Trading Safely Over HC

godofmetalguita

• Members

I'm doing my first gear trade over e-bay, and neither of us have any references. (i have one on hc but cant remember the name) but how do you go about this?

On my end there is money and an amp, on his end there's just a guitar.

His feedback on ebay is very old (cant even look at the auctions) and has 7 or so positives and one negative.

I want to trust him that i can send the amp and money and he'll send the guitar, but thats kinda shady to me.

I have 40 positives i think and no negatives on e-bay.

I was thinking this:

I send him the money through paypal, that way he has my info, and i have his. Then he sends the guitar and when i get the guitar i send him the amp.

Is this fair? How is it usually done?

• Members

? Your thread says trading on HC, but yet you're asking about an ebay trade? All I know is, I've seen hundreds of horror stories about ebay ripoffs, but maybe only one or two about HC ripoffs. That should tell you something. BTW, I've never and will never use ebay, and have sold lots of pedals and even an amp on the forums with no problems. Have done trades as well and everything went smoothly.

• Members

I've done a few of these and here is what we've done.

1) provided references of some sort of people (not friends) who have either bought or sold gear to us previously

2 ) agree on a day to do the transaction, how gear will be packed, etc.

Since one of you is giving money, you should do it through a money order or non-cash means

3) agree to swap UPS tracking numbers as of a certain time and day.

4) talk on the phone to go over all the details and to get a sense of each other's intentions. Also gives you a way to contact each other if something changes or goes wrong

5) execute as you planned

Then you should be able to confirm that the packages are on the way.

• Members
Originally posted by godofmetalguita

I'm doing my first gear trade over e-bay, and neither of us have any references. (i have one on hc but cant remember the name) but how do you go about this?

His feedback on ebay is very old (cant even look at the auctions) and has 7 or so positives and one negative.

I want to trust him that i can send the amp and money and he'll send the guitar, but thats kinda shady to me.

I was thinking this:

I send him the money through paypal, that way he has my info, and i have his. Then he sends the guitar and when i get the guitar i send him the amp.

What if he doesnt' trust you?

• Members
Originally posted by godofmetalguita

I was thinking this:

Well, if he agrees to that - at least you know he is an idiot ;)

Seriously, this isnt gonna work and if you are serious about a deal where you are both protected it would go like this....

One person pays an agreed amount via paypal or MO.....the other person ships the item....then you reverse the transaction (pay then send gear) as agreed to complete it....

But see even then its still an honor system - cuz one could take money and never ship.....So, either you get enough info to trust the guy or move on.....

• Members

Two cars pull into an abandoned warehouse on the waterfront at midnight. Each guy packs a posse with heavy artilery.

Trunks are opened...merchandise examined...one posse member from each side takes the gear out and puts it in the others trunk while onlookers take aim at each other with weaponry.

Trunks loaded and locked.

Members from each team cautiously retreat to the vehicles and speed off in opposite directions.

Rock out with new gear...simple as that:D

• Members

ok, how about this we pick a day we both send our stuff on that day UPS insured and then when we both recieve our stuff you send the extra $100 via cashiers check / money order.

i like this plan. let me see if i want to go pick it up first and do something in iowa, but otherwise this will work the best.

Archived