OT: Does This sound fishy (Ebay-related)

rgt320

• Members

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for you experienced Ebayers. I have been approached by a potential bidder (for my Shiva) in Canada (only 2 transactions as a buyer in almost 4 years, but both feedbacks were positive).

He says that he would like to bid on my amp, but would like the amp shipped to a U.S. address. He is willing to pay me with a MO (in U.S. funds), and is okay with waiting for the funds to clear before I ship.

Just this sound like a reasonable request, or is there some potential trap I can fall in?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Attila

• Members
Originally posted by rgt320

Thanks guys
:)
I haven't asked him for the address, but the customs fee theory seems reasonable.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of scam I might be opening up myself to.

Thanks again for the input.

-Attila

If you do it, make CERTAIN the MO clears before shipping it, and by the way, with an MO, the funds appear in your account right away (at least they do mine), but that doesn't mean it's cleared.

• Members

Originally posted by this is paul

just be careful, and wait a few days before you send. MO's will clear the bank, but if its a scammer the MO will be fake and a few days later your bank will be calling you for funds. then youll be screwed. not trying to scare you, just some friendly words of advice.

It depends on the bank, but I'd tell the buyer that 7 business days are required for clearing.

• Members

Originally posted by Deicide1

Hmm, well, thanks for clearing that up for me Bob. I was told by someone years ago that MOs didn't need to clear because they were certified or something a long those lines.

As far as I know, any non-cash, paper transaction between institutions has to clear because funds need to be transferred.

Archived