc.

it would even be pretty easy to make a one channel high gainer like that, but you have to watch out for oscillations.

you could also think of a low power high gainer, like a powerball pre amp with a single ended class a power amp or something like that.

• Members

First time builder who doesn't know much about amps doing an SLO, Powerball, or other high-gainer: Swami sees the future...

"Here it is. I don't know why it hums so badly and don't turn the gain up past three or it'll scream like a banshee. Oh, and don't touch a microphone while you're playing or it'll shock the {censored} out of you."

(ie: bad idea, start simple)

Archived