peavey valveking clips (slayer, metallica, satriani...)

cobrahead1030

• Members

just because you asked :p

fairly simple setup here, i tried to record a few simple clips to give you guys a clear/honest listen to the amp...all recorded using my ltd ec300 (duncan jb and andseron h1), and a single sm-57

first we have slayer: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-slayermask.mp3

this is just the combo, 57 just off-center...this is the using the lead channel with the boost engaged; volume, gain, bass, mid, and treble are ALL set to noon exactly...the first guitar you hear coming in uses the hi gain input (left channel i believe) the 2nd guitar you'll hear is using the low gain input...resonance set to tight

then a little satch melody:

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-summersatch.mp3

same mic setup as the last clip...for this one i backed the treble off a bit, and upped the mids and gain some; using the hi gain input on this one...resonance set to loose

some old school metallica clean clippage: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-ktuluclean.mp3

same mic setup again on this one...using my neck pickup here...bright swetch engaged, bass @ noon, mids around 10:00, treble around 10:00, volume around 11:00, low gain input here...resonance set to loose, reverb around 9:30

and here's a bit of my own riffing: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-custombuilt.mp3

i ran the combo into my earcandy cab for this one, mic'd the governer just off-center...gain around noon, bass @ 9:30, mids @ noon, treble @ 11:00...low gain input, boost switch engaged...volume right around noon

any/all feedback is welcome ;)

i didn't get to spend as much time with the amp in the studio as i would've liked, but i think these clips do an ok job of representing it...the first 3 really let that open-back treble come thru, a lot moreso than you hear in the room with the amp (i've never really dug open backs, so i'm not particularly fond of how this one mics up...i can see a closed back ext. cab for this amp in the future)

i also have my mic and stuff here at home now...so i'll try to get a few more clips by the weekend :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by cobrahead1030

guessing there's something you didn't like about the clips?

probably my playing
:(

I thought the clean sounded decent. I can't really judge the other clips because I don't use that much gain. I'm more into the classic rock / hard vibe. People here should be grateful that you took the time to record and post clips for them.

• Members
Originally posted by thoughtless0ne

No the playing was fine...

Just seems a little buzzy, or fizzy or something...

To much gain? i dunno

I was expecting a classic 50 with a set of balls hanging off the front of the amp?

:confused:

i'm gonna experiment with some lower gain clips (which i wanted to do today, but just didn't have time) and some lower output PU's, and single coils to see how it reacts to those

some of what you hear is speaker breakup as well, so far i'm not too fond of this speaker...but once i break it in a little, i may change my mind

• Members

ok

It needs more bass

I think it needs a new speaker or cab

The playing was great

The only thing that I was expecting was fully processed clips and these are rough cuts

I like the way it sounds but I never judge an amp too much until in person.

Overall, it sounds great. Needs a little break in time and it should be awesome. People have to remeber, these are only 350$ and some of the guys on the effects forum spend that much on one pedal. so there.

• Members

it sounds kinda like i would expect it to through a SM57. my only real complaint with the way the clips sound like they could be due to a new speaker and an open back cab, namely the lack of punch,
and the extra bit of treble.

i'd imagine if you DID get an extention cab with something like a G12H30, it would sound much nicer.

• Members

Originally posted by GRIZ

Thanx for the clipos, i thought your own riffage clip sounds best, i like gain. Is that all the gain it has on that clip?

the gain is just past halfway on that clip, to really do high gain riffage like that very well i think the amp would need an eq in the loop

that clip was the only one of the 3 going into a seperate cab btw

• Members

Originally posted by thoughtless0ne

Hey cobra....

OT: but you still got the wah? and do you do Paypal?

still got the wah...the spring under the footboard has come loose tho, so it's not switching on/off seamlessly as it should...i'm certain it's just a matter of tightening it, but i've not gotten around to it...i wanna check that out before i sell it

and yes, i do take paypal

Archived