Promod vs. Quickrod I have a couple questions

Sordid1

• Members

Ok, so I understand they are both basically hotrodded Marshall type's of tones and from the Splawn website they are the same preamp but different transformers, choke and tubes. My question is this, is the Quickrod that much more vintage sounding than the Promod or is it a subtle kind of thing? I want an old school metal kind of tone but I want to be able to play fairly modern types of stuff from time to time. So close are completely different?

• Members

I've never played the ProMod but I do own a Quick Rod (with clean channel EQ but no three-way gain switch).

I will say the QR is very versatile and "can do" higher-gain stuff...I only use the Gain at 11:30 so plenty of Gain on tap.

Buyer Beware: You may not be able to use your SD-1 with this amp...mine squeels when I try to use it....but, I'm thinking, that may be because I use the stock pick-ups in my 1990's RG770s (Di Marzios)...perhaps switching to pups with less gain might do the trick.

These Splawns are great amps and a wise investment...and Scott and his customer service is unbeatable in my book. He is one of the more amazing business owners I've ever met (in any industry).

:)

• Members

slight correction for ya, Sordid =)

they have the exact same transformer now...scott uses heyboers in both amps..the only differnece is one used KT88 tubes and the other uses mullar EL34's..and both have the same exact pre amp section

so, you could, in all reality, convert one into the other, with new tubes and a bias...

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

slight correction for ya, Sordid =)

they have the exact same transformer now...scott uses heyboers in both amps..the only differnece is one used KT88 tubes and the other uses mullar EL34's..and both have the same exact pre amp section

so, you could, in all reality, convert one into the other, with new tubes and a bias...

Thanks Shredder, I think when I get to it the Qucikrod is going to be my bitch! I really love the el34 sound as of late and I think it would fit my bands music very well too.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Thanks Shredder, I think when I get to it the Qucikrod is going to be my bitch! I really love the el34 sound as of late and I think it would fit my bands music very well too.

gonna be your bitch? lol

just don't say that to scott when he calls you..it's his baby and he's a very religious man ;)

and from clips I've heard, it can do modern for ya too..since I saw that was a concern of yours =)

I think I might just go postal if I don't get mine soon..lol

• Members

gonna be your bitch? lol

just don't say that to scott when he calls you..it's his baby and he's a very religious man
;)

and from clips I've heard, it can do modern for ya too..since I saw that was a concern of yours =)

I think I might just go postal if I don't get mine soon..lol

well I think the third gear thing is really cool and it has all the features I want like seperate eq and a solo boost so I think it will be the one. I might go used on it when I do just to save a few hundred bucks and also if I don't like it I can turn around and sell it for what I paid.

• Members

well I think the third gear thing is really cool and it has all the features I want like seperate eq and a solo boost so I think it will be the one. I might go used on it when I do just to save a few hundred bucks and also if I don't like it I can turn around and sell it for what I paid.

as long as it's comming from a good home, nothing wrong with used..I might've gotten mine used if I coulda found the separate eq and the third gear mod...but those are only a couple months old

• Members

as long as it's comming from a good home, nothing wrong with used..I might've gotten mine used if I coulda found the separate eq and the third gear mod...but those are only a couple months old

well it's going to be at least six months I fear so it shouldn't be an issue. I would only buy from someone on here as well.

• Members

Shredder, if possible can you wait till you get your amp to sell the Gflex and run it through it? I want to see if they are a good match or not but I love my cab and don't want to part with it. I have played a few heads through my Gflex though and none of them sound bad so far.

• Members

Shredder, if possible can you wait till you get your amp to sell the Gflex and run it through it? I want to see if they are a good match or not but I love my cab and don't want to part with it. I have played a few heads through my Gflex though and none of them sound bad so far.

who do you think you are sir! to demand such a thing of me!

;)

I don't plan on gettin' rid of it till I have the splawn amp AND cab in hand..

I sold my line 6 cab to help pay for the gflex and I was without a cab for about two weeks..and that sucked ass..not doin' it again..that's why when people ask about the gflex I let them know that it'll be a couple weeks...that and I plan on using the box that the splawn stuff comes in to ship the gflex..lol

and i'm kinda curious too..no worries..I'll hook ya up

• Members

who do you think you are sir! to demand such a thing of me!

;)

I don't plan on gettin' rid of it till I have the splawn amp AND cab in hand..

I sold my line 6 cab to help pay for the gflex and I was without a cab for about two weeks..and that sucked ass..not doin' it again..that's why when people ask about the gflex I let them know that it'll be a couple weeks...that and I plan on using the box that the splawn stuff comes in to ship the gflex..lol

and i'm kinda curious too..no worries..I'll hook ya up

Thanks, are you getting the Splawn 2x12 or 4x12? Just curious because A. if it's the 2x12 the Gflex cabs are huge and also if it's a 4x12 you might like having a 2x12 as well as the 4x12.

• Members

Thanks, are you getting the Splawn 2x12 or 4x12? Just curious because A. if it's the 2x12 the Gflex cabs are huge and also if it's a 4x12 you might like having a 2x12 as well as the 4x12.

I ended up going with the 4x12 with the redcoat X pattern..

I don't think the splawn 2x12 cabs are quite as big as the gflex 2x12

I'd love to have multiple cabs..but the sale of the gflex is going towards the splawn =) only so much money on the money tree this year..lol

• Members

I ended up going with the 4x12 with the redcoat X pattern..

I don't think the splawn 2x12 cabs are quite as big as the gflex 2x12

I'd love to have multiple cabs..but the sale of the gflex is going towards the splawn =) only so much money on the money tree this year..lol

I hear you and a red head would look kind of dumb on a black cab imho of course. I guess if I get the head and for some weird reason it doesn't sound good with the g-flex I can always sell that cab and get the matching Splawn but for some reason I don't see it as being an issue.

• Members

I hear you and a red head would look kind of dumb on a black cab imho of course. I guess if I get the head and for some weird reason it doesn't sound good with the g-flex I can always sell that cab and get the matching Splawn but for some reason I don't see it as being an issue.

red? that's not my color scheme...black, white piping, clear lexan fronted pro mod case with white control panel and black chicken knobs =D what made ya think I got red? lol..although, the purple's been kinda growing on me...oh well! too late now..hahah...tha'ts ok though..i think mine'll look badass =)

anyway, like you said...u could always sell the gflex..who knows, maybe the splawn would wake up the XXX even more =)

I see them on ebay for good prices every so often..so you could go that route as well..

maybe when I get my new rig you can call me and hear how it sounds without my {censored}ty pc mic disgracing it..LOL

• Members

red? that's not my color scheme...black, white piping, clear lexan fronted pro mod case with white control panel and black chicken knobs =D what made ya think I got red? lol..although, the purple's been kinda growing on me...oh well! too late now..hahah...tha'ts ok though..i think mine'll look badass =)

anyway, like you said...u could always sell the gflex..who knows, maybe the splawn would wake up the XXX even more =)

Well I have played my XXX through just about every possible cab out there or at least every speaker combo and the Gflex is bar none the best match for the head. The only amps it doesn't seem to fair well with are naturally dark ones and if the Splawn sounds like I think it's going to it won't be an issue. I thought you said something about a red cab or something but i'm probably crazy!

• Members

Had a Pro mod about a year ago with no clean EQ. The clean channel sucked big time. (Sorry Scott but its true) also the distortion wasnt my thing. Maybe it was KT88's but not sure cause I had a VHT pitbull 100 back in the early 90's with them in it and that amp kicked ass so maybe something was wrong with it, not sure. Wish I hadnt gotten rid of that VHT casue havent found a VHT to sound like that one again. I was younger oh so stupid to sell it. Anyway I got a Quick Rod about 3 months ago on a trial basis and loved the thing to death so I kept it.

It will do modern to classic very well IMHO especially with the gear switching. Also the clean eq makes the clean much better but to get it where I like it I use the an eq and compressor in my GT 8

IMHO get the Quick Rod.

• Members

Originally posted by ejecta

Had a Pro mod about a year ago with no clean EQ. The clean channel sucked big time. (Sorry Scott but its true) also the distortion wasnt my thing or something was wrong with it. I got a Quick Rod about 3 months ago on a trial basis and loved the thing so I kept it.

It will do modern to classic very well IMHO especially with the gear switching. Also the clean eq makes the clean much better but to get it where I like it I use the an eq and compressor in my GT 8

IMHO get the Quick Rod.

Thanks man, I was pretty sure that is the right one for me with the research I have done but it's hard to tell on paper which amp is going to be better. And yes Shredder got a gig tonight.

Archived