Marshall AVT - Worth It??

guitarking@cns

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a 2*12 combo but don't really know what to get. I play a PRS Santana SE through a Marshall MG15DFX and need a more powerfull amp for home practice, band practice and small gigs (thinking into the future).

I've heard both good things and bad things about the AVT series, so i'm unsure about sticking with Marshall or trying out another maufacturer.

I need an amp with a versitile range of tones as i don't really know my playing style yet (although i think Led Zeppelin are amazing ;) ). I have around

• Members

Originally posted by metalpoida

AVT = poop

+1

I never liked the AVT series

The JCM2000 range has some versatile amps or some other suggestions that will come in.

I think it would be good to save up now & get something you'll enjoy for years to come - rather than get something cheap right now that you will have to upgrade later.

• Members

the avts are overpriced amps that sound like their worth at most a third of their price. the clean is quiet and doesn't have much headroom (when trying to gig) the distortion is alright but is flubby and muddy in the low end. the marshall logo is nice, but is it worth 2 or 3 hundred extra dollars?

• Members

i've owned the avt50 and avt150 heads years ago. if your hell bent on going valvestate 2000 series, don't spend the extra $$$ for models with the built in fx (they are complete crap). the avt50 is ok, but the whole avt series is compiled of very mediocre amps.

probably not just me, but if you like the marshalls, save some cash and get a used 8100 or vs100. those are just as good if not quite a bit better all-around amps than the new avts, for less loot.

• Members

I have an AVT 20. It is allright for home practice. But nothing past that. I would not get anything in there line. I bought this amp when I was a year into playing the guitar, and dont regret it as I have moved on to better things (Deluxe Reverb), but I would not have made the same decision again. My friend had an AVT 50, it was pretty much the same but louder.

• Members

Here's a tip - do NOT get an AVT series amp. I had the misfortune of using one in a rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. It was the AVT-150 head with a 4x12 cab. It was loaded with features, FX, bells, whistles e.t.c. but sadly, it did not cut the mustard. It seriously, seriously lacked volume and power. I had it cranked on FULL and it still couldn't be heard above the drummer at all. Ridiculous.

As much as it is tempting to get hold of something versatile with FX e.t.c., with the budget you have listed, you could get hold of something pretty decent that would be home-useable and, once you get to that stage, giggable. For that money (or even less), you could get a second-hand Marshall VS8100 head and 4x12. It doesn't have all the FX but you can pick those up later. My advice though, is get a second-hand Marshall DSL-50 or TSL-60 and a cab. You could probably get this whole set-up for

• Members

No, Theres not enough power behind it, too mushy of bottom end, odd mid-range sound. These amps are seriously overpriced, the older VS series is a much better choice, they even are more reliable. Every AVT i've known of (~10) has crapped out in one way or another.

Get a used tube amp ( or just a better solid state) for less money.

• Members

I used to have an AVT150 head, and while I liked it at the time, when I developed better taste in tone I got rid of it immediately. Stay away! Now I can hardly stand to listen to the tones on the CD I recorded with it.

If I were in the UK I'd say you should buy my TSL601, as nobody seems to be bidding on it on eBay at the moment. :(

• Members

also...if you're really wanting to think into the future here, save up and buy the best sounding amp you can find, one that really blows you away

save yourself the time/money and don't bother getting so-so amps settling for less, that you'll have to upgrade

if you can get by with your current rig for now, save up for a jcm2000 combo, or check out the engl line even

• Members

I Like the AVT's I think they cut through great, and are very versatile for classic rock, old school metal. if your lookin for something modern, Hardcore sounding its not gonna cut it. but for all other purposes its pretty cool. I've played the AVT 50 countless times in a band.

• Members

Originally posted by mr.pings

I Like the AVT's I think they cut through great, and are very versatile for classic rock, old school metal. if your lookin for something modern, Hardcore sounding its not gonna cut it. but for all other purposes its pretty cool. I've played the AVT 50 countless times in a band.

Oh, I played loads of shows with mine and got serviceable tone. However, one day I was playing an outdoor gig with really shady electricity, and I turned the master up to 8 or so and the amp blew up after about two and a half songs. I finished the show on a borrowed silverface Bassman, and at that moment I knew I wasn't going back to solid state.

Originally posted by jgk62

I use an AVT50 head into a 1960 4X12 cabinet and it sounds great. Very different than my DSL100 but still some great usable sounds.

I think the negative reviews are for the combos, or the heads going into the AVT cabinets.

I had the 150 watt head (well, actually 75 if going into 8 ohms) and I ran it into a Peavey vertical 2x12. Like I said, it's not terrible, but I could have saved some money if I had just gone ahead and gone to a quality tube amp in the first place.

• Members

I say if you are budget minded the AVT 50 is quite nice. The prices have dropped on the whole line here in Canada as I figure Marshall is probably getting ready to phase them out. Looking at the asking price of the AVT 50 combo two moths ago ($725) I would say no it's not worth that kind of coin. However they are selling new for anywhere from $500-$580 Canadian these days and I definetely think it's worth it at that price. No CRATE, Peavey or Fender I've heard or played in that price range sounds as good. Though I've not heard the Valve King. I'm just not a fan of Peavey amps so I doubt it'd be my cup of tea anyway.

I would say try out an AVT 50 as they seem to be the best in the line. The 100 and 150 have a different voicing and it's not as good. Plus as others have said on board FX always tend to suck.

As for it not being loud or cutting through...I can't even imagine the volume with which the band would have to be rehearsing at for this amp to be burried. Gigging? Small to medium it's fine anything large and you mic it anyway.

I'm quite pleased with mine. It's not the last amp I'll ever own but I doubt I'll sell it either.

As always try it before you buy it. No one elses ears can tell you if you'll like it or not.

• Members

A couple of points about the AVTs. While they're pretty heavily slated in these forums, they've had decent reviews elsewhere - the cabs however are pretty much universally considered to be poor. I have a 1960BX cab and I'm seriously considering an AVT50 head.

Secondly, Marshall are going to re-launch the AVTs this month. The new AVTs are likely to be pretty much the same inside, and just look different. It became very difficult to buy an AVT in the UK over the last week (I don't know about America) as Marshall have officially discontinued the range. Since the new range are likely to be pretty similar it may be worth trying to grab one now as the re-release will probably come with a price hike. However, it might also mean a lot of second hand AVTs entering the market, so you might be better off waiting. It is also possible that the new AVTs will actually sound better.

Archived