Jump to content

JENSEN C12R vs C12Q


mooseeka

Recommended Posts

  • Members

 

Originally posted by doggage5050

i had the C12Q in a classic 30. it is not loud at all and very trebly with almost no bass response. cleans are ok, but in a band mix i sounded like a weedy mosquito. i don't like that speaker.

 

 

WOW!! so the C12R must be even worse since it has even a smaller magnet!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I got a VibroKing recently with 3 Jensen P10R's and I have to say the speaker breakup is so early with these that they are unusable, IMHO. I put 2 Ragin Cajun's in and I am waiting on a Weber Blue for the top position of the 3 speakers because a wide, ceramic magnet bumps into a transformer in the head.

 

The one P10R that is still in there- I'm pretty sure its blown now although I haven't used any boost pedals, just guitar/cable/amp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by m d

I got a VibroKing recently with 3 Jensen P10R's and I have to say the speaker breakup is so early with these that they are unusable, IMHO. I put 2 Ragin Cajun's in and I am waiting on a Weber Blue for the top position of the 3 speakers because a wide, ceramic magnet bumps into a transformer in the head.


The one P10R that is still in there- I'm pretty sure its blown now although I haven't used any boost pedals, just guitar/cable/amp.

 

 

I think I'd be cool with that, since I want to get an early speaker breakup, cause my amp is not too high on gain!! how is the bass response?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I most first state the caveat that I don't use the imported Jensen RI's, my experience is either with real vintage Jensens and great Weber clones.

 

The R's will give early break up, and be very raw and rauchy. I prefer them with an AlNiCo magnet (P??R) that refines the speaker breakup with some compression and smoothness that adds a lot of sweetness. The Ceramic magnet makes me think it built be a little harsh when pushed (heck, i don't even think Jensen made a Ceramic R in the old days). The R's are greta for that old raunghy blues tone and rockabilly tone, I would not pair them with a higher-gain break-amp, you'll less too much definition.

 

The Q's are bright, with less low end. That's the way they are voiced. Excellent for adding some high end to dark, boomy Tweed Fenders, I don't really think they have much use beyond that. Though there are those who use ?10Q's in amps for searing stage tone that cuts through the mix.

 

The N's are king in my mind. Large ring magnet; big, tight bottom end, very full range of tone (fuller range than the R or Q). Just a big sound. I like Weber's model with a special order cone for more twang high-end (12F150W).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by jeverist

What about the differences between ceramic and alnico magnets(besides about $100 per speaker)? Are the alnicos really worth that much more or is it only because alnico is rare that they are more expensive?

 

 

AlNiCo

 

Aluminum Nickel Cobalt, the Cobalt is what causes the hgiher price.

 

Ceramics are generally more efficent, louder with thighter boittom end.

 

As to tone, Ted Webder says it best...

 

http://www.webervst.com/sptalk.html

 

-Y.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Wyatt

I most first state the caveat that I don't use the imported Jensen RI's, my experience is either with real vintage Jensens and great Weber clones.


The R's will give early break up, and be very raw and rauchy. I prefer them with an AlNiCo magnet (P??R) that refines the speaker breakup with some compression and smoothness that adds a lot of sweetness. The Ceramic magnet makes me think it built be a little harsh when pushed (heck, i don't even think Jensen made a Ceramic R in the old days). The R's are greta for that old raunghy blues tone and rockabilly tone, I would not pair them with a higher-gain break-amp, you'll less too much definition.


The Q's are bright, with less low end. That's the way they are voiced. Excellent for adding some high end to dark, boomy Tweed Fenders, I don't really think they have much use beyond that. Though there are those who use ?10Q's in amps for searing stage tone that cuts through the mix.


The N's are king in my mind. Large ring magnet; big, tight bottom end, very full range of tone (fuller range than the R or Q). Just a big sound. I like Weber's model with a special order cone for more twang high-end (12F150W).

 

 

Great!! I didn't think the Q was brighter and less lowend, due to its bigger magnet!! has anyone tried their MOD series?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by mooseeka



Great!! I didn't think the Q was brighter and less lowend, due to its bigger magnet!! has anyone tried their MOD series?

 

for like $60 you can get an eminence texas heat or something similar...i just got a wizard for my classic30 and LUV it :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...