krank vs genz benz

corprus

• Members

Hi I was just wondering if you could help me make up my mind I am buying a new amp and have got it down to two the Genz Benz el Diablo and the krank krankenstine they are both similar type of heads all tube. i play in a band which play metal such as emperor Dragonforce and Pantera so I need an amp to do a wide variation of different metal sounds any ideas

• Members

Originally posted by corprus

Hi I was just wondering if you could help me make up my mind I am buying a new amp and have got it down to two the Genz Benz el Diablo and the krank krankenstine they are both similar type of heads all tube. i play in a band which play metal such as emperor Dragonforce and Pantera so I need an amp to do a wide variation of different metal sounds any ideas

for Pantera you can't go wrong with a Randall Warhead.

i believe the Krank would be more fitting for Damageplan.

i have not heard a lot of reviews on the El Diablo.

m/

• Members
Originally posted by dv85150fan

I gotta disagree with you there. I spent about an hour with a Warhead trying to dial in a good tone and just couldn't. I heard the X2 was much better but who knows.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

I gotta disagree with you there. I spent about an hour with a Warhead trying to dial in a good tone and just couldn't. I heard the X2 was much better but who knows.

well you know that Dime's tone is always in question here on this forum.;):p:D

i did hear a X2 clip on here awhile ago and it was pretty Brutal!

m/

• Members

well you know that Dime's tone is always in question here on this forum.
;):p:D

i did hear a X2 clip on here awhile ago and it was pretty Brutal!

m/

Well that's just the thing, I am one of the cats that dug Dime's tone but I couldn't for the life of me get anything that resembled it out of those heads. Maybe with the right cab or something but I tried it through the Krank 4x12 which is a nice cab and it sounded terrible.

• Members

Well that's just the thing, I am one of the cats that dug Dime's tone but I couldn't for the life of me get anything that resembled it out of those heads. Maybe with the right cab or something but I tried it through the Krank 4x12 which is a nice cab and it sounded terrible.

+1

i wish you had got to try it with the Warhead cab.

i also am a fan of Pantera's tone...kinda that KEA feel IMO.

m/

• Members

very true, I actually don't really care for any of the Peavey cabs matched with their heads but that's just me, some guys love em'.

i do like my matching cab, but would love to try your cab,Randall XL,Titan, and Marshall with my 5150II head in the future.:)

m/

• Members

i do like my matching cab, but would love to try your cab,Randall XL,Titan, and Marshall with my 5150II head in the future.
:)

m/

My ex-guitarist has a Marshall with his and it sounds Great! He just blew a speaker though :(

• Members

If you want Pantera....

Randall RG100ES
Randall RG100HT
Randall C-200
Randall Warhead

If you want Damageplan:

Randall X2

Dime Never Used the Kranknstein....He used a Modded Revoultion Series 1:Live. But He recorded New Found Power With The X2 and an Isocab.

The Old RG series are more to the "Dime" sound than the new RH series stuff....Not as "dark" sounding. Great, Great Stuff and can be found dirt cheap. For what it's worth, If thats the tone your after, for what you'd pay for the Genz, or Krank, you could build a couple of full rigs of the older Randall rigs....The sound great and are "bulletproof"I've had probably 10 different Randall RG series amps and a c-200 and have NEVER had a problem, nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend them.

• Members

I own the Diablo and G-Flex 4x12 and I just demo'd a Krankenstein. The Krank is heavy but it was so sensitive to minor adjustments that it bothered me. It had a screaming high gain with killer lead tone and a nice clean but it didn't do anything in between. I love my Diablo and think it's looked over far too often in favor of Mesa's because people don't want something nobody's heard of. I bought my Diablo in January of '04 right when they were coming out and haven't looked back since. I prefer mine with 6L6's though but the tone isn't that much different form the EL34's really. It's already voiced toward a tighter sound to begin with.

The Diablo is probably the most versitily and easy to setup head under $2k.

• Members

Get one of those Randall heads listed. Buy 2 EQ pedals, Danelectro makes cheap ones, get mxr if you want something more sturdy. Put one in front of the amp and set for a good mid boost to kick up the amps gain. Set the second EQ in the loop for more of a scooped sound, and there it is!

I'm sure with this setup you could get Pantera sounds. I've tried it a few times before and it got really heavy%:)

• Members

i believe the Krank would be more fitting for Damageplan.

i have not heard a lot of reviews on the El Diablo.

m/

I don't think it would as the Damage Plan cd has the Randall Warhead X2 on it and even though they designed the Stein for Dimebag IMO it sound's like nothing he has recorded in the past(Plugged straight in that is). I like the X2 better than both especially with a BBE through the loop! If you are sticking with the 2 amp';s you mentioned than I would get the Stein for sure.

Derek

• Members
Originally posted by DerekB

I don't think it would as the Damage Plan cd has the Randall Warhead X2 on it and even though they designed the Stein for Dimebag IMO it sound's like nothing he has recorded in the past(Plugged straight in that is). I like the X2 better than both especially with a BBE through the loop! If you are sticking with the 2 amp';s you mentioned than I would get the Stein for sure.

Derek

i wish we could hear that X2 clip again... i liked it alot.:)

m/

• Members

Originally posted by CTBMETAL

dime ran a furman parametric eq, amongst other things right along with his rh100 or whatever amp he used. the sound he was getting wasnt purely randall. but {censored}, randall had to be reaping the benefits for the longest time. still is proably

Furman PQ3/PQ4....cant remember which.

Randall RG100HT (RG100ES)

MXR 6 Band EQ (LOOP)

MXR Doubler/Flanger

Thats the basics.....

• Members

Guys,

Saw this thread and thought I would chime in.

Fortunately I was lucky enough to work hand in hand with Dime over the last 5 years of his tragically shortened life, in which we developed the X2 together. I truly regret the way things ended with our long Randall partnership, I guess business has a way of changing or screwing up relationships sometimes.

Never the less, I can tell our we are not changing our direction or trying to copy other tones on the market. Dime's tone is really what keep Randall alive and going through some pretty misguided years, and it was him again that allowed us to get back on track over the past 4-5 years. So, it's my responsibility to make sure any new Randall amp has that signature tone in there. A couple of new ones coming this fall definitely make me proud.

To keep with the topic though, I've not personally played the Krankenstein and I would not publically bash other amp makers, but knowing Dime I'm sure he was proud of his new amp.

Long live the KING!!
RD/MAN

Archived