My Peavey Classic 30 Is Dead!

die kthxbai

• Members

I was playing my peavey today at a very high volume (12 out of a possible 12) on the clean channel, because of course that's where the best tone is. That and with that tone I like to play some MC5 which is in essence, loud.

Anywhom, I'm playing and I figure that my speaker cone tore, because at the slightest pluck (even while palm muted) I got a really intense fuzzing sound.

So I turn it up to it's regular volume, and play for about 15 seconds until it goes completely dead.

I look at my tubes and all of them are red hot (which is what they're supposed to be), but no sound is being produced.

I have no idea. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by die kthxbai

I look at my tubes and all of them are red hot (which is what they're supposed to be), but no sound is being produced.

1) Tubes will light up even (for the most part) if they've catastrophically failed. The heater filament is what makes the typical "tube glow". The filament seldom opens. It's not a light bulb.

2) If the tubes' plates were glowing, that is actually what's called a "bad thing".

3) You're going to want to check the fuses (and not just by looking at them), and then replace the tubes if that's not the problem.

Beyond that, who knows.

• Members

I was playing my peavey today at a very high volume (12 out of a possible 12) on the clean channel, because of course that's where the best tone is. That and with that tone I like to play some MC5 which is in essence, loud.

Anywhom, I'm playing and I figure that my speaker cone tore, because at the slightest pluck (even while palm muted) I got a really intense fuzzing sound.

Never assume it's the speaker. Where it could be more likely it's a tube or a connection broken from vibration/cold solder joint.

Start by reseating all the tubes. After that try another speaker, anything you have laying around as a test. If these both fail you'll need a tech.

• Members

So I turn it up to it's regular volume, and play for about 15 seconds until it goes completely dead.

I have no idea.
:confused:

Well,you could have tried a couple of simple trouble-shooting basics before throwing up your hands. Plug it into another speaker to see if the internal speaker is dead. If not,check the tubes. You realize that preamp tubes actually have two circuits in them,right. One could be dead and the tube will still light up.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

One could be dead and the tube will still light up.

All of the tubes could be dead and they would all probably still light up. :) I have no idea where people got the idea that tubes are like light bulbs, that if the filament hasn't disintegrated that the rest of the tube elements haven't shorted or disintegrated...

• Members

i had a similar problem couple of months ago, but not from playing too loud, i only play at 5 max. :(

mine was playing, and after some time it decided to fade out the sound, and after that is was completly dead. no sound no hiss no nothing...

the speaker could be dead, you can check the speacker with a 9Volt battery, unplug the amp, unplug the speaker, put to cable on the battery and touch the cable ends with the speaker, if the speaker pops, it does basically work and should make some sound, therefore your main problem is somewhere else...

checking all tubes, by exchanging them with new ones, preamp tubes can be changed one by one, replace the first, turn amp on, if it works, you found the one, if not, change the next one.

power tubes can go the same way, but the are really hot and either you wait until the cool down so you cqan touch them (i recommend) or you have gloves.

damn, the peavey classic 30 is a really service infriendly amp :(

to check the fuses you have to open the amp, and take the control panel out, it's really annoying to do :( there are three fuses, 2 easily to find, one is looking to the back of the amp, in the left corner.. i searched for 15 minutes to find it there.

check if the fuses are blown, if then exchange them with the exact same value and nothing else

the c30 consists of 3 PCB's, and the are connected with jumper wire, the jumper wire can break, and stop the amp work, search for broken jumper wires, this is really annoying cause you need to remove all the knobs wires and cables connected, to have access to all the jumpers, do not do it if you are not sure what you doing, and handle with care, i did a try but i refused to do it completly cause it was pain in the ass

i brought my amp after checking speaker, fuses, tubes and some jumpers to a tech. he found the problem very easily, it was a power resistor which was blown, a power resistor is one of the big resistors, and if they are blown, you should see it normaly, but i haven't seen it when i checked the PCB. cause the amp is sooo service unfriendly the tech needed really a long time to unscrew it and built it together again, the problem was fixed easily, but he worked 2 hours on the amp, so the repair costed me 150euro, 3euro for the part the rest for the work.

cause i had unscrewed the amp completly by myself, i know what the tech was trying to tell me, cause i think he expected me not believing him :)

my lessons learned, to take more care about my amp, and getting earlier mad if someone tries to touch it during playing (that was the reason of the breakage, dumb girl), and if the amp breaks again, i will do a better research to save me some money, cause i think i should have found this problem by myself

• Members

I've experienced broken tubes before, I replaced my set in febuary, so I know they're not broken.

I was playing it at 12 for the breakup, I like that tone.

And only my pre-amp (power?) Tubes were lit.

If I played shows would that make any difference? I've had this amp for 2 years in january, and I was in a band for about 5 months over the summer that ran the raliegh/winston salem bar circuit, and I always had it on max volume then.

I turned the reverb up and dropped it on the ground from about half an inch, and the usual crash wasn't audible.

I've got a faint humming sound coming from it, but not like the sound of when you turn the pre-amp up and don't play.

I re-seated my tubes, nothing.

And when i turn the pre-amp up all the way and the post on about 2, it still won't buzz.

• Members

I've experienced broken tubes before, I replaced my set in febuary, so I know they're not broken.

I was playing it at 12 for the breakup, I like that tone.

And only my pre-amp (power?) Tubes were lit.

If I played shows would that make any difference? I've had this amp for 2 years in january, and I was in a band for about 5 months over the summer that ran the raliegh/winston salem bar circuit, and I always had it on max volume then.

I turned the reverb up and dropped it on the ground from about half an inch, and the usual crash wasn't audible.

I've got a faint humming sound coming from it, but not like the sound of when you turn the pre-amp up and don't play.

I re-seated my tubes, nothing.

And when i turn the pre-amp up all the way and the post on about 2, it still won't buzz.

you "know" they're not broken how? because you looked at them and they don't look broken?

get new tubes. EL84s are cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

you "know" they're not broken how? because you looked at them and they don't look broken?

Exactly. Dude be reasonable. I mean he took the trouble to look at the tubes--he must know if they're working or not (despite what a number of us have told him).

• Members

Because my last set of tubes broke and I had them replaced and talked to the owner/amp guy of the shop and we talked about diagnosis and such?

Why are you all being a bunch of asses? Seriously?

I'm going to take it into a macfadyen music soon.

• Members

Because my last set of tubes broke and I had them replaced and talked to the owner/amp guy of the shop and we talked about diagnosis and such?

Why are you all being a bunch of asses? Seriously?

I'm going to take it into a macfadyen music soon.

The truth is that you have no idea if your tubes are good or not. That's the problem. Plus you haven't really done much troubleshooting,have you?

• Members

If your pres are lit and power tubes not, I can almost gurantee it is one of those tiny jumper wires that hold the circuit board together. I have been battling the same problem with my c 30 and have soldered it about 4 times and it keeps rattling loose and does the same thing again. By playing your amp at 12 I am sure the jumper wire broke loose from the rattling of the amp. I think my happened because I play it on top of a 2x12 and between the two cabinets it rattles quite a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

1st off why were you playing it at 12?

The max volume of the amp is about 6 or 7 as I remember. The only thing you get from 7 to 12 is a little more breakup.

Anyway I think you either blew your speaker and/or your output transformer.

shhh...

stop talking now.

Archived