OT: Anybody try and quit smoking by switching to chew

Rocky101

• Members

I need to quit smoking I am up to about a pack a day. I quit smoking about 10 years ago and was smoke free for about 2 years. I used to chew tobacco also, Skoal, Kodiak, Copenhagen, Gold River, Hawken, even pouch chew Red Man, Beechnut, Levi Garrett, and Lancaster(the very best). Yeah I chewed everything. I found that chew was much easier to quit. I think I am going to chew for a few months to get off smoking. My lady friend doesn't care as long as I don't spit on her:D and brush my teeth before I kiss her, no biggie. Anyone ever try this approach?

• Members

Your not quitting.You know that right?
Nicotine is nicotine.
It's like saying "I only smoke Heroin now, I don't shoot it anymore".

Same Drug. Different delivery system.

I quite 1 1/2 years ago. Cold turkey. 2 packs a day, 20 years. No urges. Only way to go. Patches are the same bull{censored}. Do it. Or dont.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

No, but I know someone who quit cocaine by switching to alcohol.

Good for them, but both of those drugs still make people talk excessively about stupid {censored} that doesn't even matter for hours but drunks usually pass out:D

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

Your not quitting.You know that right?

Nicotine is nicotine.

It's like saying "I only smoke Heroin now, I don't shoot it anymore".

Same Drug. Different delivery system.

I quite 1 1/2 years ago. Cold turkey. 2 oacks a day, 20 years. No urges. Only way to go. Patches are the same bull{censored}. Do it. Or dont.

Good luck.

I know, I am just saying that chew was way easier to quit. Part of this reasoning is that I am an athlete, and even though I smoke I am still in great shape and don't want that to decline.

• Members

Originally posted by Rocky101

I know, I am just saying that chew was way easier to quit. Part of this reasoning is that I am an athlete, and even though I smoke I am still in great shape and don't want that to decline.

If you are an athlete you need to give all that {censored} up. Its hard on your body.

• Members

So am I. (20-25 miles a week-runner)

I don't think you read my original post corectly. YOUR NOT QUITTING BY CHEWING NICOTINE. When you get mouth-throat cancer, it will be fun. Not as fun as Enphesyma and lung cancer, but I'm sure it's a good time as well.

Your still an addict.
a Healthy, (albeit in denial) Addict.

Again good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

So am I. (20-25 miles a week-runner)

I don't think you read my original post corectly. YOUR NOT QUITTING BY CHEWING NICOTINE. When you get mouth-throat cancer, it will be fun. Not as fun as Enphesyma and lung cancer, but I'm sure it's a good time as well.

Your still an addict.

a Healthy, (albeit in denial) Addict.

Again good luck.

I read you post correctly, I know that it is still nicotine. My plan was to quit smoking and start chew. Then when I am not thinking about cigs anymore I will quit chew cold turkey. When I was 16-19 years old all I did was chew(about 3 cans a week) and quit very easily. When I was about 22 I started smoking again because of some stress I was going though. I know what your saying they are both nicotine, I know I am not quitting, I am just transitioning to something that is easier to quit.

• Members

QUIT!! Think of the $ you could put to better things like gasoline!

I did Skoal on and off for years. Every time I'd dip all I could think of was getting cancer. But it's always easy to put quitting off until tomorrow. Next thing you know you'll get positive cancer results and then you'll wish you would have quit years ago.

It really isn't hard to quit. I did it numerous times, though after a while I'd feel in control and award myself with guess what??? I found there were windows in time that I was "ready" to quit and others where I was not. Just make a promise to you or girl and stick with it.

You know the only time I think differently.....after drinking. That's the most dangerous time to "cheat."

Now if I could only convince my childhood friend to shake it..

• Members

Chew is actually harder to quit and makes getting cancer a whole hell of a lot easier. The nicotine content in chew is much higher than cigs, because you're burning off the nicotine. Do yourself a favor and get the patch and give it the ol' college try.

PS my friend quit smoking cigs by smoking pot, then quit smoking pot with no side effects...

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

This is priceless.

Hey! I meant for long periods (weeks or months). I have pulled through the nicotine addition many times, to the point where having more was a mental decision, not a physical one. A "dumb" mental one?? Yes, but I never let myself fall into what I consider habitual, where I could't quit on a whim.

Archived