Bogner Shiva or XTC 101B?

wengnutt

• Members

Okay, Im thinking of trading my Shiva EL-34 for a 101B as I think the XTC will fit my style better. Would the XTC still be able to pull off a similar Shiva OD channel type drive? I know I'll be sacraficing the clean channel, but Im mainly looking for more versatility in overdrive sounds. My playing is more towards hard rock/metal(a la Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell) What do you guys think?

• Members

Awesome! :D

I love the Shiva. The clean is great and the overdrive is killer, but I just need more overdrive options. I need an amp that can do a decent clean, good overdrive, and searing overdrive. If the 101B can pull it off, then Im going for it. :)

• Members

its not really a saturated type distortion like the super high gain heads. think it doesn't have a super bottom end either. the gain never gets fizzy even up all the way. its kind of a woody midrange chunk good enough for all metal up to the numetal. it doesn't handle anything below D tuning without an eq.

then thats where the uberschall steps in...

• Members

All opinion here, but I had the Shiva and currently own the Ecstasy 101A and Uberschall.

The clean on the Shiva was the best of them all, but (again IMO) the overdrive was not for me...I wish it had just a BIT more boost! The XTC has alot of gain, especially apparent with some volume, and like everyone has said, is more smooth and refined than the Shiva. The clean isn't so bad at all, and the wolf in sheep's clothing is the blue channel which kicks all sorts of ass at high volumes.

I've used the XTC in a cover band to play stuff like AIC, Pearl Jam, Disturbed and SOAD...based on what you've said I would say go for the XTC. Its more expensive than the Shiva, but you know that.

It all comes down to your preference though, there seems to be a ton of people who would choose the Shiva over the XTC, so go figure!

• Members

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yea, I think Im going to trade for the 101B. The sound that Im kinda looking is similar to Alice in Chains "Facelift" album, with a little bit of "Degradation Trip" thrown in (yea, I love Cantrell's tone) :D The Shiva is still by far a kick ass amp. Im sure eventually, I'll buy another one.

• Members

I don't own either but when I auditioned them I thought the Shiva was the best Bogner by a mile. The XTC sounded good but it didn't blow me away like the Shiva did. I agree that I wish the Shiva had a little more gain on tap for the lead channel but the lead tone and clean tone are some of the best I have ever heard.

Archived