How to learn how to work on tube amps: The best book for learning?

Barnabyhuggins

• Members

Hello all,

I was just wondering what some opinions are on the best books for learning how to work on tube amps.

I am moderately electrically savvy (building pedals, modding pedals) but I am not yet able to work on tube amps myself. This, of course, would be nice because I wouldn't have to pay a tech everytime I needed maintenance/re-tubing.

Thanks.

• Members

Radiotron Designer's Handbook by Langford-Smith

You'll want edition 4, I thnk it goes used for about $75 on average, I'm not sure. I know it's very highly sought after, I found mine in a second hand book store.

Anyways, it's heavily based on technical and theory aspects of tubes. It's not exactly a light read, but if you need to know something, you can be guaranteed it will be in there if anywhere, it is probably one odf the, if not THE best tube book out there.

also, "The Ultimate Tone" by Kevin O'Connor is a very good book, I believe it's still in print, it's based solely around guitar tube amps, and is really very good, though a little technical knowledge is required to understand (which shouldn't be a problem for you).

There is another one, I have never read a copy, but it's supposed to be good, especially from the late 60searly 70s, it's called the ARRL Handbook. It's an amp construction and safety book I believe. Again, I've never read it, couldn't even tell you where to get it.

You may want to try Alibris.com, they have everything.

Now you may say that you only want to know how to do light maintenance on your amps, but honestly, if you're going to be doing anything that involves poking inside of a tube amp, I would STRONGLY suggest you learn it all, learn more than you need to, it is important, especially safety.

One of the best pieces of advice I can impart to you before you go sticking you nose into the back of a tube amp, wear tight clothing when you do, prefferably something like a light leather jacket, polyester isn't a good idea, if it catches a high charge it's liable to burnmelt the fabric onto you, which is never a good thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Rocksnob

Radiotron Designer's Handbook by Langford-Smith

You'll want edition 4, I thnk it goes used for about $75 on average, I'm not sure. I know it's very highly sought after, I found mine in a second hand book store.

Anyways, it's heavily based on technical and theory aspects of tubes. It's not exactly a light read, but if you need to know something, you can be guaranteed it will be in there if anywhere, it is probably one odf the, if not THE best tube book out there.

also,
"The Ultimate Tone" by Kevin O'Connor
is a very good book, I believe it's still in print, it's based solely around guitar tube amps, and is really very good, though a little technical knowledge is required to understand (which shouldn't be a problem for you).

There is another one, I have never read a copy, but it's supposed to be good, especially from the late 60searly 70s, it's called the ARRL Handbook. It's an amp construction and safety book I believe. Again, I've never read it, couldn't even tell you where to get it.

You may want to try Alibris.com, they have everything.

Now you may say that you only want to know how to do light maintenance on your amps, but honestly, if you're going to be doing anything that involves poking inside of a tube amp, I would STRONGLY suggest you learn it all, learn more than you need to, it is important, especially safety.

One of the best pieces of advice I can impart to you before you go sticking you nose into the back of a tube amp, wear tight clothing when you do, prefferably something like a light leather jacket, polyester isn't a good idea, if it catches a high charge it's liable to burnmelt the fabric onto you, which is never a good thing.

Those are all great books but in no way should be considered newbee material.

Gerald Weber's "Desktop Guide to Hip Vintage Guitar Amps" and "The Tube Amp Book" are much better starting points. Mitchell's book listed above is also very good. Check on www.fenderforum.com Someone there has a web link to this book.

I recommend buying several of these as none is completely comprehensive though there is overlap.

None of these will teach you everything you need to know for every type of repair. A basic (or not) course or courses in electricity and electronics is highly recommended.

REAL techs (not just part swappers, anyone can do that) have a wide base of technical background and experience.

• Members

Lots of good material on the web as well....

http://aikenamps.com/ (See Tech Info)

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/J_Darr.htm

http://www.drifteramps.com/safety.html

http://195.178.239.50/ax84/media/ax84_m35.pdf

All this stuff will be easier to digest if you've got some electronics theory under your belt: http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~elec201/Book/basic_elec.html

I've found answers to many questions (often without having to ask) by browsing the user forums at www.ax84.com.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by El Glom-o

An excellent book by Jack Darr can be found in .pdf form at this site:

What makes it particularly good is that it was written about vintage amps when they were just amps.

Dude Seriously !!!

I wanted to read this book for several years now - (every

now&then checking alibris / amazon / ebay etc. w/ no luck)

and Now Thanx to You I own my own copy !!!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You & Thank You !!!!!!

Luker-X

Archived